The Great Mass Debater

3 most painful football memories

Fulham 6 – 0 Norwich in 2005 😔

England losing to Germany in Euro ‘96

Losing to Birmingham on penalties in ‘02

Quite a few that could have gone in, but these are the three which remain clearest and memorably painful. 

1985- we won our last game at Chelsea, only an unbelievable set of results would send us down. Then we were banned from European competition having qualified for the first time. 

As for England, losing 3-2 to West Germany in 1970 - after being 2-0 up-was a nightmare. 

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

1985- we won our last game at Chelsea, only an unbelievable set of results would send us down. Then we were banned from European competition having qualified for the first time. 

As for England, losing 3-2 to West Germany in 1970 - after being 2-0 up-was a nightmare. 

Ditto. The only time I remember waking up in the morning with the first thing on my mind being a football result. It was devastating. That side were better than the '66 side, imo.

Everything had gone wrong. Bobby Moore stitched up in Bogota, Banks injured for that game (Bonetti??) and Ramsey's very poor substitutions. Uwe Zeiller (?) closed his eyes and the ball skimmed off his balding head for the winner.

That apart, the Everton semi-final (we had dominated the first half) and the infamous Fulham game. After 5 mins of that game I said to my b-in-l that 'we'll storm this, they're on the beach.' How wrong was I? 

Edited by BroadstairsR

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Melrose hat-rick 1981 that relegated Norwich at Carrow road last match of the season. Leicester were already down but dragged us with them. Any of the two semi final defeats, Everton and Sunderland. 

The Leicester game was a nightmare . We fancied our chances as Sunderland were away to Liverpool (which they suspiciously won!) so we thought all we had to do was beat Leicester who, as you say, were already down. 
i stood on the River End terrace that day. 
for some reason I remember Steve Linex more than Melrose ! I hated him for the rest of his career!😂

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The Leicester game was a nightmare . We fancied our chances as Sunderland were away to Liverpool (which they suspiciously won!) so we thought all we had to do was beat Leicester who, as you say, were already down. 
i stood on the River End terrace that day. 
for some reason I remember Steve Linex more than Melrose ! I hated him for the rest of his career!😂

I was there too, Leicester brought a good following and rubbed it in well. 

The 3 most painful football memories for me?......

Bradford City Valley Parade fire disaster....11th May 1985 and 56 lives tragically lost.....

Heysel Stadium disaster Belgium....29th May 1985 and 39 lives tragically lost.....

Hillsborough Stadium disaster Sheffield....15th April 1989 and now 97 lives tragically lost....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Bradford City Valley Parade fire disaster....11th May 1985 and 56 lives tragically lost.....

Heysel Stadium disaster Belgium....29th May 1985 and 39 lives tragically lost.....

Hillsborough Stadium disaster Sheffield....15th April 1989 and now 97 lives tragically lost....

Bit of perspective there MY. 

No one should ever got to a football match and not return. 

38 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Well said MY (and I was at that first match and recall every moment if I allow myself to reflect back). My next door neighbour lost a close relative that day and a former work colleague lost his grandad. I know many more stories too of course.

Every year the city commemorates the event on the 11th May with a small ceremony. I think next year might be the first time I might feel really ready to attend.

Edited by sonyc

14 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Colchester 7-1 

Euro 96 

Birmingham playoff final 

The colchester game started off with a great atmosphere in the ground and ended with a I can't believe this has happened!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

for guttedness: when we were relegated the season Gunn broke his leg due to results elsewhere. I still believe if we had stayed up (by having a better reserve keeper) we would have become an established premiership side 

I didnt mention this, but I was at the height of my city supporting fervour at this point. I remember watching the Forest match on the telly because it was one of the few times we were on. Little did I know how signifcant that leg break would be. I remember in my youthful idiocy blaming every bad result of Andy Marshall, but the real problem was the decision to not replace Gunn. Transfer windows didnt exist back then I think so we could have done it at any point. We got Simon Tracey in but he wasnt the standard we needed. I remember talk of 43 year old John Burridge being brought in. That that was the level we were looking at following big money sales and a recent European run speaks volumes.

