Sign in to follow this  

In seriousness it'll be interesting to see where he goes, Man City could be a good destination for him but I imagine it'll be PSG or China

Interesting wording in the statement.”  Player and Club reached an agreement but ‘Spanish Liga regulations’ means there are obstacles“ 

Barcelona to be his next club wouldn’t be the worst bet in the world.
La liga will want to keep the worlds best player in their league 

Edited by Virtual reality

4 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Interesting wording in the statement.”  Player and Club reached an agreement but ‘Spanish Liga regulations’ means there are obstacles“ 

Barcelona to be his next club wouldn’t be the worst bet in the world.
La liga will want to keep the worlds best player in their league 

BBC said that Barca would need to cut £172m off their wage bill to be able to meet FFP if Messi were to stay!

Surely even Man City won't give a 34 year old a 5 year contract worth over £100m a year. PSG will though - and hopefully will still not win Ligue 1 let alone the CL.

16 minutes ago, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

So now we know why Webber has been so quiet on our transfer activity.

Will be nice for Pukki to have some real competition for his starting place.

He could be the "tank" that Webber described

15 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Surely even Man City won't give a 34 year old a 5 year contract worth over £100m a year. PSG will though - and hopefully will still not win Ligue 1 let alone the CL.

Can psg afford to whilst sticking in uefa's ffp after he the french TV deal collapsed?

I'm not sure how they could fudge it and add that much extra expenditure unless they sold a couple of their big earners...

Can’t see Man City signing a 34 year old on a ridiculous salary, otherwise they would have offered Aguero a new deal. Can’t see PSG signing him after the French tv deal collapsed either. If he goes to an English club I can only see it being Villa, considering the amount they seem to be willing to spend this summer. I think the USA or China is probably most likely, as that’s where big names wanting big salaries tend to go towards the end of their careers

35 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Can’t see Man City signing a 34 year old on a ridiculous salary, otherwise they would have offered Aguero a new deal. Can’t see PSG signing him after the French tv deal collapsed either. If he goes to an English club I can only see it being Villa, considering the amount they seem to be willing to spend this summer. I think the USA or China is probably most likely, as that’s where big names wanting big salaries tend to go towards the end of their careers

I think China seem to have cooled their horses recently as well with govt cracking down on ostentatious wealth a bit. He could end up in the middle East or possibly even back in Argentina, it's not like he actually needs money anymore...

7 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I think China seem to have cooled their horses recently as well with govt cracking down on ostentatious wealth a bit. He could end up in the middle East or possibly even back in Argentina, it's not like he actually needs money anymore...

Can he sign for us then? 

46 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Can’t see Man City paying his wages after committing to this ridiculous package 

It was reported earlier in the day by a few sources that Villa were offering him more than he would earn at Man City, and I can't see any way both of these stories can be true.

17 hours ago, AJ said:

In seriousness it'll be interesting to see where he goes, Man City could be a good destination for him but I imagine it'll be PSG or China

If I were one of the worlds best ever players earning around £100m pa. I would probably have enough in the pension fund to avoid going to China & ending my career in a micky mouse league surrounded by people I couldn't understand.

Given the difficulties PSG would have signing him I don't see him going there either. US would be my bet but I wouldn't discount City (Manchester variety unfortunately) as a good outside bet. Still young enough to test himself in a top league for a year or two & then off to US for a last big pay day. However, I doubt the big money will stop the day he does hand up his boots. Mr Beckham seems to have done quite well in retirement & he wasn't quite the player Messi is/was!  

6 minutes ago, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

If I were one of the worlds best ever players earning around £100m pa. I would probably have enough in the pension fund to avoid going to China & ending my career in a micky mouse league surrounded by people I couldn't understand.

Given the difficulties PSG would have signing him I don't see him going there either. US would be my bet but I wouldn't discount City (Manchester variety unfortunately) as a good outside bet. Still young enough to test himself in a top league for a year or two & then off to US for a last big pay day. However, I doubt the big money will stop the day he does hand up his boots. Mr Beckham seems to have done quite well in retirement & he wasn't quite the player Messi is/was!  

I could see him going back to Argentina to play

£100m pa doesn't mean you are then prepared to play for nothing. 

I know next to nothing about Argentina's domestic leagues but I would doubt anyone there could afford to pay him even a modest salary (by his standards).

Man City could even sign him on a 6 and a bit year deal in a global farewell tour to take him to 40.... 2 years at Man City, 2 years at New York City, 2 years at Melbourne City, then a swansong for Mumbai City. 

38 minutes ago, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

£100m pa doesn't mean you are then prepared to play for nothing. 

I know next to nothing about Argentina's domestic leagues but I would doubt anyone there could afford to pay him even a modest salary (by his standards).

Yeah his hometown team (Newells Old Boys) their highest paid player is currently only on 13k a week. 

But its where he started out as a 12 year old and he's talked in the past of ending his career there, 

I could see them offering him part ownership or something in lieu of wages.