8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You’ve forgotten this effected every club so the playing field was levelled in this regard 

What they all lost the same amount ?  Which I don't agree with, however if it was the case £35M to Man City/ Liverpool etc, is less of an impact to us. 

You were talking about our income Vs expenditure, my point was our expenditure has been reduced dramatically by this deficit. Do I need to explain to you any more?  Have a day off mate! 

We have to be careful how we define "overpay". Just because we valued Ajer at £10m, and Brentford sign him for £13.5m doesn't necessarily mean they over pay for him. 

I've said it before only time will tell if he shows he's worth it or not!

Webber is sticking to his valuations, but I hope that doesn't come back to bite us. Now both Farke & Webber are saying they want to take us to next level and establish us as a Premiership team, I hope we show with remaining signings that they're willing to get key targets in, and don't drop out if valuations go beyond his (with reason!)

39 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It really should set alarm bells ringing when we cannot even compete financially with the clubs promoted alongside us. Even teeny, tiny Brentford. 

Again this is complete unsubstantiated rubbish which makes it really hard to take what is already a pretty childish viewpoint seriously. 

We valued Ajer at a certain price. That Brentford want to overspend (in our eyes, and clearly the rest of the market because no one else came in) is hardly not being able to compete. 

We could have easily spent £14 million on him and that will be proven as we will spend more than that from now until the window closing.

This is another clear example from the same suspects of just assuming money equals ambition. We could have spunked all the Emi money on just Ajer and Billing for a combined 35m and to begin with, Jim and DCB would be delighted. Until it turned out they weren't worth that much and then use that stick on the club.

Itd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

31 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You’ve forgotten this effected every club so the playing field was levelled in this regard 

Not quite how it works. For example, who loses more money from no fans being in attendance for a year, Norwich or Bournemouth?

The clue is in the number of fans, by the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Not quite how it works. For example, who loses more money from no fans being in attendance for a year, Norwich or Bournemouth?

The clue is in the number of fans, by the way.

Erm - does it begin with B ? 

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We could have easily spent £14 million on him and that will be proven as we will spend more than that from now until the window closing.

I really don't think too many will say that with such a degree of authority as you hoggy especially after the Webber interview over the BK8 sponsorship.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Again this is complete unsubstantiated rubbish which makes it really hard to take what is already a pretty childish viewpoint seriously. 

We valued Ajer at a certain price. That Brentford want to overspend (in our eyes, and clearly the rest of the market because no one else came in) is hardly not being able to compete. 

This is another clear example from the same suspects of just assuming money equals ambition. We could have spunked all the Emi money on just Ajer and Billing for a combined 35m and to begin with, Jim and DCB would be delighted. Until it turned out they weren't worth that much and then use that stick on the club.

Itd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

He’s worth what the market dictates. If all clubs in the premier are prepared to pay fees in excess of £10m and we aren’t then we are going to lose our every time another premier league club wants one of our targets. If Brentford can find the extra and we can’t then we are not able to compete with them financially. Is going to make it incredibly tough as literally every signing has to be a rabbit out of the hat of players under the radar. 

I suspect Ajer was very high on the list, as we put in our maximum bid.

Idont think we have as much to spend as some think. We still have to cover three key positions and I doubt we’ll spend anywhere near 20 million more, so to spend that on one target won’t happen.

It’s clear as from day one we are a self funding club and cut our cloth to suite! I don’t expect anymore big signings, a couple more in the Lees-Malou type, cheap and decent. I believe Webber is putting his hopes on Omobamdele and Idah to come through along with Mumba. 

Edited by Indy

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Billing probably just watched the Huddersfield friendly and realised he's not as good as PLM.

That might actually be the truth.  We might have been the only club seriously in for him; he's just been shared clips of PLM and thought "crikey even if I go I'll be 4th or 5th in line for a starting position.  Can't be arsed working that hard, nice season in the Championship for me".  Perhaps .....

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And the usual suspects cheering away no matter what seemingly happy with little ambition 

What a stupid comment. We are an ambitious club, that is very evident. And these ‘happy clappers’ as you put it, have every right to be happy with how the club is run - you make it sound like they’re just ‘accepting’ of everything, when in actual fact they have every right to appreciate the club for what we are and feel that this is a great project unfolding before us. We just seem to have a section of supporters like yourself who can’t recognise we have financial limitations, I love how you all find it so easy to spend, it’s bleedin hilarious and seriously the best thing you could do is walk away, because a lifetime of supporting a club that has never been rich has probably not been good for your health. What’s more, folk like you are bloody well ungrateful. It’s like your parents buying you a bicycle for Christmas but you turning your nose up in disgust because you wanted a car. The people at Norwich City are doing great and admirable things with our club, so I thank god you’re not in charge or I’d hate to think what a soulless plastic club we’d have. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

