Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Stick with current ownership/model or not

A subject that divides opinion but what do people think? Personally I’d like the club to go in a different direction but is that too risky. We can’t avoid discussion on the matter indefinitely but please let’s keep it civil. 

I think, irrespective of this forum, the current board and ownership has the support of approx 90% of the fanbase.

Thats evident when even in our poor seasons there is never a collective effort to protest the current ownership, and why the best they've had in the past 10 years is a few hundred people in a Facebook group who tried to organise a banner to be flown over the ground - resulting in a staggering £80 odd being raised.

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

I think, irrespective of this forum, the current board and ownership has the support of approx 90% of the fanbase.

Thats evident when even in our poor seasons there is never a collective effort to protest the current ownership, and why the best they've had in the past 10 years is a few hundred people in a Facebook group who tried to organise a banner to be flown over the ground - resulting in a staggering £80 odd being raised.

An excellent opening statement, I wasn’t impressed with the Facebook group either and never got my £5 donation back. 

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A subject that divides opinion but what do people think? Personally I’d like the club to go in a different direction but is that too risky. We can’t avoid discussion on the matter indefinitely but please let’s keep it civil. 

Would be nice if we could avoid it on this board for more than a couple of days to be honest. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 7

Even if we did get a ‘good’ rich owner, they couldn’t give me as interesting and exciting time as I’m having now football wise. I can guarantee you that, I love Webber’s and Farke’s visions and the REAL challenge of being the underdog taking on the plastic soulless clubs. In fact I’d get bored very very quickly if we could just buy who we liked, what a static existence, where would the thrill be of signing that player that we never thought we could?

So yeah let’s sell up and rip our amazing club apart 👍

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

An excellent opening statement, I wasn’t impressed with the Facebook group either and never got my £5 donation back. 

I'll be really honest here. That group was made up of a core of complete crooks, cowards and quite nasty people.

I joined it as I help mod another NCFC facebook group and we keep an eye out to ensure fellow fans aren't duped and if something goes down that is distasteful we know the people and can kick them or prevent them from joining our group.

I eventually got kicked out of it - I know, surprising right? - as one of their leaders, a chap from Colchester, who is incredibly vocal and incredibly nasty to people who don't agree with him got into a debate on a club/pinkun fb post.

I asked him what had happened to the money that was given to him and another chap to organise the airplane banner etc. Apparently they still have the money and didn't raise enough for a plane banner and have other banners being made with the money to be used as soon as covid allows. He also suggested there aren't any leaders of the group and it isn't representing any fans.

I found that a bit odd to be honest. They've taken money, are organising banners and cheerlead... but they are not representing anyone. Smells incredibly dodgy. I mean it is dodgy. Apparently, according to my sources, those two candidates are already on the Carrow Road watch list. Not that one of them even regularly attends.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Even if we did get a ‘good’ rich owner, they couldn’t give me as interesting and exciting time as I’m having now football wise. I can guarantee you that, I love Webber’s and Farke’s visions and the REAL challenge of being the underdog taking on the plastic soulless clubs. In fact I’d get bored very very quickly if we could just buy who we liked, what a static existence, where would the thrill be of signing that player that we never thought we could?

So yeah let’s sell up and rip our amazing club apart 👍

More very interesting points made, what about the counter argument that anyone under 40 would say that. 3rd, 4th and 5th place finishes, a run in Europe and two FA cup semis. Let’s not forget the league cup win in 85 and two other finals in the 70s too. 

I say stick, the problem with a rich owner is people always want more. Unless you are Man City, Chelsea or PSG there is still a budget it’s just how much an individual wants to put in. I actually quite like the certainty of trying to break even even if you don’t like it everyone knows where they stand. That certainty is actually  leads to real stability that player, manager and fans can buy into.

Edited by Ulfotto

I have to say though, this is so weird that it’s even being discussed these days, it’s normally when everything’s looking doom and gloom, and right now I think nearly all Norwich supporters are also enjoying the adventure, as we’re on the up and not the down - you’d have to be one seriously miserable and pessimistic supporter or fan not to be. Or possibly one’s that I suspect are just getting really pi55ed off that Webber might just be about to prove the 3 of them wrong as he does it without the billionaire bankrolling! 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sue 'em. 

