Sign in to follow this  

Been fortunate enough to catch two of the friendlies online so far. My good, bad and ugly from them.

GOOD

- Melou looks a cracking player. Reminds me so much of Johnny Howson in the way he is effective going forward, influential defensively, decent on the ball and a goal threat too. Looks a bit of an all rounder, without perhaps being exemplary at any one thing. Looking forward to seeing more.

- Mumba also looks very effective out at right wing back. I'm impressed by his pressing, movement and positional sense. If he can just improve on his timing a little - some of his challenges have been a bit late - I think he'll go on to be a very good player in years to come.

- I'm a bit hot and cold when it comes to Onel. Today I thought he was good; his pace, ability on the ball and direct running caused problems. But he needs to make better decisions. His final balls and finishing needs to be better. I have often thought I wouldn't be too fussed if Onel left us. But seeing his performance today and how he did has made me wonder if maybe Emi leaving us creates a bit more opportunity for Onel to play in his favoured position on the right and show us what he can do.

- Thought Gilmour looked good vs Kings Lynn. Not enough to deserve the plethora of Youtube videos of frothy Chelsea fans proclaiming "THE MESSIAH HAS ARRIVED!" as he dribbled around two non league players, but his vision, passing and ability on the ball was obvious. He and Melou could be a very appealing midfield duo.

- Todd is another that has looked sharp in the two games. Please don't leave us, Todd.

- Rupp. Played a lot of minutes. Covered a lot of grass. I've no clue what his best position is, but I really think he's got a lot to offer in either that no. 8 box to box role or no 10. Could be influential this season if he keeps injury free.

- Can I spare a moment to speak about Lewis O'Brien? If I were Stuart Webber I'd be asking how much they want to leave him here at Colney. Thought after Melou he was the best player on the pitch,  worked bloody hard, great pressing, tackles flying in. If we bought him for £8m/£9m, he's the sort of player who would be worth double by this time next season.

BAD

- Poor Placheta. He looks like an attacking winger, low on confidence, being asked to play in a position he's entirely uncomfortable in. When asked to do anything defensive he seemingly panics. Now we should be fair - he's shown some promise as an attacking force and closing people down with his pace, but I think we need a left back to cover for Dimi and allow Placheta to either seek regular football elsewhere or give him a chance on the left wing.

- Rashica not yet firing on all cylinders. I do wonder if he's a Grant Holt type that thrives in the atmosphere of a packed stadium and comes to life. Would explain his downturn in form in recent times.

- Hugill. I'm a fan, and have defended him on here in the past when he's been criticised. I felt for the time he was on the pitch last season he contributed effectively. But in this new system, I've felt he's been somewhat adrift, without really the same movement and positional intelligence to find space that - for example - Pukki possesses. I've banged on about the need for another striker, and while Idah does look as if he is sharp and hungry, I think if Forest or any club are willing to offer Hugill a new home, I wouldn't be too unhappy from what I've seen so far for him to move on. Equally so, if he remains at Carrow Road this season, so be it, I can see he's an influential figure in the dressing room.

UGLY

- What was up with the commentator this afternoon? Everytime Norwich had an effort on goal, it sounded like he was screaming into the microphone. As someone watching with earphones plugged in while I worked, it was not a pleasant experience!

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 4

I like all posters and wish them long and happy lives. 

Will get back to you with more friendly thoughts as they occur. 

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Been fortunate enough to catch two of the friendlies online so far. My good, bad and ugly from them.

GOOD

- Melou looks a cracking player. Reminds me so much of Johnny Howson in the way he is effective going forward, influential defensively, decent on the ball and a goal threat too. Looks a bit of an all rounder, without perhaps being exemplary at any one thing. Looking forward to seeing more.

- Mumba also looks very effective out at right wing back. I'm impressed by his pressing, movement and positional sense. If he can just improve on his timing a little - some of his challenges have been a bit late - I think he'll go on to be a very good player in years to come.

- I'm a bit hot and cold when it comes to Onel. Today I thought he was good; his pace, ability on the ball and direct running caused problems. But he needs to make better decisions. His final balls and finishing needs to be better. I have often thought I wouldn't be too fussed if Onel left us. But seeing his performance today and how he did has made me wonder if maybe Emi leaving us creates a bit more opportunity for Onel to play in his favoured position on the right and show us what he can do.