What a stupid comment. We are an ambitious club, that is very evident. And these ‘happy clappers’ as you put it, have every right to be happy with how the club is run - you make it sound like they’re just ‘accepting’ of everything, when in actual fact they have every right to appreciate the club for what we are and feel that this is a great project unfolding before us. We just seem to have a section of supporters like yourself who can’t recognise we have financial limitations, I love how you all find it so easy to spend, it’s bleedin hilarious and seriously the best thing you could do is walk away, because a lifetime of supporting a club that has never been rich has probably not been good for your health. What’s more, folk like you are bloody well ungrateful. It’s like your parents buying you a bicycle for Christmas but you turning your nose up in disgust because you wanted a car. The people at Norwich City are doing great and admirable things with our club, so I thank god you’re not in charge or I’d hate to think what a soulless plastic club we’d have. 

Ill raise a glass to that one Alex! Not sure ill be able to keep up with you - but cheers! 

• Haha 1

I don’t think missing out on Ajer and maybe Billing should cause too much worry for a couple of reasons: firstly as far as I’m aware neither player has been linked with many if any other clubs of any note so they’re clearly not that big a prize, and secondly we never seem to sign our best players at the end of a long drawn out transfer saga (hucks apart), they tend to just arrive one day out of the blue.

Looked like Lees-Melou was one they didn't expect to see crop up for the price he came for and they decided to go for it. As for not getting choice signings, who the hell are Gilmour, Gunn, and Rashica anyway if they weren't right up the top of the list?

Ambition = / = blindly chucking cash around like a flailing Stevie Wonder with epilepsy just because it happens to be in our pocket at that moment in time. It means having a plan and working it whilst still extracting the best value possible from the market. The fact we've lopped our transfer record already with Rashica is already a sign, not to mention if the two £10m bids for Ajer and Billing are both to be believed, they would also have been around that point in terms of price paid. Webber said the record would go once and could go twice. He's been bang on there so far.

What should be obvious is that he wants a team that is more solid, and less dependent on one man. Last time in the Premier League it was pretty much shut Buendia out, and shut Norwich out although Cantwell did come along well and eventually showed that he belonged. As for not replacing Skipp, he did, but with a different style of player in Gilmour. Not to mention Sorensen suffered a bit by not getting into a defensive midfield spot which is ostensibly his best one by trade. He's another I suspect Farke thinks is more than ready.

Another sign is the way they've cleared ranks with the "discards" and paying off Leitner, Stiepermann, and Thompson. Greater focus on those who are still here. Throw in the improved equipment for recovery and again, you can see greater emphasis on off-the-pitch matters helping towards on-pitch success.

Also, with our focus on developing youth, our emphasis will always lie, to a greater or lesser extent, on bringing promising lads through. The club appear to think Omobamidele and Idah are in the building and worth a try instead of sending them on loan. Considering Farke's record at judging when they're ready to make an impact, I thoroughly trust him.

We might fall short, but their expenditure and other work has made it clear that it's not down to lack of ambition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I don’t think missing out on Ajer and maybe Billing should cause too much worry for a couple of reasons: firstly as far as I’m aware neither player has been linked with many if any other clubs of any note so they’re clearly not that big a prize, and secondly we never seem to sign our best players at the end of a long drawn out transfer saga (hucks apart), they tend to just arrive one day out of the blue.

It is a very good point indeed. Who’s after Billing? Doesn’t appear clubs are falling over themselves to get to his signature does it? And for all the talk of Ajer, he’s ended up at Brentford! What happened to Leicester, AC Milan and Newcastle, Red Bull Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen - all put to the sword by plucky little Brentford! Something tells me his agent was somewhat busy leaking made up interested parties to the press in order to get a better fee for himself and his client…

12 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Very good point. Both Rashica and Lees-Melou pretty much came out of nowhere, and I think getting Gunn was possibly a bit of a surprise as well. The only one we expected was Gilmour and that was largely due to Covid.

As we don't have the same amount to spend, by definition we have to stay out of bidding wars. Some fans conflate that with "hambition, Neeyyul".

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It is a very good point indeed. Who’s after Billing? Doesn’t appear clubs are falling over themselves to get to his signature does it? And for all the talk of Ajer, he’s ended up at Brentford! What happened to Leicester, AC Milan and Newcastle, Red Bull Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen - all put to the sword by plucky little Brentford! Something tells me his agent was somewhat busy leaking made up interested parties to the press in order to get a better fee for himself and his client…

That doesn’t sound too much like the kind of dirty trick a football agent would engage in?

Billing has probably told his agent to have a sniff round and Norwich’s name has come up and he’s thought nah, they’re not big payers and I’ll never force my way into their starting 11 anyway, so I’ll just make out Scott Parker is amazing and stay here on my over inflated salary.

im actually quite confident we’ll get what we need this window or thereabouts. I don’t think we should be kiddigg by ourselves that we’re strong enough yet though. Irrespective of current arrivals, we’ve lost two massive players from last season in Skipp and Buendia and they are two huge gaps to fill. 