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

I have to say though, this is so weird that it’s even being discussed these days, it’s normally when everything’s looking doom and gloom, and right now I think nearly all Norwich supporters are also enjoying the adventure, as we’re on the up and not the down - you’d have to be one seriously miserable and pessimistic supporter or fan not to be. Or possibly one’s that I suspect are just getting really pi55ed off that Webber might just be about to prove the 3 of them wrong as he does it without the billionaire bankrolling! 😂

If we stay up this season it’s looking so much better. Relegation on the other hand and the gloom merchants will be vocal. For the record I’m saying Norwich will stay up (but I have been wrong on recent efforts) 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If we stay up this season it’s looking so much better. Relegation on the other hand and the gloom merchants will be vocal. For the record I’m saying Norwich will stay up (but I have been wrong on recent efforts) 

'gloom merchants will be vocal'

They are always vocal

The whole point for me is that we went through the spend like heck phase and came very close to having the club in administration twice. In fact, the relative stability and prudence with which the club is managed now reflects very well on things. The argument about the 3rd, 4th and 5th place finishes are from another period which was not so wracked with financial doping as it is today, or indeed when local businessmen could carry more clout - see Jack Walker at Blackburn.

Four years is not a long time at all when it comes to embedding a new philosophy of running a club. What is clear during this four year spell is that we've undergone quite the transformation to our facilities and become a far more professional unit, winning the Championship twice and playing a stylish brand of football that's won plenty of admirers along the way. We've sorted out a very parlous financial situation whilst improving facilities, trimming wage bills, rejuvenating an old team, and Delia and Michael have essentially taken a step back and let Webber have carte blanche.

There is so much to like about our authentic, balanced, prudent way of doing things in a world where seemingly most top clubs have a borderline inexhaustible supply of wealth somewhere on their board, often linked with dubious human rights abuses. Faced with that, I see us as a breath of fresh air. More than anything, the lows aren't as low. We're stabilising. We're building a base.

This journey's just started, and I'm excited to see where it goes as long as Farke is allowed relatively free reign.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m happy with the ownership model as long as they continue to trust in bright football talent like Webber and Farke. 

I honestly think the days of the millions of investment from owners are coming to an end, unless you are extremely lucky in that ownership.

Better to have people who love the club at the helm but who put their trust in experts IMO.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

More very interesting points made, what about the counter argument that anyone under 40 would say that. 3rd, 4th and 5th place finishes, a run in Europe and two FA cup semis. Let’s not forget the league cup win in 85 and two other finals in the 70s too. 

Oh, I totally get that there’s also those that want a static football club, and they’re of course entitled to that desire. Still think they’d be better off supporting a Man City or something if what the owners wallets worth appears to be what really matters to them. Not for me thanks, this right now is real ambition to me and if we do something good it’ll be truly satisfying and RESPECTED by fans of other clubs rather than hated. Bring it on 🥊👍

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think we’ll do it too pal, I’m fact I’m going midtable, I think we’ll have a much more rounded talented squad come the end of the window rather than the squad of 19/20. I know which team I’d rather attack the Premier League with, and I’m looking forward to it. 

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The whole point for me is that we went through the spend like heck phase and came very close to having the club in administration twice. In fact, the relative stability and prudence with which the club is managed now reflects very well on things. 

One of those ‘near misses with bankruptcy’ came at the hands of the current ownership so while you can easly justify saying the middle management is the best we have had in our lifetime I think the financial stability comes mainly from the 3-4 seasons of good financial  gains resulting from team results and transfers rather than anything directed from the owners. Bad periods under the current ownership programme are very bad (league 1) while the best times are yo-yo’ing between champs and PL and I can’t see that changing. My age bracket puts me in the ‘we should be competing in the PL’ camp and would love to see what Farke/Webber could do with us if run as a typical PL club.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I think we’ll do it too pal, I’m fact I’m going midtable, I think we’ll have a much more rounded talented squad come the end of the window rather than the squad of 19/20. I know which team I’d rather attack the Premier League with, and I’m looking forward to it. 

Top half finish is 10/1, that could be very generous if more quality is added this window. 

35 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'll be really honest here. That group was made up of a core of complete crooks, cowards and quite nasty people.

I joined it as I help mod another NCFC facebook group and we keep an eye out to ensure fellow fans aren't duped and if something goes down that is distasteful we know the people and can kick them or prevent them from joining our group.

I eventually got kicked out of it - I know, surprising right? - as one of their leaders, a chap from Colchester, who is incredibly vocal and incredibly nasty to people who don't agree with him got into a debate on a club/pinkun fb post.

I asked him what had happened to the money that was given to him and another chap to organise the airplane banner etc. Apparently they still have the money and didn't raise enough for a plane banner and have other banners being made with the money to be used as soon as covid allows. He also suggested there aren't any leaders of the group and it isn't representing any fans.

I found that a bit odd to be honest. They've taken money, are organising banners and cheerlead... but they are not representing anyone. Smells incredibly dodgy. I mean it is dodgy. Apparently, according to my sources, those two candidates are already on the Carrow Road watch list. Not that one of them even regularly attends.