- Thought Gilmour looked good vs Kings Lynn. Not enough to deserve the plethora of Youtube videos of frothy Chelsea fans proclaiming "THE MESSIAH HAS ARRIVED!" as he dribbled around two non league players, but his vision, passing and ability on the ball was obvious. He and Melou could be a very appealing midfield duo.

- Todd is another that has looked sharp in the two games. Please don't leave us, Todd.

- Rupp. Played a lot of minutes. Covered a lot of grass. I've no clue what his best position is, but I really think he's got a lot to offer in either that no. 8 box to box role or no 10. Could be influential this season if he keeps injury free.

- Can I spare a moment to speak about Lewis O'Brien? If I were Stuart Webber I'd be asking how much they want to leave him here at Colney. Thought after Melou he was the best player on the pitch,  worked bloody hard, great pressing, tackles flying in. If we bought him for £8m/£9m, he's the sort of player who would be worth double by this time next season.

BAD

- Poor Placheta. He looks like an attacking winger, low on confidence, being asked to play in a position he's entirely uncomfortable in. When asked to do anything defensive he seemingly panics. Now we should be fair - he's shown some promise as an attacking force and closing people down with his pace, but I think we need a left back to cover for Dimi and allow Placheta to either seek regular football elsewhere or give him a chance on the left wing.

- Rashica not yet firing on all cylinders. I do wonder if he's a Grant Holt type that thrives in the atmosphere of a packed stadium and comes to life. Would explain his downturn in form in recent times.

- Hugill. I'm a fan, and have defended him on here in the past when he's been criticised. I felt for the time he was on the pitch last season he contributed effectively. But in this new system, I've felt he's been somewhat adrift, without really the same movement and positional intelligence to find space that - for example - Pukki possesses. I've banged on about the need for another striker, and while Idah does look as if he is sharp and hungry, I think if Forest or any club are willing to offer Hugill a new home, I wouldn't be too unhappy from what I've seen so far for him to move on. Equally so, if he remains at Carrow Road this season, so be it, I can see he's an influential figure in the dressing room.

UGLY

- What was up with the commentator this afternoon? Everytime Norwich had an effort on goal, it sounded like he was screaming into the microphone. As someone watching with earphones plugged in while I worked, it was not a pleasant experience!

Agree with every single word of that, including the bit about the commentator.

Interesting thoughts about Rashica needing the buzz from the crowd/occasion, I wondered the same, but I'm not sure Farke will like that as his regime needs to see 100% in training, but he does looks a bit sluiggish at the moment, maybe will take a bit of time to settle. 

I've only seen today's game so can't comment with such authority. My son said Gilmour, Omo and Mumba were the standouts in the Lynn game and I was v impressed with Bali today. 

Overall, I feel we're only two or three away from being competitive this season and didn't think that most who came on in the second half were way off the quality of the starters. 

Dowell was a little quiet, though I'm a fan generally, and Rashica looks like he'll need time to settle. 

But Melou was terrific, always available and gave a really good performance for the full 90. Agree with your thoughts on O'Brien as mentioned on another thread. He seems very much like our sort of player and I'd have him over Billing if we had to choose. 

Largely agree, but I actually thought Placheta did quite well. He used his pace well to track runners back and press them into errors or hurrying balls they wanted a shade more time on. For me he looks more dangerous surging out from deep into space, so starting him further back actually makes a lot of sense. I think he got a bit tired in the second half, which I would expect as he's played a lot and no doubt the pre-season training is going to leave lads a little fatigued going into games as part of the conditioning. Seems to hit a reasonable set-piece as well - we actually looked a bit more dangerous on corners. Do wish he'd watch Onel when it comes to going at folk though. Just drop a shoulder and put your foot down.

Lees-Melou was pleasing to watch. I thought the combination with Rupp was really good - you suddenly had two pacey, industrious men with good technique and passing in the middle of the park who weren't averse to some longer balls to speed up attacks. Both men put in very good shifts. Don't see Lees-Melou as the number 10 though. He's definitely a box-to-box type with the bonus of a Vrancic-esque cross-field ball in the locker. With the likes of Gilmour, McLean and Sorensen yet to come, I'm increasingly confident in our midfield. Dowell wasn't quite as sharp but kept plugging away.

