Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Demarai Gray- From Bayer to Everton for only 1.7m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57916930

Sure, he may not have lived up to his hype and hes no longer as young as he once was but that's a hell of a good signing given how much English players go for nowdays, fair play to Everton. Question is would you have been happy to see him here had we signed him for the same price?

Rather surprised we were not linked with him given he was playing in Germany and all.. Or maybe we were and I missed it which wouldn't surprise me to be fair 😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Guess wages might have been a stumbling block. At that price, an absolute no-brainer; clearly a very talented player and a step up from Onel and Pepe. With the English player premium too, every chance of good sell-on value if he was successful.

Wonder if it's worth looking for English players abroad? Doubt there are too many, but also you'd think they might not get as much of the Brexit / homegrown player premium from other Premiership sides.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wonder if it's worth looking for English players abroad? Doubt there are too many, but also you'd think they might not get as much of the Brexit / homegrown player premium from other Premiership sides.

Lookman is the one that fits that bill who I'd be a fan of going after. Thought he looked lively for Fulham last season.

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

Lookman is the one that fits that bill who I'd be a fan of going after. Thought he looked lively for Fulham last season.

Totally agree, then I think we kind of got someone in a similar vein in Rashica.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

That's a good shout.

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

Good penalty taker.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Man, you saying he needed to look..  Ok, I tried

You're a Saka for punishment, pal! 😉

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Guess wages might have been a stumbling block. At that price, an absolute no-brainer; clearly a very talented player and a step up from Onel and Pepe. With the English player premium too, every chance of good sell-on value if he was successful.

Why did Leicester sell him for £2m in the first place though, why are Leverkusen selling him at a loss just 6 months later, and why did he only get an 18 month deal? 

All feels a bit odd, did he go off the boil at some point?

Would have fitted the project beautifully, virtually a free signing.

Look, where in the Premier League and will have to pay the appropriate wage if we are to get anyone remotely of EPL standard. 

37 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why did Leicester sell him for £2m in the first place though, why are Leverkusen selling him at a loss just 6 months later, and why did he only get an 18 month deal? 

Yeah it does seem odd- I know he hasn't kicked on as hoped but he's only 25 so it feels odd clubs are willing to get rid for such small amounts.

EDIT- so having looked it seems like Leicester sold in January as his contract was done in 6 months and the fee Everton paid was a release clause in his contract.

Edited by king canary

Struggled to even get in the Leverkeusen team and was unimpressive when he did play.

If this was say a German player we weren't familiar with and got told we'd paid around 2mil for a guy who scored 1 in 10 from the wing, we'd hardly be raving about what a great deal it was...

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He never kicked on after early flashes of promise. At one point Leicester wanted around £15m for him then just cut their losses. 

Hell of a steal at 1.7m even if he is on hefty wages that outweighs low fee. Wouldve been buzzing if he rocked up here