Yep. That Col guy is as dodgy as it gets. I'm not in the group obviously but he stalks my other social media etc and despite the fact I've not had any interaction with him for over 5 years I've had screenshots of him talking about me as recent as this year!

It didn't help that @Duncan Edwards made a joke about me being Delias grandson or something 😅 having only the 2 and a half braincells between them it appears they think that's genuinely the case.. 

• Haha 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Yep. That Col guy is as dodgy as it gets. I'm not in the group obviously but he stalks my other social media etc and despite the fact I've not had any interaction with him for over 5 years I've had screenshots of him talking about me as recent as this year!

It didn't help that @Duncan Edwards made a joke about me being Delias grandson or something 😅 having only the 2 and a half braincells between them it appears they think that's genuinely the case.. 

So your not Delia’s grandson then 😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

One of those ‘near misses with bankruptcy’ came at the hands of the current ownership so while you can easly justify saying the middle management is the best we have had in our lifetime I think the financial stability comes mainly from the 3-4 seasons of good financial  gains resulting from team results and transfers rather than anything directed from the owners. Bad periods under the current ownership programme are very bad (league 1) while the best times are yo-yo’ing between champs and PL and I can’t see that changing. My age bracket puts me in the ‘we should be competing in the PL’ camp and would love to see what Farke/Webber could do with us if run as a typical PL club.

"Bad periods under the current ownership programme are very bad (league 1) while the best times are yo-yo’ing between champs and PL and I can’t see that changing". 

I would disagree, best times that we can reasonably achieve is probably mid table premier. Which puts us in a huge block of clubs ranging on the football pyramid from Sunderland to Burnley.

10 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Learning from mistakes, that looks like. We tried chucking loadsa wonga at it and nearly lost the club. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. So they changed tack and brought Webber in to enable such a cultural shift to take place, whilst Delia and Michael were prudent enough to keep only a very light hand on the tiller and to let them have free reign.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1902 said:

"Bad periods under the current ownership programme are very bad (league 1) while the best times are yo-yo’ing between champs and PL and I can’t see that changing". 

I would disagree, best times that we can reasonably achieve is probably mid table premier. Which puts us in a huge block of clubs ranging on the football pyramid from Sunderland to Burnley.

Closest we have come to that was with Lambert and yeah we looked established for a season admittedly but history suggests yo yo is ceiling and any neutral without yellow and green glasses is likely to say the same. You could even argue that the the level of spending to achieve that season wouldn’t be allowed now.

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

4 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Closest we have come to that was with Lambert and yeah we looked established for a season admittedly but history suggests yo yo is ceiling and any neutral without yellow and green glasses is likely to say the same

We spent more seasons mid table premier League than in league one and both of them were more recent.

Edited by 1902

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

We spent more seasons mid table premiership than in league one and both of them were more recent.

Sorry 1902, edited post after to say that the spending of that time is apparently a mistake that the current owners have learnt from and won’t repeat according to some.

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So your not Delia’s grandson then 😉

No, he’s her nephew.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Would be nice if we could avoid it on this board for more than a couple of days to be honest. 

If we were factually up the shoite I could understand the grumbles, but I don’t understand the constant necessity for the whinging right now whilst there is so much to be positive about, it’s no wonder some of us end up blowing our gaskets on here because it just becomes so damn tiresome! We need you to unearth our next signing ala Lees-Melou, Bethnal! 

2 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Sorry 1902, edited post after to say that the spending of that time is apparently a mistake that the current owners have learnt from and won’t repeat according to some.

Fair enough, be interesting to see how it pans out. I just don't see us dropping to league one anytime in the next 5 years, but I could see us staying up for a few years and hovering around 12th to 16th. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If we were factually up the shoite I could understand the grumbles, but I don’t understand the constant necessity for the whinging right now whilst there is so much to be positive about, it’s no wonder some of us end up blowing our gaskets on here because it just becomes so damn tiresome! We need you to unearth our next signing ala Lees-Melou, Bethnal! 

I get there is much to like currently but find myself agreeing with those grumbly posters as want to see us as more than PL cannon fodder. People laugh at charlton fans for pushing pardew out as they could see a ceiling had been hit, I think they were right to do it, just unlucky with the result but it’s always a good thing to strive for better

23 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Top half finish is 10/1, that could be very generous if more quality is added this window. 

I don’t think that’s bad odds at all, especially given it looks like this could be the season that several of the ‘established’ Prem clubs look like they really could end up in a bit of trouble. I agree with Farke, I wouldn’t take 17th spot right now - we need to have ambition and belief.