Whenever we go up we struggle to land our targets and this becomes our undoing…we then get left with the bargain bin signings and I fear it is happening again. Gazzumped by Brentford for Ajer and now Billing saying he would rather stay at Bournemouth. one senses the window isn’t going as envisaged. 

here is hoping things improve and the purse strings are opened or it’s going to be a long season again. Come on board- get them over the line - less than three weeks to Liverpool. 

Anyone else getting twitchy or am I just being too negative again?  

I mean it's not like Ajer has crowned himself in glory at Celtic given how the fanbase were popping bottles of wine when he left and all, and Billing has looked like a bit of a donkey whenever he has played us.. Regardless I do feel they could have improved and helped kickstart their careers with us as have qute a few players who have failed to impress before joining us

But I do partly agree it is going that way. End of the day money and wages talk and that's just the way it is, even clubs like Brentford with small stadiums and fanbases who have never played in the top flght before can just turn up and flash more cash than us

11 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Whenever we go up we struggle to land our targets and this becomes our undoing…we then get left with the bargain bin signings and I fear it is happening again. Gazzumped by Brentford for Ajer and now Billing saying he would rather stay at Bournemouth. one senses the window isn’t going as envisaged. 

here is hoping things improve and the purse strings are opened or it’s going to be a long season again. Come on board- get them over the line - less than three weeks to Liverpool. 

Correct, you’re just being negative. AGAIN. As I’ve just said to you on another thread, why don’t you try actually listening to what Webber tells us? There are certain targets that won’t be available until later in the window for various reasons as he very clearly pointed out, so that kind of means we won’t be signing them today, no? Or do you not understand that?

As for Billing, get me a quote from the player himself that says he’d rather stay in the Championship. There’s more to that ‘statement’ than meets the eye…

I am concerned by the sound bites starting to come out hinting at settling for what we’ve got in certain areas or “playing the long game.”

we needed these guys in and bedded into the team.

there has been a bit of smoke and mirrors again here in the sense that in net terms we’ve made a profit again so far in this window. It will not be acceptable for us to do that again in the lead up to a premier league season.

we sold Buendia on the cheap and quickly because our pauper owners, combined with obsession at avoiding debt or other investment means we have cash flow issues whenever wr get promoted. Every single time we go up we herd a striker, holding midfielder snd centre back. Let’s hope that once again we don’t fail to get people in in those positions before it’s too late in January. 

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 1

I remember a neutral pundit, at the end of our last Premiership campaign, suggesting our fans were massively shortchanged given the lack of funds spent on promotion. And given that the club have now had two promotion windfalls and several record sales in recent years- it is hard to continue to see us playing the overly cautious card and being outbid by every other club so that we then struggle to land the right quality of player for this level. This self funding model makes a lot of sense in terms of maintaining top championship status but in reality we end up struggling to compete at next level. Seeing Ajer end up at Brentford stung, as did losing Emi. Other clubs dont seem to sell their best players on promotion and always lose out on all their targets. Frustrating because it feels like we always look the gift horse of promotion in the mouth.

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I am concerned by the sound bites starting to come out hinting at settling for what we’ve got in certain areas or “playing the long game.”

we needed these guys in and bedded into the team.

No, we need the right people in and bedded into the team.

Last time we went up, we signed most of our new additions early on and look how that got us.

I agree with Webber that we were too quick to go from top targets to bodies way too quick and ultimately got punished for it. This time around we should be patient. I like what we've done so far. We know there's still a lot to do. Time is absolutely running out - but there is still time. 

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Other clubs dont seem to sell their best players on promotion and always lose out on all their targets. Frustrating because it feels like we always look the gift horse of promotion in the mouth.

That’s probably because other clubs sell most of their best players upon relegation. But we dug our heels in and remarkably kept Buendia for another season in the Championship. Emi didn’t want to be here, so it was right to sell him. We don’t need unhappy players here with the potential of serious disruption, nor do we need to be sending a signal to potential future quality signings that their footballing career ends here. We need to use those players just as much as they need to use us. We are not Man City and people need to get real and deal with that.

