Sign in to follow this  
HazzaJet

VAR won’t penalise trivial things

Evolution of an technology a lot of us in principle liked the idea of before it **** application became evident. It feels silly to say, but theres visually offside(i.e. linesman) and actually offside(VAR) and it seems we're not happy with actually offside by a few milimetres

It was ALWAYS going to be nonsense, on the basis so much is subjective

Unfortunately the not too bright thought that like tennis and cricket decisions could be made based on the use of hindsight

The offside rule was not intended to, nor should it, be an exact science determined by technology - but simply a law to stop the game being 'spoilt' by goal hanging and long punts to them.

Similarly, what might be a 'robust foul does not attract a yellow card, but at the fifth time after a warning it does.

The rest of football survives without this idiocy, it is time it was dumped.

• Like 2

I’m very pleased. With the ridiculous offsides by a toenail etc I doubt the attacker had any idea they were offside 

Edited by HazzaJet

Pleased, but it has taken too long to get it sorted. Var was tested in match situations in 2013, officially started in competitions in places in 2016 and it is now 2021. Even in our PL season which showed what a mess it was should have been the catalyst to change some of the idiocy that surrounds the use of var.

So the technolgy should obviously have been used better than it was and it is a blight on the English refereeing set up that it has been such a debacle in the PL.  So good, they've changed it a bit - lets hope it works a bit better from now on. Seeing how the European refs in the Euros dealt with it much better, I'm not confident that the English refs will get it right now, but at least some of the issues appear to have been addressed properly.

About time.

"the technolgy should obviously have been used better than it was "

no, it has NO place in the game - full stop

what next - using it at music concerts to check performers are pitch 'perfect, the correct note was hit etc ?

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

"the technolgy should obviously have been used better than it was "

no, it has NO place in the game - full stop

what next - using it at music concerts to check performers are pitch 'perfect, the correct note was hit etc ?

Goal line?

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

It was ALWAYS going to be nonsense, on the basis so much is subjective

Unfortunately the not too bright thought that like tennis and cricket decisions could be made based on the use of hindsight

The offside rule was not intended to, nor should it, be an exact science determined by technology - but simply a law to stop the game being 'spoilt' by goal hanging and long punts to them.

Similarly, what might be a 'robust foul does not attract a yellow card, but at the fifth time after a warning it does.

The rest of football survives without this idiocy, it is time it was dumped.

The only way to make offside work with Technology, is to change the rule to work with the technology, not try to get the technology to work to the existing rules. 

Either dont do VAR and keep it as it was OR Change the offside rule so that only the feet count.  Then it becomes much easier for the technology to get it right, a chip in the ball too will tell you exactly when it was struck. 

VAR should do what it was always intended to do - spot clear and obvious errors, otherwise the benefit of the doubt should be given to the officiating team on the pitch. In the case of Raheem's penalty the penalty should still stand under that logic, the Ref gave a penalty and whatever way you look at it, there was contact so there was no clear and obvious error and the penalty rightly stood. Everything else should be the same, other than perhaps reporting things off the ball or perhaps where the ref was unsighted and missed something. 

VAR is fine as long as it's used sensibly and sparingly, which hasn't been the case since it's introduction. Last season it was overturning very debatable and borderline calls, and interrupting the game far too much, which just infuriates fans and, ironically, creates even more controversy than there was before.

Obviously you'll never attain perfection in a sport where the vast majority of decisions are subjective, but as long as you only VAR as a safety net in place to eliminate the 'shockers', i.e. the decisions that are clearly wrong, then it should be fine.

My problem is ‘soft penalties’ that have been given by the on-pitch referee - are they definitely going to be overruled?  The suggestion is that Sterling in the Euro s-f wouldn’t be given ‘by’ var, but the fact is it wasn’t given by var, it just didn’t see an obvious error. 

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My problem is ‘soft penalties’ that have been given by the on-pitch referee - are they definitely going to be overruled?  The suggestion is that Sterling in the Euro s-f wouldn’t be given ‘by’ var, but the fact is it wasn’t given by var, it just didn’t see an obvious error. 

'soft penalties' = cheating

'winning fouls' = cheating

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It looks like they'll be trying to give fewer soft penalties this season.

From Sky Sports:

Screenshot_20210803-095559.png

37 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Who decides what is trivial ? 😉

Sounds like a volunteer here! 

Are we going to see VAR decisions speeded up or expect to wait 3 mins.   

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Are we going to see VAR decisions speeded up or expect to wait 3 mins.   

Easy fix for that, 60 second countdown timer and if they can't come to a decision then they stick with the referees original decision.

39 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It looks like they'll be trying to give fewer soft penalties this season.

From Sky Sports:

Screenshot_20210803-095559.png

I thought it was already being used for this

41 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I thought it was already being used for this

The quotes from Riley aren't exactly clear (quelle surprise) but my interpretation of that quote is that they will look to give fewer penalties this season for minimal contact. 

It looks like there will be two added caveats this season:

There must be more significant contact which actually warrants a foul being given, and the player mustn't instigate it.

If my understanding of that is right (it may not be) and it's applied, then that can only be a good thing.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The quotes from Riley aren't exactly clear (quelle surprise) but my interpretation of that quote is that they will look to give fewer penalties this season for minimal contact. 

It looks like there will be two added caveats this season:

There must be more significant contact which actually warrants a foul being given, and the player mustn't instigate it.

If my understanding of that is right (it may not be) and it's applied, then that can only be a good thing.

Yes - it feel really sorry for the players who concede penalties when the attacker has just kicked the ball at their arm or had let themselves fall over. I also feel really sorry for the attackers who have had offsides given against them by just a few millimetres

We all wanted this introduced, but all those ridiculous offside decisions being given soon started driving everyone mad