So is 70m for Pepe. Arsenal are an absolute joke of a club imo. Really badly run in terms of the footbal side of things. 

It's a great investment though 

Arsenal must have been spending 25/30Mil on CB's per season and never got an half decent one.

Think this lad is going to the top.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

It's a great investment though 

Arsenal must have been spending 25/30Mil on CB's per season and never got an half decent one.

Think this lad is going to the top.

How can he? He's at Arsenal! 

• Haha 1

Strange they supposedly couldn't afford Emi but have spent that much on Ben White

it's a lot but he's still young and will likely sort them out at centre half for the next decade or be sold for even more one day so that's the going rate. If Godfrey was to leave Everton this summer it'd be £50m as well.

Sure Man U got Varane for £35m but they are paying him £400k a week and he's 5 years older so they probably won't get any of that £35m back. FWIW I still think they've got a steal but he isn't "cheaper than white" just because of the transfer fee.

This is what I think with the fees we spend... £8m and 50k a week for Naismith was dead money when you compare it to the equivalent we spent on Leroy Fer. We ended up making a profit on him after a decent but inconsistent spell whereas we couldn't give Naismith away. Hopefully we look at more deals like Tzolis and invest in the playing squad properly.

Just now, AJ said:

Strange they supposedly couldn't afford Emi but have spent that much on Ben White

But Brighton are a established premier league team and we are little old Norwich who just yo yo.

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

they needed White more IMO. Pepe gets a lot of pelters for his transfer fee but he's still a good player and getting better as his time at Arsenal goes on. Add to that the likes of Saka, ESR and Lacazette and they're stacked at attacking mid already.

12 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

But Brighton are a established premier league team and we are little old Norwich who just yo yo.

So what you're saying is that even established premier league teams can't hold on to their best players?

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So what you're saying is that even established premier league teams can't hold on to their best players?

all I'd say on that is Brighton held out for weeks when Arsenal were low balling them. They waited for them to get more and more desperate and eventually got their asking price and everyone was happy.

There is a chance we could have held out for longer with Emi and waited for Grealish to make his £100m move or Arsenal to get more desperate etc and got a bigger fee ourselves but I suspect we'd already bitten off more than we could chew with Emi by keeping him last season so that method could have really gone **** up.

Fact of the matter is that Brighton are currently an established premier league side and therefore White probably wasn't as desperate to leave.

On the balance I think we've handled the Emi thing well, got a good fee for him bit we need to actually use that money to improve us now or it was all for nothing.

I wonder what Brighton will do with their money... hopefully they aren't going to gazump all our targets

You can't really make comparisons or judgements on how much we got for Emi, Brighton got for White and how much Utd paid for Varane. So many different variables.

It's a good signing by Arsenal - I think it's their manager who's a bit flakey and seems to be struggling to find players who fit his mindset.