Midlands Yellow

1st Test England v India

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Root is a great player but very poor captain. Decision making this morning was woeful. 

Who else captains? None of the other batsmen even deserve a place in the side, never mind being banged on regulars in with a shout of captaining. Anderson? Agree Root is poor though but what else have we got.

Edit: meaning there Root poor as captain - obvs a very good batsman!

Edited by Aggy

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Who else captains? None of the other batsmen even deserve a place in the side, never mind being banged on regulars in with a shout of captaining. Anderson? Agree Root is poor though but what else have we got.

Edit: meaning there Root poor as captain - obvs a very good batsman!

Brearley captained without really deserving a place in the side as a batsman, in my opinion 

But I am not sure if there is another Brearley out there, and if there is, whether he has a Botham to turn to

47 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Brearley captained without really deserving a place in the side as a batsman, in my opinion 

But I am not sure if there is another Brearley out there, and if there is, whether he has a Botham to turn to

In fairness, given how poor the current crop are, you may as well chuck someone in for captaincy alone. Difficult to weaken the batting line up.

Agnew is suggesting bumping Hameed up to open with Burns and bringing Pope in for number 3 which sounds worth a shot. 

Root won't be captain past Australia unless there is a minor miracle of a result. England captains don't survive getting waxed by the Aussies. Up until this summer I'd have thought about Stokes to captain but that clearly wouldn't help his current mental health struggles.

Despite Root handling the morning session poorly, it isn't his fault if our openers cannot bat at this level.

Why keep Burns? Shami scored as many. His dismissal in the second innings showed how bad his technique is against good bowlers. And Sibley is even worse. The pair of them need to get back to basics, take a normal stance at the crease and learn to bring the bat down straight. And we don't need two prodders opening. One needs to get on with it. Neither of them will get an invite to the Hundred.

Hameed is essentially an opener so yes he should be put in to open but he is little more than a prodder. So why not him and Bairstow opening, Malan at three, Root at four, Pope at five, Stokes (when fit) at six, then Butler at seven, then four bowlers of which one should be a spinner.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aggy said:

In fairness, given how poor the current crop are, you may as well chuck someone in for captaincy alone.

How about Eoin Morgan, any runs a bonus and he's a very experienced and proactive captain and a steadying influence?

Apples

There's a gap of 9 days between the end of the last test and the start of the next

All the batsmen should be sent back to their counties to play the next round of championship games and told to make centuries, or at least bat for 2 sessions in one of the innings, if they want to play the next test

Can anyone see a problem with this?

18 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

There's a gap of 9 days between the end of the last test and the start of the next

All the batsmen should be sent back to their counties to play the next round of championship games and told to make centuries, or at least bat for 2 sessions in one of the innings, if they want to play the next test

Can anyone see a problem with this?

We wouldn’t have any batsmen in the next test?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Aggy said:

We wouldn’t have any batsmen in the next test?

No

That's not the problem 

The problem is that there are NO championship games and no chance for our batsmen to get some time in the middle 

So Sibley is out of the squad and Pope is back in. 

Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Haseeb i Hameed, Dan Lawrence, Saqib Mahmood, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Mark Wood

I'd go for...

Burns

Hameed

Malan

Root

Bairstow

Buttler

Ali

Curran

Wood

Robinson

Anderson

6 hours ago, king canary said:

So Sibley is out of the squad and Pope is back in. 

Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Haseeb i Hameed, Dan Lawrence, Saqib Mahmood, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Mark Wood

I'd go for...

Burns

Hameed

Malan

Root

Bairstow

Buttler

Ali

Curran

Wood

Robinson

Anderson

Think that’s likely to be it. I’d like to see Mahmood and Pope given a go but difficult to see where they come in for this one. I don’t massively rate Curran but probably done enough to keep his place for now. Maybe 4th test, if the above doesn’t come off in the 3rd test, you drop one of the top three, and either give Pope a go at 3 to try and make it his own, or move Bairstow to three, Pope in at 5. 

I still think the openers are both prodders.

I would like someone who attacks a bit more. You see off Bumrah and Shami and Ishant and Siraj come on so you aren't gaining much by being 11-0 after 10 overs.

17 hours ago, Aggy said:

Think that’s likely to be it. I’d like to see Mahmood and Pope given a go but difficult to see where they come in for this one. I don’t massively rate Curran but probably done enough to keep his place for now. Maybe 4th test, if the above doesn’t come off in the 3rd test, you drop one of the top three, and either give Pope a go at 3 to try and make it his own, or move Bairstow to three, Pope in at 5. 

Curran obviously drops out if Woakes or Stokes are available but he's an OK all rounder at this level.

We should memorize this, could be a while before we see a score like that again. 

Cricket.jpg

On 20/08/2021 at 11:30, keelansgrandad said:

I still think the openers are both prodders.

I would like someone who attacks a bit more. You see off Bumrah and Shami and Ishant and Siraj come on so you aren't gaining much by being 11-0 after 10 overs.

Patience KG, you must have been watching too much white ball. I'll take 11-0 after 10 overs if it leads to 135 for the first wicket.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Patience KG, you must have been watching too much white ball. I'll take 11-0 after 10 overs if it leads to 135 for the first wicket.

Couldn't agree more. I liked the way Hameed applied himself . Still not ideal , but we were spoilt for choice a few years ago... Prefer him over Sibley!

How incredibly lucky are we to currently be watching Jimmy Anderson (England's greatest ever bowler) and Joe Root (England's greatest ever batsman) playing in the same team at the same time? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

India 215-2 at close 

If they bat all day tomorrow....😱

But they didn't last until lunch😀

Edited by keelansgrandad

Blimey I missed that. I left work at 11 30 with one wicket gone and it's all over by the time I get home. 😥😀

Interesting to see after our pitiful efforts in the 2nd Test we've rebounded excellently. Robinson looks a real find- we've just got to hope Burns, Hameed and co can continue their sterling efforts from the last test. Unfortunately our strong start looks like it could end up rendering my day 5 ticket entirely meaningless.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Interesting to see after our pitiful efforts in the 2nd Test we've rebounded excellently. Robinson looks a real find- we've just got to hope Burns, Hameed and co can continue their sterling efforts from the last test. Unfortunately our strong start looks like it could end up rendering my day 5 ticket entirely meaningless.

Failed again. Do you get a refund?

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Failed again. Do you get a refund?

Ha, yes I think so. 

Burns is so frustrating- he's shown he's capable but he's wildly inconsistent. He either gets a 50 or less than 10. He'd be much more useful if he could jusy consistently get 20 or so just so Root can come in with the team on 50/60 at least instesd of the 10 or 15 he often has to. 

Yep- suddenly lucked out into a finely poised day 5! Saying that I'm sure we'll end up losing 5 wickets before lunch tomorrow to ruin all the optimism.