Rashica's enthusiasm and swagger is clear to see, unfortunately so is the ring rust. Some clattering tackles early on might not have helped matters, but I think the class is clearly there, it'll need a month or so before it starts flashing. Omo had a few shaky moments on the ball today. Not too worried about that, training games are about getting fit and also about experimenting a little. I'm more than heartened to see how a 19 y/o centre-half is deciding he's going to take responsibility and stride out to open attacks with the opportunity of a Premier League shirt on the line. 

Idah's in a similar boat to Omo in more ways than one. He sees the prize, and is clearly fancying it. Wouldn't be surprised to see both of them come along here.

If everyone stays with no more signings I think DF has to ponder on his midfield.

I am assuming he might fancy a three at the back so it is likely to be

Aarons Gilmour Melou Giannoulis

Teemu up front so who are the three?

Choose from Todd, Dowell, MacLean, Rupp, Dowell, Rashica, Placheta, Argos.

I thought Placheta did really well, showed some great skill towards the end and lasted the 90 minutes OK. We've got plenty of options at left back. 

Rashica is building up his fitness slowly I get the feeling he'll do well in the big games. 

Idah's scoring record since he came on at Barnsley has been excellent, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hugill leave. Adshead's contribution was amazing considering he was only on for a few minutes. Tomkinson could be another Omobamidele. 

The side that started the second half was more or less our 2nd X1 but PLM is class and has to start v Liverpool. 

27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If everyone stays with no more signings I think DF has to ponder on his midfield.

I am assuming he might fancy a three at the back so it is likely to be

Aarons Gilmour Melou Giannoulis

Teemu up front so who are the three?

Choose from Todd, Dowell, MacLean, Rupp, Dowell, Rashica, Placheta, Argos.

The Dowell twins have to play - surely?!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

I thought Placheta did really well, showed some great skill towards the end and lasted the 90 minutes OK. We've got plenty of options at left back. 

Rashica is building up his fitness slowly I get the feeling he'll do well in the big games. 

Idah's scoring record since he came on at Barnsley has been excellent, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hugill leave. Adshead's contribution was amazing considering he was only on for a few minutes. Tomkinson could be another Omobamidele. 

The side that started the second half was more or less our 2nd X1 but PLM is class and has to start v Liverpool. 

That one where he lobbed it over a player and ran round was great and made me think "right, Przemek, now you've another trick there and that's perfect for your pace, use it a bit more". Sometimes I wish he'd just drop the shoulder, go the other way and really get on the front foot.

We have now come through 3 games without any worrying injuries that could upset the season start so keeping fingers crossed that  continues as we head towards August 14th.

Early days but my general impression is one of great optimism. Backs up the idea that we’re moving from a top 26 club towards a team capable of hold their own in the premier league.

And after seeing Lees-Melou, makes me think … Olly who?

UPDATED THOUGHTS

Good

1. CROWDS AT CARROW ROAD - Oh goodness, what a sight. Only 10k, but hearing the crowds roar over the stream I was watching was lovely indeed. Looking forward to August 14th and the real thing.

2. Lees-Melou looked terrific again, as he did previously

3. I was impressed by both Max and Dimi, bombing up and down the flanks. They're clearly going to be able to be more offensive against Gillingham than - for example - Liverpool, but I hope they prove to be a bit more of a useful source of goal scoring opportunities than previously.

4. The midfield 5's movement and interchange was glorious. Lots of praise rightly being put on Gilmour (what a pass for goal 4, if I remember right), Lees-Melou and Rupp but I think you can include Dowell and Cantwell too. All five were shifting themselves around and looked handy.

Bad

1. Where was everybody? I assume we'll get a bit of an insight from Farke in a few moments time, but the number of players missing is pretty worrying.

2. "Just" Gillingham. I was looking forward to Sheffield Utd as a proper test of our ability, and I appreciate we have still got Newcastle to come. But this Gillingham side weren't great. They weren't bad - by any stretch - but it's hard to gauge where we are at when we play these sorts of teams. 

Ugly 

1. Uugghh. The stream quality was appalling wasn't it? The picture was clanky and junky as if recorded on an old webcam, the audio was distorted with the volume up and down throughout the match. How come, with a perfect stream in the match vs Kings Lynn, did we get such a drop in quality for something we had to pay £5 for? 

2. Still need more transfers. Get a move on please, Stuart!  

• Like 1