Midlands Yellow

1st Test England v India

After day 1 who would have predicted we would see the Indian 2nd innings at effectively two wickets down for nought?

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

1st 40 minutes crucial tomorrow 

Can we knock the tail over or will Pant score some quick runs?

As long as we knock off the ones at the other end, he might not get much chance.

Need to see some classic tail end clearing from Anderson and Wood.

I was skeptical about bringing Bairstow back but he's shown enough to stay in, even if he managed to get out in a traditionally stupid way. I think the commentary team may be right that he's benefitting from knowing he isn't a keeping option and can just focus on his batting.

Embarrasing performance turning a winnable match into one we'll have to scrap to draw. Root really isn't a test level captain.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

As long as we knock off the ones at the other end, he might not get much chance.

Credit to England where it's due 

There haven't been many test sides over the years capable of taking a fantastic opportunity and turning it into rat shít quite like that

😡

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Well wagged that tail. A draw likely or an England collapse. 🤨

I've never known a side as inconsistent as this current England squad. I know there's Covid and all that jazz, but some weeks they play like world no1's, others they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! 

• Like 1

Hopefully Sibley gets lucky, none of the five out of six he plays and misses find an edge, and he limps to a 250-ball 12 not out.

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Hopefully Sibley gets lucky, none of the five out of six he plays and misses find an edge, and he limps to a 250-ball 12 not out.

Too slow on that.

Apparently the first time both openers have been out for ducks in a home test.

Of course not, Burns and Sibley weren't playing cricket then.

45 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It was never going to turn into a chase with Burns and Sibley opening. And now we are playing for draw, we will probably struggle.

The chances of a chase were destroyed by our terrible tactics and bowling this morning- Sibley and Burns have just turned what should be a simple draw into a fight for survival. 

Now Root has gone.

I just honestly don't understand how a team can just disintegrate like this mentally. 

We went into this morning probably as slight favourites, India having a long tail and us with the new ball. Yet we let a batsman who averages 3 at test level get 34 not out and let India take total control of the game. Now our batsmen have come in and **** the bed and a game we should have been winning is now a game we'll be hugely lucky to even draw. 

Right now we just need to defend the wicket and we can't even do that. Curran for another golden duck...

I've enjoyed India's game today - batting and bowling. They deserve a victory (and at this moment can England hold on for another 18 overs?....it's unlikely). Changes needed badly for the next test.  Not convinced by Sibley nor Burns with his weird technique. Robinson has been one big plus in the series so far.

Edited by sonyc

It ought to have been impossible for England to lose this match, based on the position this morning. I don't follow the domestic game, but  ten or eleven years ago we had a fantastic test team that succeeded because the players had been brought up in red-ball four-day county cricket to bat and bowl properly. Even the Australians, who had always derided county cricket, said it was doing a better job than the Sheffield Shield of producing genuine test players.

Now apparently the emphasis has switched to ever more short version of hit and giggle cricket. The result being England have now only one batsmen (Root) who sounds like he is test class.

Root, Silverwood, Sibley and many others out of their depth. Made the Indian lower order look like Dravid and Chanderpaul. Pathetic.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

It ought to have been impossible for England to lose this match, based on the position this morning. I don't follow the domestic game, but  ten or eleven years ago we had a fantastic test team that succeeded because the players had been brought up in red-ball four-day county cricket to bat and bowl properly. Even the Australians, who had always derided county cricket, said it was doing a better job than the Sheffield Shield of producing genuine test players.

Now apparently the emphasis has switched to ever more short version of hit and giggle cricket. The result being England have now only one batsmen (Root) who sounds like he is test class.

To be fair, after the test side being very good for a good 10 or 15 years, you can’t really grumble if that was a deliberate strategy when it lead to a t20 World Cup runners up spot and winning the odi World Cup. Pre-Morgan era (2014/15ish?) it’s hard to say anything other than the opposite - that the short form had been overlooked for the benefit of the test side.