Midlands Yellow

1st Test England v India

2 hours ago, king canary said:

This is the life! 

IMG_20210906_104236.jpg

Fingers crossed for an exciting afternoon, I would hate to see us trying to play out for the draw. Fortunately Root looks like he wants to have a go!

Utter crap, go defensive and ultimately you’ll lose anyhow! Should have gone after them this morning, lose but lose by trying not by negative mindset, we had this from the poorer days of our test match squads. Full length balls and two awful defensive shots to allow what is pretty straightforward balls through the gate.

Edited by Indy

Cracking day out still as the Indian fans are always brilliant. Shame to see the middle order let us down after such good work by the openers for once. 

• Like 1

Quite rare but the first two did their jobs. Let down by some of the others but it was a very tough target to reach. Glad you had a day's worth of cricket rather than a refund as it was looking like earlier.👍

20 hours ago, Herman said:

Quite rare but the first two did their jobs. Let down by some of the others but it was a very tough target to reach. Glad you had a day's worth of cricket rather than a refund as it was looking like earlier.👍

Got to say Bumrah was immense. Bairstow's wicket was great technique.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

5th test cancelled due to covid amongst the Indian staff. India has conceded the test.

Series drawn 2-2

😟

SSN saying otherwise - not conceded, just cancelled and the ICC to determine the series result. Got to just null it really - not sure England deserve a draw but can’t see how India can win it either with a test to go at 2-1.

22 minutes ago, Aggy said:

SSN saying otherwise - not conceded, just cancelled and the ICC to determine the series result. Got to just null it really - not sure England deserve a draw but can’t see how India can win it either with a test to go at 2-1.

Indeed 

Apparently ECB have retracted the statement about forfeiture 

Harrison is having a giraffe. He says it was because of the players mental health and not covid.

Well I bet those depressed will be fine even though its in Dubai, when the IPL starts very soon.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Harrison is having a giraffe. He says it was because of the players mental health and not covid.

Well I bet those depressed will be fine even though its in Dubai, when the IPL starts very soon.

Indeed, all very distasteful, I hope that old Trafford get backing to sue the Indian cricket board for loss of money as the reality is they decided to call it off without real reason. If they had not been vaccinated and were at risk by playing then I have no issues with their decision, but it’s purely money driven by the IPL. Sad really.

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Indeed, all very distasteful, I hope that old Trafford get backing to sue the Indian cricket board for loss of money as the reality is they decided to call it off without real reason. If they had not been vaccinated and were at risk by playing then I have no issues with their decision, but it’s purely money driven by the IPL. Sad really.

Except that England did the same in South Africa...🤓

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Except that England did the same in South Africa...🤓

They did but under very different circumstances it must be remembered. 

Whatever the reasons were, it was a pity the series ended in that way, and not just because of the spectators being let down and the fact that it was an enthralling contest which most cricket fans would have been looking forward to seeing  concluded, but also because the selectors were denied a vital chance to get that brittle batting line-up sorted out before the Ashes.

There remain question marks against Habeeb, whilst I would have liked to have seen Pope establish himself. He is, imo, the most promising of the England youngsters. He reminds me of Ian Bell, although a television pundit (Warne?) recently likened him to Root himself.  He even looks like Ding Dong under that helmet. He might not get picked automatically now though with Buttler obviously secure as a 'keeper/batsman.

I should think that Stokes will return, so that means one has to drop out in any case. I feel that Wokes is essential, but would probably vie with Ali for a start. I suppose that Burns has done just about enough in that opening role, but the other opener spot would seem to be up for grabs, and I would, personally, consider trying Baistow there (has it been done before?) He hasn't excelled of late, but has shown many times in the past that he can take the kind of pressure he would be subject to down under; additionally he could liven up the start of the innings and give their attack more problems than the Indians faced, whilst dead batting effectively if required. Hales is a good shout, but Silverwood seems to be a bit of an old-school stickler.

Habeeb on the bench, so to speak. Ditto Crawley and Lawrence.

I have always rated Malan, experienced, cool and classy. A bit of a late starter as far as the international game goes, something not unknown, his exploits in the IPL demonstrate the kind of confidence needed in those Aussie cauldrons. 

Selection of the bowlers would seem reliant upon fitness and age. The old couple deserve a last run out in Australia, especially with Anderson seemingly ageless and chasing records, whilst Broad always excels against the old enemy, invariably putting the sh-ts up their batsmen, whilst infuriating the baying crowds in the way Shane Warne used to tease us.  

Robinson and Wood are certs to go, but a major pity about Archer.

The Aussies are uncharacteristically quite fragile at the moment, but they will always be at their best for England, and it will be a tough ask for our boys who will, as ever, need a strong backbone.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Astonishing - or perhaps not - revelations from Azeem Rafiq on racism in cricket. In the Mail Henry Deedes says this is a stain on the game of Compton and Edrich. Ironic given that Compton made frequent comments in support of apartheid in South Africa even after after many others of like mind had realised it was not the done thing any more and kept quiet.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Astonishing - or perhaps not - revelations from Azeem Rafiq on racism in cricket. In the Mail Henry Deedes says this is a stain on the game of Compton and Edrich. Ironic given that Compton made frequent comments in support of apartheid in South Africa even after after many others of like mind had realised it was not the done thing any more and kept quiet.

Haha! You mean a Daily Mail journalist couldn't be bothered to do some basic research before he blessed us all with his wisdom?