The Great Mass Debater

3 most painful football memories

I was thinking after England lost on penalties to Italy about the most gutting moments for me personally as a fan to have experienced. 

Lots to draw on, but personally for me I would plump for (in no particular order)

1990 - England lose to W Germany on Penalties. 

Italia 90 converted me into a football fan, I was 9 and not had much of an interest up until then. The euphoria, Nessun Dorma, Gascoigne's tears and then the heartbreak. A football fan was born

1996 - England lose to Germany on Penaltied.

Euro 96 was when we paid it back. Football was coming home. It was meant to be. Or so it seemed. Then penalty heartbreak again. What might have been. So close, and yet so far

2005 - Fulham

Having put destiny in our hands on the final day, all we needed to do was equal our rivals at least. A win would see us safe. Watching in the pub, the game became the stuff of nightmares, and the chance to establish ourselves in the Premier League after a decade away vanished in 90 minutes. I felt so positive before the match and so dejected afterwards.

Lots of other things I could have picked, favourite players being transferred, Mike Walker leaving for Everton, Paul Lambert leaving for Villa, a whole host of things. But those are my 3. What are yours?

• Like 1

First for me has to be the FA Cup Semi Final in 1989 at Villa Park and that terrible message on the board:
"Match Delayed at Hillsborough"

• Sad 2

Big Iwan putting us one up in extra time in the 2002 play off final and losing on penalties to feckin Birmingham

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

Big Iwan putting us one up in extra time in the 2002 play off final and losing on penalties to feckin Birmingham

This, I was 11 at the time. Had never been to Birmingham but had a deep seated hatred of it for years after it. Then I actually went, now I just feel sorry for its inhabitants.

• Haha 2

A Really good question:

England v West Germany 1970

Arsenal 4 City 3 1989 (in attendance)

City 0 v Sunderland 1 , F.A cup semi 92 (in attendance)

Melrose hat-rick 1981 that relegated Norwich at Carrow road last match of the season. Leicester were already down but dragged us with them. Any of the two semi final defeats, Everton and Sunderland. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1. England losing on penalties to Germany in the 1990 World Cup semi final

2. England losing on penalties to Germany in the 1996 Euros semi final

3. Not being able to go to Carrow Road because of world wide, media induced paranoia about the sniffles.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

The Colchester 7-1 was a low point for any Norwich fan. Don't need to elaborate.

Last prem season I actually left a game early for the first time ever due to rage. The Villa 5-1. Mainly due to a child kicking the back of my seat constantly throughout the entire game making me get up and leave directly as the 5th entered the net. 

The one player I deem our nemesis, Suarez, has probably caused more pain than any other so I also class him as a painful memory.

The Van Wolfswinkel ghost pass at Fulham... I was there and in that moment I can safely say we all gave him some abuse. Overall his entire City career was painful.

But realistically Birmingham playoff was not a nice drive home followed by the Italy final... was gutting when I had to tell people in the pub we lost when Saka's pen was saved. Thank god I was around 6 pints deep by then. 

Edited by andrew norwichcity

1 hour ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

1. England losing on penalties to Germany in the 1990 World Cup semi final

2. England losing on penalties to Germany in the 1996 Euros semi final

3. Not being able to go to Carrow Road because of world wide, media induced paranoia about the sniffles.

Ah yes, the entire world’s media made up millions being hospitalised and dying of covid. It’s funny how “skeptics” are so incredibly gullible.

• Like 6

When Man utd blew us away 3 ~ 1 at Carrow Road in the 1992/93 season. They ended the dream and broke my teenage heart. it was exasperated by the huge number of utd fans all over the ground (even in the lower Barclay). 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Taylor324 said:

100%, and not forgetting this was after a rousing chorus of “we are going up” 😭

2002 Playoff final and League One relegation for sure, and probably the 2005 relegation to top it off.

Hearing of Huckerby's release in 2008 is up there, too. I still remember where I was when I heard the news, driving home from Sixthform and hearing it on the radio.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

3) BIrmingham playoff final

2) Charlton away -relegation to Division3

1) still the worst moment of my 40+ yrs of watching NCFC ...Sunderland FA Cup semi final '92...mostly because in playing a mid table div 2 team as Sunderland were, I just didnt even contemplate the possibility of defeat before the game.

