TeemuVanBasten

How do we get over...

Seventeen teams survived in the PL last season without Emi Buendia in their squad.

Two more got promoted without him,

We have a manager who, imo, stands alongside the best in the game today .... with cruel experience in his locker to boot.

We will be fine. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

. If Norwich are relegated the argument will be it was because Emi was sold - but there is no way of knowing that if he stayed things would have been any different. 

But you know deep down that will be the claim.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

General consensus outside of Norwich is that they did very well to get such a large fee for Emi. 

Obviously he was our best player, not denying that, but the bigger question is - is Emi or £38m of more use to Norwich in the short-term?

I personally believe the money is of more use right now, it is allowing Norwich to make some big moves in the market and improve the squad overall, that is more important than having one exceptional player.

I would have been better, from a fan point of view, if he had gone abroad or somewhere like Liverpool where there was no question he was stepping up a level. But Villa are taking their opportunity in a deflated market to bring in quality players for big prices - they are doing what Chelsea did last season at a smaller scale. If Villa land Leon Bailey for another £30m then you can see why Emi was keen to move there with the promises they must have made him (and the £85k a week wage). 

Selling Emi hurts fans' pride, which is understandable, but overall it may have been a sensible strategic decision. Unfortunately there will never be conclusive proof if it worked one way or the other. If Norwich survive they can say it was a good idea - although the lingering thought will always be there that they would have done even better with Emi around. If Norwich are relegated the argument will be it was because Emi was sold - but there is no way of knowing that if he stayed things would have been any different. 

Exactly, and we're doing what Villa did on a smaller scale again. Top up our war chest, and try to get quality players in depressed markets.

I was just about to say much the same as Bethnal - imo it allows us to get, say, 3 players which improves our depth and enhances our chances.  The money was about right. 

Well I'm still inconsolable and my personal pain's excruciating......BUT Villa.....of all teams?......

£33 million is absolute peanuts.....I can easily earn that in 119 working lifetimes.....(With the assistance of cryogenic suspension).....

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Lost my dad to cancer back in 2001. It's no respecter of reputations.

I apologise, and I have edited.

Its now Herpes.

31 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thanks so much for that contribution, so simple and yet so profound. I've now had an epiphany and see my whole life differently.

We can apply that to every social problem or worry that we have...

Herpes? Just get over it. Simples.

Grief? Just get over it. Simples.

Depression? Just get over it. Simples.

Homelessness? Just get over it. Simples.

Drug Addiction? Just get over it. Simples.

Limbless? Just get over it. Simples.

Mount Everest? Just get over it. Simples.

Lake district canary for Prime Minister! 

Jesus wept

We get over it by investing the funds in quality players and staying up this season. If we survive, selling Emi will be forgotten. If this season is a complete slog and we're rock bottom again, which Pukki looking lost and alone up front and zero creativity from midfield, we'll continue to mourn.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly, and we're doing what Villa did on a smaller scale again. Top up our war chest, and try to get quality players in depressed markets.

I don't get this? 

Villa haven't sold their best attacking player to fund acquisitions?

So its not comparable at all? 

2 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Jesus wept

I don't know, being crucified might be less painful than reading some of the posts on here

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I dont think we got mugged. We set an asking price and chose to accept it. The club Im sure feels happy with the deal. Its not comparable to deals in previous seasons because Covid has made finances very different. 

As Maddison is being talked about in a £65m deal, if he does go, this increases the overall value we got for that transfer. Buendia is similarly young and if his stock rises he too is likely to provide us with a decent sell-on fee.

We weren't under any pressure to sell other than the player's desire to go and any gentleman's agreements in place, but it was all done without any animosity

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We get over it by investing the funds in quality players and staying up this season. If we survive, selling Emi will be forgotten. If this season is a complete slog and we're rock bottom again, which Pukki looking lost and alone up front and zero creativity from midfield, we'll continue to mourn.

A lot of truth in that.

But feels like we're a million miles away from having significantly improved the squad.

Its a risk.

So we take £35m to add to our war chest.

But there are other teams chasing primary targets, we're losing out to Brentford for Ajer. We've got no Skipp replacement. We've still got Hugill as our second choice striker.

We can't keep taking the second tier for granted, a yo-yo isn't guarenteed, its a hard division to get out of. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't get this? 

Buying players as a relatively cash-rich club in depressed markets is very comparable (not to mention Grealish could well be going yet). We're not exactly wealthy, being self-funded, so we have to scratch around.

The only difference is in how we topped up the war chest. The purchasing decisions (and that was the crux of my point) are fundamentally the same.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well £35m obviously was the valuation.

But for me, that valuation feels very low.

If Buendia is a £35m player then Cantwell must be worth about £12m. 

We won't see a player as good as Emi in a Norwich shirt again.

I’m with you mate!   Can’t disagree.    He’s worth more than that by a distance IMO and, avoiding injury he will prove it.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I apologise, and I have edited.

Its now Herpes.

I wasn't offended to be fair (face it, my brand of humour as demonstrated on here is pitch black), but no worries.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

I wasn't offended to be fair (face it, my brand of humour as demonstrated on here is pitch black), but no worries.

Well just in case somebody else reading is offended, I'm happy to pre-emptively edit as an offence prevention measure. 

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

How long have you been a Norwich fan TvB? We have always sold our best players, sometimes for a top price, sometimes for a pittance.

We will get over it because we always have

I think it must surely be very rare for a club to sell its best players immediately after promotion. 

They usually get relegated first, after having a go at grabbing another £120m in Sky money. 

We've just left the mighty Lynn and Lincoln in our football warrior like wake.....Both crushed without Emi.....Onwards an' Upwards.... 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well just in case somebody else reading is offended, I'm happy to pre-emptively edit as an offence prevention measure. 

Ran out of likes but never mind. Then again, I got banned from Rate My Plate for saying someone's French fries were "paler than Josef Fritzl's kids".

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How do we get over the shame and embarrassment of selling Villa a player who is better than Grealish, for well less than half of what they will end up getting for Grealish?

36 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Get over it. Simple.

You've answered your own ****ing stupid question. Simple.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

57 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The feeling of being mugged.

For Buendia.

How are we ever going to accept losing our best ever player, a player who within six months will be considered one of the best players in the league, for the same amount Liverpool once paid for Andy Carroll and £15m less than Man Utd paid for England's fifth choice right back.

How do we get over the shame and embarrassment of selling Villa a player who is better than Grealish, for well less than half of what they will end up getting for Grealish?

Stop saying 'we' when you mean 'I'.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't get this? 

There's a good chance they're going to, if Man City can find the money.

40 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Well I'm also a 'we' which makes us more than an 'I'.....Plural, not singular.....

I'm sure there's a 'phone box somewhere where you could meet up.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You've answered your own ****ing stupid question. Simple.

You are a foul potty mouthed yokel, do you spit everywhere, put your dirty shoes on train seats and drop your fag butts on the floor too? Get over the Suffolk border you piece of trailer trash. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Are we still going on about this...

Yep and only one decent balanced response from Bethnal ........ the rest, dear me.

Come the end of the season there will either be 'I told you so' gloating, or 'where did all the money go' whinening.

We might lose Todd and Max yet as well.

Never a dull moment at NCFC.

• Like 1