Sign in to follow this  
Krul Mistress

Biggest transfers this summer; some perspective

I think some perspective is required. I know Emi is amazing. I genuinely believe the sky is the limit for him. But we have to be realistic about what he has achieved, and what that means for his value. Coupled with him clearly wanting to move on, our hands were somewhat tied, but judging by the rest of the market we seems to have got reasonable value. A few points:

Look at the top five transfers: PSG, Bayern, Liverpool, Villa, Atletico. We might not view Villa as a big club, but they're spending big club money.

Upamecano had a release fee, I think it's fair to say his market value would have been higher. But there is no way that what Buendia has achieved in football could be compared to that of Upamecano, objectively speaking, and the difference in price was <€5m

A number of players in the top 10 have moved for less than their peak market value (Buendia was worth €22m when the bid came in FYI)

Source below, there are some players that have had excellent top flight seasons that have moved for far less than Buendia; Daka, Tomori, Silva, McKennie, and they're just the ones I've heard of. Silva scored 28 goals in 32 Bundesliga games last season, is one year older than Buendia and cost a little over half the price of Emi.

Keep calm, guys, the window isn't over yet. 

TL;DR in Webber we trust.

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/saisontransfers

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that Andre Silva had a release clause, and on further investigation so did Tomori, while McKennie's fee was agreed last summer. The players in the image below that didn't move for their release clause are: Hakimi, de Paul, Daka, Gerson, and Guehi.

Top transfers.png

Edited by Krul Mistress
Correct inaccuracies around release clauses
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

here are some players that have had excellent top flight seasons that have moved for far less than Buendia; Daka, Tomori, Silva, McKennie, and they're just the ones I've heard of. Silva scored 28 goals in 32 Bundesliga games

Took me 30 seconds to find out that Leipzeg triggered his release clause, and Silva only agreed to to join Frankfurt from Milan if that release clause existed. Had nothing to do with the "market". 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Took me 30 seconds to find out that Leipzeg triggered his release clause, and Silva only agreed to to join Frankfurt from Milan if that release clause existed. Had nothing to do with the "market". 

Okay thanks for clarifying. Not an attempt to mislead.

Any thoughts on the other points I made or happy to negate the rest of it because it doesn't suit your bed-wetting agenda?

• Like 1

Release clauses are all part of the market, it is daft to suggest otherwise  - transfer fees are only part of the equation.  One that’s going to happen is Sancho - that’s apparently been held up but will still go through.

Even including that there certainly haven’t been many large transfers this summer - we were led to believe it would all happen post-Euros, but that finished nigh-on a fortnight ago...it does seem rather sluggish, though with tonnes of rumours.

As I posted in one of the other toys-out-of-pram threads, De Paul is the best comparison as they play in a similar position and are the same nationality. De Paul is two-and-a-half years older, but he has been a regular for the Argentina national team and a standout Serie A player for the last two or three years, and he has gone for a similar fee. Using that as a comparison, we did well to get the fee we did for a far more unproven version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As I posted in one of the other toys-out-of-pram threads, De Paul is the best comparison as they play in a similar position and are the same nationality. De Paul is two-and-a-half years older, but he has been a regular for the Argentina national team and a standout Serie A player for the last two or three years, and he has gone for a similar fee. Using that as a comparison, we did well to get the fee we did for a far more unproven version.

I think Gerson is also a decent comparison. He's more defensive minded but similar profile. Had a period in Serie A that didn't work out (Emi in La Liga). Now a 24 year old on the verge of Brazil squad (6 months younger than Emi). Release clause was £60m but moved for more like £20m.

1 hour ago, Krul Mistress said:

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that Andre Silva had a release clause, and on further investigation so did Tomori, while McKennie's fee was agreed last summer. The players in the image below that didn't move for their release clause are: Hakimi, de Paul, Daka, Gerson, and Guehi.

Tomori wasn't a release clause, it was an option to buy at the end of the loan spell, as was McKennie's.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Tomori wasn't a release clause, it was an option to buy at the end of the loan spell, as was McKennie's.

Thanks for clarifying. Not going to edit again as, whether it was a release clause or pre-agreed fee, the point was that the fee was not negotiated this summer at market rate.

6 hours ago, Krul Mistress said:

Okay thanks for clarifying. Not an attempt to mislead.

Any thoughts on the other points I made or happy to negate the rest of it because it doesn't suit your bed-wetting agenda?

Touché