• Like 1

I have been saying for weeks now this has turned into a disaster of a transfer window 

don’t listen to the spin but with Emi gone and our Spurs loanee gone we are clearly weaker

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I have been saying for weeks now this has turned into a disaster of a transfer window 

don’t listen to the spin but with Emi gone and our Spurs loanee gone we are clearly weaker

'disaster of a transfer window'

Come on Freddie, record all time transfer brought in and spending more money than we have in years but it's a disaster. I know you're a fake charecter and all and you need to stick to the same script but at least change it up once in a while

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Come on Freddie, record all time transfer brought in and spending more money than we have in years but it's a disaster. I know you're a fake charecter and all and you need to stick to the same script but at least change it up once in a while

I mean, it’s just a shame there’s not 5 weeks left of the transfer window or anything

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I believe if I sent a postcard to

Dean Coneys boots

1 Negative Street

Negative Town

Negative County

NE5 ATVE

It would get to you.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I believe if I sent a postcard to

Dean Coneys boots

1 Negative Street

Negative Town

Negative County

NE5 ATVE

It would get to you.

NE5, Tyne and Wearisome. 

I’m not disappointed in missing out on Ajer and Billing frankly! How high up were they on Webber’s/Farkes list? Nobody will ever know. 
I’m pretty certain that their will still be one or two surprise marquee signings this time. They have learnt from last time and won’t make the same mistake again.

40 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I mean, it’s just a shame there’s not 5 weeks left of the transfer window or anything

Yup ‘it is happening again’ could well apply to the usual suspects whinging and whining at any and every opportunity…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yup ‘it is happening again’ could well apply to the usual suspects whinging and whining at any and every opportunity…

Or just apply to the 10th thread of the day I make

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

And the usual suspects cheering away no matter what seemingly happy with little ambition 

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or just apply to the 10th thread of the day I make

That would still be early in the  morning! 😉 

It really should set alarm bells ringing when we cannot even compete financially with the clubs promoted alongside us. Even teeny, tiny Brentford. 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I remember a neutral pundit, at the end of our last Premiership campaign, suggesting our fans were massively shortchanged given the lack of funds spent on promotion. And given that the club have now had two promotion windfalls and several record sales in recent years- it is hard to continue to see us playing the overly cautious card and being outbid by every other club so that we then struggle to land the right quality of player for this level. This self funding model makes a lot of sense in terms of maintaining top championship status but in reality we end up struggling to compete at next level. Seeing Ajer end up at Brentford stung, as did losing Emi. Other clubs dont seem to sell their best players on promotion and always lose out on all their targets. Frustrating because it feels like we always look the gift horse of promotion in the mouth.

Youve forgotten to take off the £35M covid deficit! 

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And the usual suspects cheering away no matter what seemingly happy with little ambition 

Not at all.  The idea is to wait until the window is over before judging how successful it has been. Doing so when it’s not even halfway is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It really should set alarm bells ringing when we cannot even compete financially with the clubs promoted alongside us. Even teeny, tiny Brentford. 

FFS, this disingenuous nonsense again and again. We were after a player which the selling club were over valuing. If Brentford want to pay over the odds to get a player so be it. City aren't going to do that.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s probably because other clubs sell most of their best players upon relegation. But we dug our heels in and remarkably kept Buendia for another season in the Championship.

Keeping Buendia last year when he was clearly eyeing a move enabled us to get a far better price than we would otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Youve forgotten to take off the £35M covid deficit! 

You’ve forgotten this effected every club so the playing field was levelled in this regard 

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not at all.  The idea is to wait until the window is over before judging how successful it has been. Doing so when it’s not even halfway is ridiculous.

Do find it amusing how only a few days or so age Webber was publicly outlining his plans to keep us in the Prem 'for at the very least five years' as we in the past window have made an all time record transfer and yet the same old 'ambiton' lines are being thrown around by the same people over and over..

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair it has been a disaster for his mob, considering they just lost their most promising youngster to our u23 side..... 😏

13 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We have ambition + judgement: you simply want us to to overpay for anyone that we are rumoured to have an interest in. This is not ambition" - it's just naivety and the road to riun.

PS I've got a second hand car to sell - 2010 BMW - good little runner, only 4 reckless owners - I've honestly already turned down £18,000 for it; £20,000 would seal it - shall we call it a deal (Brentford are interested!)?

• Like 1