Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Cantwell. Surely there comes a time to draw the line on more

Sales?

I don’t want to hear this “any fee will have to be a record fee” line. I want the club to say we are not selling any more of our top players in this window as we want to stay in this league.

Notwithstanding the opposition I can’t see how anyone could watch that friendly last night and how we played going forward snd the team we were able to put out and conclude it’s in any way acceptable for us to sell him to someone like Villa at this moment in time. I just wish that the fanbase would put more pressure on the club not to sell rather than just blindly accepting it. 

• Like 1

Cantwell. Surely there comes a time to draw the line on more...

...threads about Cantwell?

• Haha 1

I think I’d be in agreement if he had 3 or 4 years to run on his contract, I just think that any move we now make is a big gamble, one in which only survival will reward them with credit, but the decision to stick with Todd or to sell could have so many different outcomes. 

We could keep him and stay up= they get a pat on the back

We could keep him and go down= they get criticised for not selling to strengthen 

We could sell him and stay up= they get credit for being brave and strengthening 

We could sell and go down= they get torn apart for selling after Emi leaves

but to add to that if Todd doesn’t sign a new deal then we are in a situation where we stay up but lose him anyway for half of what we might get now, we go down and lose him for even less than that, or we stay up and he moves on probably for closer to 30 than 40.

For me it simply depends on if the club can have targets lined up ready so that if we get a ridiculous bid we could actually make the team stronger; in that scenario would be a bit silly not to, as much as I dont want to lose Cantwell.

It depends how the money would be reinvested. We started off with a £20-30m budget allegedly and our net spend of circa minus £10m so far has pushed that even higher, so selling Cantwell could see us having potentially £60m to play with. That's four quality players, or two quality players and a stand.

To keep the likes of Cantwell we’d have to sell our souls and get one of those rich foreign owner types……..as we are we have to sell to develop into a stronger club, go back five years and compare how we’re now in such a strong position! Omobamdele, Mumba, Idah to name the next big three in our production line, and I’m sure there’s a few more to come too! Will Idah be the next big player we need to draw the line on?

Just now, Indy said:

To keep the likes of Cantwell we’d have to sell our souls and get one of those rich foreign owner types……..as we are we have to sell to develop into a stronger club, go back five years and compare how we’re now in such a strong position! Omobamdele, Mumba, Idah to name the next big three in our production line, and I’m sure there’s a few more to come too! Will Idah be the next big player we need to draw the line on?

I’m not talking about occasionally having to sell players (although it’s ironic that the only thing that apparently is not up for sale is the club itself which is why we need to sell everything else) I’m talking about selling one of our star players, now, in the same window as Emi immediately following promotion snd at a time we are told we have no financial need to sell. I realise that many in our support have been conditioned into accepting that selling is just how it has to be but that is not correct. I don’t think any other fanbase in football would accept two of their three star players being sold immediately following promotion.

any new players will take time to bed in and frankly are a risk full stop. They may flop. No guarantee at all we can definitely strengthen the team in time if we bank the cash. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t want to hear this “any fee will have to be a record fee” line. I want the club to say we are not selling any more of our top players in this window as we want to stay in this league. 

Have to agree with this to an extent, we've struggled to utilise the Buendia funds at all and that sale was what 6-8 weeks ago? I appreciate things will most definitely kick off in these final few weeks, but how confident is Webber of being able to spend the Buendia revenues, and then the £35-40mil from Cantwell too? 

I think that is the kicker, if Webber is completely confident that we secure players A, B, C and D from selling Cantwell who are also our priority targets, then I will trust him to make the right call. 

Generally though, whatever price we get for Cantwell I think it puts us in a disastrous position for the start of the season, how quickly can Farke get a totally new-look attack to gel - in a side which will likely be struggling to pick up results and stay competitive?

We've seen plenty of players need time to bed in to the 'Farke' way before they really started to improve - Hernandez, Vrancic, Rupp, Steipermann, Cantwell, Zimmerman to name a few.

Of course we will be buying a better calibre of player but the point stands in that it is very unlikely that all our new signings will hit the ground running in an individual sense, and even more unlikely that the team will be a cohesive attacking unit. 

So however good the price is, selling Cantwell at this point in the window will fill me with dread.

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sales?

Notwithstanding the opposition I can’t see how anyone could watch that friendly last night and how we played going forward snd the team we were able to put out and conclude it’s in any way acceptable for us to sell him to someone like Villa at this moment in time. I just wish that the fanbase would put more pressure on the club not to sell rather than just blindly accepting it. 

Oh FFS 😂😂😂

To answer your question for the 14th millionth time this window, could it be because there are plenty of people out there that are of their OWN RIGHTFUL OPINION that WON’T change just to suit YOUR closed minded mantra that believe £40mil could significantly strengthen 3 areas rather than just the 1, thus making us a BETTER and more SUCCESSFUL team? Believe it or not, it could happen!

Y’know, perhaps it’s as simple as that, Jim - those that disagree with you, actually really do disagree and that’s their right? 