Still cant understand how to a man we froze on the day.

...worse still was it wouldve been an ordinary Liverpool team in the final.

Still gives me nightmares

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Everton Semi -Final was obviously horrendous. But the Sunderland Semi, was so disappointing. Probably my lowest point as an NCFC Fan. I think I expected us to win too much.

Colchester was awful

The Passing of Duncan Forbes

Walking off the pitch at 17, having come on and setup up a last minute equaliser vs Darlington away to be told that I wouldn't be offered a full time contract at Halifax Town.

Never getting a chance at Leeds Utd.

Having everything in place to join Coventry City to be told the entire youth team staff would be changed and they'd be in touch, they never got in touch.

Millennium Stadium.

Getting relegated at Elland Rd 

Fulham away

Any England memory.

Come to think of it, there's been far more lows than high's when it comes to football.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 1

1. For sorrow: FA cup Semi to Everton- I was a boy and it hurt like no other result in history 

2. For anger: Fulham capitulation- they didn’t even try 

3. for guttedness: when we were relegated the season Gunn broke his leg due to results elsewhere. I still believe if we had stayed up (by having a better reserve keeper) we would have become an established premiership side 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

When they replaced scampi at the Gunn club with cod Goujons 

When I wore a morph suit at Millwall and got coins thrown at me.😖😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

2002 play off final. In a pub in Ely and the barman was a binner. First time I felt like launching someone.😀

2005 Fulham away (what a car journey home that was 🙄) 5-0 down and my mate said "it could be worse."

Colchester 7-1 Only 2 times I have left early.

These three for me too.

2nd time I left early.Not a painful one more an "oh God" one but Hughton's first game at Fulham. Boiling hot, team were awful and they ran out of beer at half time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

When I wore a morph suit at Millwall and got coins thrown at me.😖😀

Haha,

There was a lad who wore a morph suit at Forest who got chinned.

His dad came on here saying it wasn't fair, blah blah blah.

I saw the lad at Forest and it was his behaviour that got him chinned.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Haha,

In the mists of time but I think it may have been the same bloke. I seem to remember there being a couple of arguments on here about it.

(Just for clarification it wasn't me wearing one to Millwall. I wouldn't go there without a full suit of armour on.😀)

30 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

1. For sorrow: FA cup Semi to Everton- I was a boy and it hurt like no other result in history 

2. For anger: Fulham capitulation- they didn’t even try 

3. for guttedness: when we were relegated the season Gunn broke his leg due to results elsewhere. I still believe if we had stayed up (by having a better reserve keeper) we would have become an established premiership side 

I thought yours would be:

1. The year we got promoted but didn't strengthen the squad properly. 

2. The year we got promoted but just missed out on our key targets. 

3. The year we got promoted but "it happened again". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Haha,

I remember him he was most definitely acting like the end of the bell 

Fulham 6 Norwich 0 - really thought it was all set up for us to do a great escape after a truly awful season (until the last 5 games) but the reality was we never deserved to.

The play-off final - was a horrible feeling. All made worse by not knowing if it was "Golden Goal" or not when Iwan scored, which was still a thing around this time.

But the most surreal has to be Norwich 1 Colchester 7 - a truly bizarre day. I wasn't at the game but I remember it being a really hot day and I had not long moved into a shared house and was giving updates on the scores - one of the guys who lived there had absolutely zero interest in football but even he was in shock, 5-0 down at half time! Was a strange atmosphere in the city that night.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Haha,

Wasn't he the lad who done the Twitter poll a couple of season ago? 

Scoring a diving header on an asphalt pitch whilst a defender kicked me in the head breaking my jaw. That was pretty painful.

Losing to Spurs and Villa in League Cup finals by one goal was hell.

• Like 1