5 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

That doesn’t sound too much like the kind of dirty trick a football agent would engage in?

Billing has probably told his agent to have a sniff round and Norwich’s name has come up and he’s thought nah, they’re not big payers and I’ll never force my way into their starting 11 anyway, so I’ll just make out Scott Parker is amazing and stay here on my over inflated salary.

im actually quite confident we’ll get what we need this window or thereabouts. I don’t think we should be kiddigg by ourselves that we’re strong enough yet though. Irrespective of current arrivals, we’ve lost two massive players from last season in Skipp and Buendia and they are two huge gaps to fill. 

Personally, considering how long this saga is going on, I don't think Billing fancies it, and that is a big red flag.

He basically has the chance of moving to a team that's in the top flight from a team that got relegated with them at the same time - and who didn't make it back up. So he's already spent a year away from the Premier League. Back in the Premier, he'd have a far better chance of getting back into the Denmark national squad if he fancies it. 

Lees-Melou was done and dusted in seemingly very little time at all. He wanted it. We're not seeing this urgency from Billing.

And I sure as heck wouldn't be lashing out a potential club record fee on a player who's not pushing it to come and join us.

This transfer window aim was in SW's own words to strengthen the squad, along with slightly streamlining the numbers to..definite outs are Tettey, Vrancic, Buendia, Stieperman, Leitner, Thompson..permanents are Gibson, Gianoulis, Rashica, Gunn, Lees Melou and Gilmour (loan)..which set of players would you rather see at City..the outs or the ins?..in my eyes the squad has already been strengthened and i would think at least 1 or 2 more will arrive before end of August. There still a few "not part of the squad" guys left...Klose, Trybull, Sitti, Sinani..but with 5 weeks still left of the window i am already satisfied that our squad is strengthened....the only argument being is is strengthened enough.

As to mentioning Ajer again..for goodness sake..are there still guys out there who are still thinking SW is gonna throw money around lik confetti?..you all know our self funding model...its unique..no other club in the top divisions run close to our model..it makes us special, but yea makes it harder to and with the BK8 saga, never mind the much more damaging Covid effects it makes it ever more harder.

We aint got rich owners to just hand out pots of  moolah willy nilly and yet despite that our clubs financial reality is in a much better position then many other clubs in the top two divisions. Final note...In Rashica our club record buy is likely broken and in Buendia the club record sale has been smashed.

Webber actually said we needed signings who improve the starting xi- and thus far we aren’t stronger than last year as the outs cancel out the ins. But there is still time - as long as we don’t flunk our targets as we usually do in this division 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

We have ambition + judgement: you simply want us to to overpay for anyone that we are rumoured to have an interest in. This is not ambition" - it's just naivety and the road to riun.

PS I've got a second hand car to sell - 2010 BMW - good little runner, only 4 reckless owners - I've honestly already turned down £18,000 for it; £20,000 would seal it - shall we call it a deal (Brentford are interested!)?

I’m interested, what mileage is on the clock?🤑

Just now, Justin time said:

I’m interested, what mileage is on the clock?🤑

Only 250,000 - shows what a good runner she is!

Better get a move on DCB is interested and as you know, money is no object with him, so long as he gets what he wants! 😀

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And the usual suspects cheering away no matter what seemingly happy with little ambition 

We have ambition + judgement: you simply want us to to overpay for anyone that we are rumoured to have an interest in. This is not ambition" - it's just naivety and the road to riun.

PS I've got a second hand car to sell - 2010 BMW - good little runner, only 4 reckless owners - I've honestly already turned down £18,000 for it; £20,000 would seal it - shall we call it a deal (Brentford are interested!)?

Come on DCB - others have expressed an interest too! The price might go up from £22,000 to £25,000!

Now's the time to prove your ambishun!

Come on DCB - others have expressed an interest too! The price might go up from £22,000 to £25,000!

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don’t invite him. I am not prepared to get involved in a Dutch auction.

Not this garbage again.....wait and see at the end of the window, all this stuff weeks out is incredibly negative. Webber this week that they are prepared to go deep into the window to get their men and I really wouldn't take any notice of a Sunday rag about Billing.

Cor this thread hasn’t half brought that select minority of our fan base out yet again, all the normal suspects with all the same old lines, digging their heels in when confronted with reason.

Personally, so far I’d give this window a 6 out of 10, but we know for sure we’re are by no means finished, Webber himself has said that it’s going to be a late leaning one. A decent midfielder and striker, keep Todd and Max and we are then looking much stronger. Who knows, Spurs might even sale Kane and go on a spending spree that allows Skipp back.. my point is, it isn’t over until it’s over, and when a transfer window can change dramatically in mere hours, it’s a little early to be throwing the toys out of the pram with 3 weeks left.

Not that some will see reason. It’s like they are delighted and desperate to be proven right, which is pretty pathetic really.