It is tiresome in truth because we all know each other’s opinions on this on here, especially yours - it’s been done to bleeding death for Christ’s sake.

• Like 3

@Jim Smith Jim, you have to recognise that Cantwell has a say in this - it is not just a club decision. If the club said "we are not selling" then Cantwell would have every reason to be cross as you would effectively be stopping him from possible career development.

As it happens, I am quite sure he would be happy staying this season if no offer comes in that is high enough for the club to consider, but he has every right to think about moving if an offer comes in that is high enough. 

It might feel wrong to you, but that is the way of it and if he is sold it gives others opportunities and us the ability to buy players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

To keep the likes of Cantwell we’d have to sell our souls and get one of those rich foreign owner types……..

I don't think things are THAT bleak Indy. 

As @Badger @Badger @Badger (not sure which one) has been saying over the past few days - our financial position in terms of wages in our most recent prem season was not that far off the likes of Watford and Southampton. And that was our season of reconciliation. 

If we can manage to stay up then players like Cantwell should be ones we look to keep hold of and we should hopefully start to see more competitive wages (with the lower-end of the prem at least).

It is not something that will happen overnight but if we can manage a sustained period of PL football then we would start to see some incremental increases I am sure. 

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Oh FFS 😂😂😂

To answer your question for the 14th millionth time this window, could it be because there are plenty of people out there that are of their OWN RIGHTFUL OPINION that WON’T change just to suit YOUR closed minded mantra that believe £40mil could significantly strengthen 3 areas rather than just the 1, thus making us a BETTER and more SUCCESSFUL team? Believe it or not, it could happen!

Y’know, perhaps it’s as simple as that, Jim - those that disagree with you, actually really do disagree and that’s their right? 

It is tiresome in truth because we all know each other’s opinions on this on here, especially yours - it’s been done to bleeding death for Christ’s sake.

That was why we sold Emi wasn’t it? Or can it just be trotted out now every time they want to sell a player? 

If the fans really need to be mobilised then the obvious solution is a crowd-funded appeal to pay for a ‘Cantwell must stay’ banner to be flown over Carrow Road.

• Haha 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

@Jim Smith Jim, you have to recognise that Cantwell has a say in this - it is not just a club decision. If the club said "we are not selling" then Cantwell would have every reason to be cross as you would effectively be stopping him from possible career development.

As it happens, I am quite sure he would be happy staying this season if no offer comes in that is high enough for the club to consider, but he has every right to think about moving if an offer comes in that is high enough. 

It might feel wrong to you, but that is the way of it and if he is sold it gives others opportunities and us the ability to buy players.

I have a problem with it just being blindly accepted that moving to a club on whose ground we were crowned champions a couple of years ago is “career development” to be honest. We make ourselves small. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I’m not talking about occasionally having to sell players (although it’s ironic that the only thing that apparently is not up for sale is the club itself which is why we need to sell everything else) I’m talking about selling one of our star players, now, in the same window as Emi immediately following promotion snd at a time we are told we have no financial need to sell. I realise that many in our support have been conditioned into accepting that selling is just how it has to be but that is not correct. I don’t think any other fanbase in football would accept two of their three star players being sold immediately following promotion.

any new players will take time to bed in and frankly are a risk full stop. They may flop. No guarantee at all we can definitely strengthen the team in time if we bank the cash. 

Have we sold Cantwell yet? Has it occurred to you that Cantwell may have already asked to go if the clubs fee is met? Would you be happy to keep Cantwell be relegated and then fire sell as he’s only got 6 months before he could agree to go on a free next summer? 
I’m all for keeping our better players and unlike others I don’t care who owns the club, I’m not conditioned as you put it, I’m a realist who understands that our owner have the right to do as they wish and you bleating on about something which you have zero influence on just sounds like a kid wanting more than his parents can afford!

So how about being happy to see just how good this squad is, how we’ve improved in five seasons even with selling four top players for over £ 100 million. Give some credit to Webber.,

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Oh FFS 😂😂😂

I think Jim does raise a good point in that there should come a time amongst these player sales where we really do have to say no, particularly given we've seen little to no investment from the Buendia sale as yet. 

£33 mil for Buendia at the start of the window? Sure. 

£40 mil for Cantwell 4 weeks before the end of the window? We'll take it. 

£35 mil for Aarons 2 weeks before the end of the window? Alrighty then

£25 mil for Pukki on deadline day? Errrr **** it I guess?

We've bagged £130mil but lost nearly every key player from our team from last season and Farke / Webber have a huge job to bring in new players and get everything to work. 

So at what point would you draw the line? 

I think Jim clearly draws the line after the Buendia sale. 

I personally think we could make the Cantwell sale, IF Webber is totally confident in our replacement options, but it is a sale I would rather not see. 

You would obviously be happy with the Buendia and Cantwell sales, so would you be happy with more sales too? Aarons? Pukki? Krul? Etc etc

• Like 3

Same answer, if the player is dead set on leaving and a big offer is recieved then he will be sold. It does nobody any good to have an unhappy player here. Hopefully though that isnt the case and he stays and has a great season here but if like Buendia he doesn't want to be here and can treble his wages elsewhere its absolutely pointless keeping him. 