Getting relegated just as the transformative Premier League/Sky money was coming in was gutting and consigned us to the 2nd tier for a decade. I never really thought we'd go down, but we did. I remember having a ripped up Everton team panini sticker on my bedroom wall for years as I blamed them. I was so desperate for them to go down.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

But the most surreal has to be Norwich 1 Colchester 7 - a truly bizarre day. I wasn't at the game but I remember it being a really hot day and I had not long moved into a shared house and was giving updates on the scores - one of the guys who lived there had absolutely zero interest in football but even he was in shock, 5-0 down at half time! Was a strange atmosphere in the city that night.

I was getting ready to emigrate to New Zealand, flight was later that day. I was sat in my then girlfriends parents living room watching Soccer Saturday and couldnt believe how bad it was getting.

At least that years Football Manager was an interesting one to play as Norwich

1st one was definitely the Leicester relegation game of 1981. Not ashamed to say I cried.

There have been various others (which have already been mentioned) but that one, as it was the first, seems to stick out

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I was getting ready to emigrate to New Zealand, flight was later that day. I was sat in my then girlfriends parents living room watching Soccer Saturday and couldnt believe how bad it was getting.

At least that years Football Manager was an interesting one to play as Norwich

Do you still live there TGMD?

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

No, only survived 9 months. My wife didnt settle at all. I had to make a choice, her or the country. Now I live 3 miles away from her Mum

Ah OK! Where did you live whilst there?

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

New Plymouth. The plan was to trial New Zealand and if we liked it more than Australia try to find somewhere we liked. If not to move onto Australia which I knew I loved

So, did Oz work out at all? 

Death of Graham Taylor.

Martin O’Neill walking away and taking Leicester to promotion 5 months later.

Brighton 5 Norwich 0, October 2016. The worst performance from a Norwich side that I have witnessed.

World Cup 1990.

Fulham 6 Norwich 0.

Norwich 1 Colchester 7.

Martin O'Neill walking out for Leicester.

1989 Cup Semi Final v Everton.

1992 somehow losing to Sunderland in the Cup semi Final..

Ray Graydon and that penalty in the League Cup Final.

I had better stop now i think.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

2002 Playoff final 

Fulham 6-0

Relegation 2009, then losing 7-1 to Colchester on our next game. My Dad and I borrowed season tickets from some friends to see that game, I thought it would be a 3-2 victory

• Like 1

F A cup semi final lost 1-0 with Sunderland

at Cardiff lost play off with Birmingham.

at home vs Liverpool 4-5

December 1993. Portman Road, Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Norwich City.

Gary Megson rifled an absolute bullet of a header past Gunn from a corner in the last minute of the game. Ipswich fans went berserk. Absolutely guttering!!!

2002 play off final was so sad. I honestly thought we had one it in extra time when Roberts scored the header, for some reason I thought they were trialing the golden goal rule that day. No such luck.

1989 Semi Final. Still think we would have one if Flecky had played.

2 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So, did Oz work out at all? 

No, she left New Zealand after 6 months, she was going to go after just 2 but stuck it out. I had to stay to finish my contract but returned to UK to be with her when I had

Martin O'Neill definitely. I always felt what he achieved with Leicester could so easily have been us. That game where he resigned just before, so neither team had a manager was just bizarre.

Was it the same game where a 17 year old less bulky so much faster Emile Heskey came on as a winger and destroyed us?

I remember listening to Norwich play Wolves on the radio and them stating they'd had to field a teenager up fron for his debut. Great! I thought, thats bound to help. Unfortunately that teenager was Robbie Keane, who scored at least once, perhaps twice

Norwich 1 Bradford City 2 FACup 5th round 1976. Draw for 6th round already made , home draw against Southampton then Div 2. 90 minute battering Bradford. Their opener was a a freak from about 40 yards & scored the winner in injury time.

Norwich 3 Chelsea 2 (. 5  - 2 on aggregate) abandoned after 85 minutes

Everton 1 Norwich 0 semi. Not allowed to be sad about the result because of what happened at the other semi final

Edited by Year of the tiger

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Coventry 4 Everton 1, 1985 😡

Losing to Charlton at Selhurst Park in the semi final of a cup I've forgotten the name of 

1989 cup semi final 

Full members cup or Simod Cup?