Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Tzolis v Cantwell

On very rough figures, would £10m for Tizolis, and £25m for Cantwell be such a bad bit of 'trading' ? It would certainly fund the purchase of Rashica and Melou.

Tizolis has an extra 4 years on Todd, and although not proven in the PL he has certainly shown a high standard already moving from the Greek U19s to playing for the full international team.

Note, the above is merely a question based on both transfers going through at the figures listed - and I am well aware that there are many other factors involved.

The thought, however, is whether we see this player as up to what Todd offers, and that it would be a decision based on the realities of where we are as a club in the grand scheme of things. Was the replacement of Lewis with Giannoulis (plus £10m ?) that damaging ?

I think this is cover for the following scenarios, Grealish to Man City, Cantwell to Villa and Tzolis to us. Or Maddison to Arsenal, Cantwell to Leicester and Tzolis to us.

The only problem I can see is if we do end up selling Cantwell and buying Tzolis, and we come out of this summer transfer window having sold out two best creative players, making a net profit on transfers, then get off to a terrible start, there’s going to be a bit of a backlash on Webber’s comments of giving it a go this time round! 
I hope we can add to our midfield with Billings as well as Tzolis if we did sell Cantwell.

There is no need to sell Cantwell to fund this transfer as there should be plenty still left in the pot after the buendia sale. We are very short on quality wide players as you can't imagine Onel or Placheta will get much game time this season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Cantwell must not be sold. It’s should be Rashica, Tzolis AND Cantwell. 

the question posed was 'if, not 'should'

To sell Cantwell and Buendia after promotion would be football suicide. May as well get rid of Aaron’s too and put Bali straight in the deep end. Norwich needed extra quality to what they already had, not a fat wallet. 

The kicker here is Cantwell's intentions. If we think we can nail him down to a new contract by January, then we should keep him at all costs.

If, however, he has made it clear that he will not sign a new deal, then realistically we should be looking to sell him in this window or in January in order to maximise our profit and reinvest in high-quality replacements such as Tzolis.

The other option would be to hang onto him until next summer in the hope he can help to keep us up, and then sell him at a reduced fee as he'll only have 12 months left on his contract.

Getting him to sign a new deal would be absolutely massive for the club.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

The kicker here is Cantwell's intentions. If we think we can nail him down to a new contract by January, then we should keep him at all costs.

If, however, he has made it clear that he will not sign a new deal, then realistically we should be looking to sell him in this window or in January in order to maximise our profit and reinvest in high-quality replacements such as Tzolis.

The other option would be to hang onto him until next summer in the hope he can help to keep us up, and then sell him at a reduced fee as he'll only have 12 months left on his contract.

Getting him to sign a new deal would be absolutely massive for the club.

Worst case scenario if he won’t sign a new contract is to hold our nerve. I really think he’ll step up this season especially being the most technically gifted player here. If Todd contributes as expected and Norwich are holding their own any fee could be huge. Right now no club are paying more for Todd than Emi but come January who knows. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Worst case scenario if he won’t sign a new contract is to hold our nerve. I really think he’ll step up this season especially being the most technically gifted player here. If Todd contributes as expected and Norwich are holding their own any fee could be huge. Right now no club are paying more for Todd than Emi. 

Nobody is going to pay a 'huge' fee for someone with only a year left on their contract. If he won't sign a new contract, his value will decrease very quickly from January onwards.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I would hope this signing (if it happens) would allow Todd to play a more central role. 

Agree here. Cantwell and Dowell should be somewhat more as rivals for the same position, and then we have two more winger-like players down the flanks. We've never really had a good number 10 since Stiepermann's 18/19 season, but Cantwell certainly looks like he could be really good in the middle.

If we signed Tzolis and did sign Cantwell, we'd need another more central attacking player anyway, so don't see the benefit in selling Todd still (unless its ridiculous money)

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Nobody is going to pay a 'huge' fee for someone with only a year left on their contract. If he won't sign a new contract, his value will decrease very quickly from January onwards.

There are so many factors. I think most people agree his value now is around the £25m mark. If he has an amazing season that keeps us in the league, but refuses to sign a contract, I think a 24 year old English attacking player with two premier league seasons under his belt would still hold a value of around £15m. If he has a **** season, then he will lose a lot of his value new contract or not.

Of course, this ignores all the other factors like does he want to be here, is he a positive in the dressing room etc.

What about Dowell? He came into some form end of last season and preseason he's looked pretty decent 

• Like 1

Just now, Krul Mistress said:

There are so many factors. I think most people agree his value now is around the £25m mark. If he has an amazing season that keeps us in the league, but refuses to sign a contract, I think a 24 year old English attacking player with two premier league seasons under his belt would still hold a value of around £15m. If he has a **** season, then he will lose a lot of his value new contract or not.

Of course, this ignores all the other factors like does he want to be here, is he a positive in the dressing room etc.

I'd agree with all the figures you quote. If, however, he has an amazing season AND signs a new contract, you could be looking at anything up to £50m with the English premium. Fingers crossed we can get him to sign on the line...

10 hours ago, Bill said:

On very rough figures, would £10m for Tizolis, and £25m for Cantwell be such a bad bit of 'trading' ? It would certainly fund the purchase of Rashica and Melou.

In isolation I don't think it would be a bad deal, but in the context of losing Emi and gambling on a couple of our forward player's PL capability already, it would be a no from me.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I'd agree with all the figures you quote. If, however, he has an amazing season AND signs a new contract, you could be looking at anything up to £50m with the English premium. Fingers crossed we can get him to sign on the line...

Absolutely. I expect a new deal to happen and could see Todd being captain before he leaves the club a la Grealish. He's a good lad and he's growing up fast.

IMHO there is no way we should sell Todd in any circumstance this summer. Farke's ability to get the best out of young players even if offers come in for them is obvious, Todd loves the club and him playing well for us is mutually beneficial. 

£25m for Cantwell would represent bad business. A rubbish sum for a wide/creative player who was 2nd top scorer for us in what many are calling a poor premier league season. And with essentially two years left on his contract as well.

We are in a stronger selling position each time it comes to someone trying to prise a player away from us at this point. The first may have been favourable for our squad strengthening plans, but now we have that money to chase those plans, so we don't have a reason or need to sell.

Therefore, as Webber has said, we'll be looking for more than Buendia. I would say at least as much as.

Next summer may be a different matter altogether - but we're not there yet.

• Like 1

Yes he's a wonderkid but he's only 19. Sure he can be trusted to start most games but he's not going to be on point for 38 games. There's going to be the need for some strong rotation options.

Cantwell will start the vast majority of games but with the options we'd have to shuffle things around, we can mix things up depending on the opposition.

Between Rachica, Idah and Tzolis we'd have a good 3 to take the weight off Pukki as well.

There's minutes to be had for all of them but I think we'll have a more fluid front 4 depending on the situation.