The Great Mass Debater

3 most painful football memories

5 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So, did Oz work out at all? 

2 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

No, she left New Zealand after 6 months, she was going to go after just 2 but stuck it out. I had to stay to finish my contract but returned to UK to be with her when I had

I remember a schoolfriend and his family moved to New Zealand in the late 60's on the ' £10 Pom ' ticket which for those not old enough to remember was a Govt scheme where a family could emigrate to New Zealand or Australia for £10 one-way but had to pay their own fare back if they didn't stay for two years.

Needless to say they came back and returned to the same house they'd left two years previously...

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 2

3) 01/02 - Norwich 1 Birmingham 1 (lost on pens) Play-Off Final 

Great atmos; really enjoyed this game. Till the pens. Ar5e flaps.

2) 92/93 - Norwich 1 Man Utd 3

We had to win this one to keep our dreams of Premier League glory alive...and we got stuffed. 0-3 down at home by half time. B0llocks. Man Utd then went on to win the league for the first time in 3 million  years and then couldn't stop winning the bloody thing. G1ts.

1) 91/92 - Norwich 0 Sunderland 1 FA Cup Semi-Final

This one still hurts - this was the year we should have won it; Sunderland were a division below us.

Flecky in his iron lung getting fit for the game. God we were f*cking awful that day. Never been so down after leaving a match. Remember some Sunderland fan running up to me asking for my scarf - "F*ck off!" came my reply.

OTBC

• Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 06:59, Taiwan Canary said:

When Man utd blew us away 3 ~ 1 at Carrow Road in the 1992/93 season. They ended the dream and broke my teenage heart. it was exasperated by the huge number of utd fans all over the ground (even in the lower Barclay). 

Was all in the first 20 minutes too. We had beaten Aston villa the previous week with John polston getting the winner.  And yes there loads of united fans in the home areas

1. The absolute horror of hearing about the death of Emiliano Sala, who had signed for Cardiff from Nantes, only to die a horrible death when the little chartered plane plunged into the sea,.It affected me quite badly. You don't expect footballers in their peak to die.

2. Semi final defeats. England x 2; Norwich x2.

3. Probably, Emi leaving. 

On 31/07/2021 at 12:48, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Wembley 75. Penalty is saved by Keelan and the rebound is stuck away by Ray Graydon.

I’ve  never really recovered

Good shout. Still a vivid memory for me too. Great to see the penalty saved only to followed by such disappointment.

Others for me would be the Cardiff play-off penalty shoot out (which to be fair did have an air of inevitabiity about it) and the 1-3 v Man Utd in the first premier league season - as it burst the bubble of hope that was there that season.

On 31/07/2021 at 12:48, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Wembley 75. Penalty is saved by Keelan and the rebound is stuck away by Ray Graydon. 

I wasn't alive at this point but a penalty save being scored on the rebound is one of the worst things in football emotionally. The tension of the penalty, the high of the save and then seconds later those emotions are ripped away when the follow up is bundled home. Rubbish.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wasn't alive at this point but a penalty save being scored on the rebound is one of the worst things in football emotionally. The tension of the penalty, the high of the save and then seconds later those emotions are ripped away when the follow up is bundled home. Rubbish.

What a save by Machin though! 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I was 9 Years old - turned to my mum and said “he’s saved it “ ! Only to turn back to see Graydon stick it in. I can still see it vividly in slow motion . 
Horrendous. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What a save by Machin though! 

My god - that is painful - not sure I’ve ever seen it since !! What the hell was KK doing from the corner ? Great save though ....

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

My god - that is painful - not sure I’ve ever seen it since !! What the hell was KK doing from the corner ? Great save though ....

Etched into the memory though wasn’t it, exactly as I remembered. Gorgeous kit and at least we got promoted that season (as did Villa)

In no particular order. 

the river end getting a roof. 

no longer being able to buy Munchies off of the man with the sweety tray at 1/2 time. It was a challenge catching them when he threw them at me. 

Splat the Cat

• Like 1

Crikey, so much pain. I remember nearly all these set backs, makes me more thankful for the good times like last season (online). Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough are all indelibly stampted but my emotions were not really one of pain at the time of these tragedies, more disbelief, anger and a desire for explanation. 

On 31/07/2021 at 11:40, canarycop said:

Scoring a diving header on an asphalt pitch whilst a defender kicked me in the head breaking my jaw. That was pretty painful.

Losing to Spurs and Villa in League Cup finals by one goal was hell.

Same here. As a keeper I dived for a ball that my defender was about to clear. Resulted in a broken nose and plenty of blood.

As a City fan the 6-0 at Fulham. 

Twice losing FA cup semi finals in a short space of time. 
The Fulham 6-0 defeat. 

and I’ve I don’t think anyone has mentioned the gutting disappointment of City qualifying for Europe for the first time with the Milk Cup win and then being denied the opportunity by a hooligan section of Liverpool fans. 

Delia putting us in League 1. Unforgivable and will NEVER be forgiven.

Martin O'Neill walking out.

Losing '92 semi. That should have been the year.

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

Delia putting us in League 1. Unforgivable and will NEVER be forgiven.

Martin O'Neill walking out.

Losing '92 semi. That should have been the year.

Blimey Vince, Robert Chase being responsible for two of your most painful footy moments, who'd a thunk it😀............

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Blimey Vince, Robert Chase being responsible for two of your most painful footy moments, who'd a thunk it😀............

And Delia only one, so Big Vince must think Delia has been better at running/owning the club than Chase was...

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And Delia only one, so Big Vince must think Delia has been better at running/owning the club than Chase was...

No, never. Chase was still better. 9 years in a row in top flight. 2 cup semis. Europe. Did the ground. Bought land around the ground. Did Colney. Delia doesn't want to have any football success at a high level and has brainwashed fans to think the same. Went to L1. Allowed academy & Colney to go to pot. Appointed Blarneymeister, Doomcaster, Moxey et al. Signed Jason Jarrett et al. End of.

1. When Lambert left us for Villa

2. when Emi left us for Villa

3. when Jed Steer left us for Villa…

don’t do it Todd, I’m not sure I could take it!

• Haha 1