• Like 1

I really want us to sign this Greek kid.. ok he's 19 and we don't know a lot about him but I personally think he'll turn out class.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I have a problem with it just being blindly accepted that moving to a club on whose ground we were crowned champions a couple of years ago is “career development” to be honest. We make ourselves small. 

But the way it works is that if an offer comes in from anywhere and Cantwell wants to go to that club, then as long as that offer is high enough, then there is nothing you or I can do about it so we have to crack on and look for new heroes. I'm totally with you, I don't think Villa, for all their spending, will necessarily do any better than us this season. I don't think Buendia will do as well there as he did at Norwich, I don't think Cantwell would do well there either - the club has a history of underacheiving and overly high expectations and pressure from the fans.

I wanted Buendia stay and be part of this season, then do so well that a top six club would want him next season for much more money. I want Cantwell to stay for the same reason, but if they want to go and the offer is high enough, that is up to them. It's their careers and if they think Villa is the place to be, let them go and find out for themselves it maybe isn't so great.

The one thing I do know for sure is that mithering about it isn't going to help and that if players are sold we just have to look for how their replacements step into the team.  From what I saw the other night, we have reasons to be optimistic that Gilmour and Lees-Melou offer something that may prove to be superb this season - and we haven't even seen much of Rashica yet - and may yet get other exciting players in, especially if another one of our stars is sold.

Just now, Gordon Bennett said:

Same answer, if the player is dead set on leaving and a big offer is recieved then he will be sold. It does nobody any good to have an unhappy player here. Hopefully though that isnt the case and he stays and has a great season here but if like Buendia he doesn't want to be here and can treble his wages elsewhere its absolutely pointless keeping him. 

Look at Harry Kane for example. Not turning up to training. That makes a contract pointless too, but at least spurs are fining the kn0b. I do like kane but he's going the wrong way about his situation 

The disposals will continue until we have owners with the necessary wealth to enable us to at least have a go at trying to stay up. Selling all of our best players doesn’t seem the most efficacious strategy for PL survival.

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

That was why we sold Emi wasn’t it? Or can it just be trotted out now every time they want to sell a player? 

So Jim, ignoring the fact that it was Emi that had decided his time here was done, where are all these shiny new signings going to come from that make us competitive in the Premier League then? You know, the ones that cost shoite loads of money? Seriously, I’m all ears and actually cannot wait for your clear ground breaking solution 👍

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

So Jim, ignoring the fact that it was Emi that had decided his time here was done, where are all these shiny new signings going to come from that make us competitive in the Premier League then? You know, the ones that cost shoite loads of money? Seriously, I’m all ears and actually cannot wait for your clear ground breaking solution 👍

You know his solution: pop down to Billionaires R Us, and pick one up off the shelf. 

Being a prudent man, he will make sure that the  billionaire promises to just give us the money - "cross my fingers and hope to die if I don't."

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think Jim does raise a good point in that there should come a time amongst these player sales where we really do have to say no, particularly given we've seen little to no investment from the Buendia sale as yet. 

£33 mil for Buendia at the start of the window? Sure. 

£40 mil for Cantwell 4 weeks before the end of the window? We'll take it. 

£35 mil for Aarons 2 weeks before the end of the window? Alrighty then

£25 mil for Pukki on deadline day? Errrr **** it I guess?

We've bagged £130mil but lost nearly every key player from our team from last season and Farke / Webber have a huge job to bring in new players and get everything to work. 

So at what point would you draw the line? 

I think Jim clearly draws the line after the Buendia sale. 

I personally think we could make the Cantwell sale, IF Webber is totally confident in our replacement options, but it is a sale I would rather not see. 

You would obviously be happy with the Buendia and Cantwell sales, so would you be happy with more sales too? Aarons? Pukki? Krul? Etc etc

We can’t judge the Buendia sale yet because the windows not done, not that it changes anything because Emi wanted out despite Jim’s hilarious delusions of grandeur that he wanted to lead us to the Champions League final but mean Mr Webber and Bond baddie Daniel Farke forced him out kicking and screaming - utterly hilarious 😂😂😂

The bottom line is this. He doesn’t actually think, he arrogantly KNOWS, there’s no way we can end up better off for selling one player and say buying in three. He refuses to accept that could happen. A player incidentally that we can’t gamble will be worth more money next summer because his damn contract is running down. So it’s called boxing clever with intelligent gambling. Which is the whole damn model. Repeat that buying and selling process ad infinitum and that’s the way we’ll get to where we want to be without the… jeeeeez I don’t even want to f***ing mention the bleedin’ mythical beast!…. The BILLIONAIRE INVESTOR! 😍😍😍🍾🍾🍾 💵 💵💵

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Well that’s a surprise, I had no idea you felt that way Jim.

Well we know that you would response this way.. so no surprise you are happy at another major talent leaving for a rival.