TeemuVanBasten

How do we get over...

The feeling of being mugged.

For Buendia.

How are we ever going to accept losing our best ever player, a player who within six months will be considered one of the best players in the league, for the same amount Liverpool once paid for Andy Carroll and £15m less than Man Utd paid for England's fifth choice right back.

How do we get over the shame and embarrassment of selling Villa a player who is better than Grealish, for well less than half of what they will end up getting for Grealish?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

For Buendia.

How are we ever going to accept losing our best ever player, a player who within six months will be considered one of the best players in the league, for the same amount Liverpool once paid for Andy Carroll and £15m less than Man Utd paid for England's fifth choice right back.

How do we get over the shame and embarrassment of selling Villa a player who is better than Grealish, for well less than half of what they will end up getting for Grealish?

I disagree that he's better than Grealish, but I still do think we got less than he was worth.

The only way we can get over it is with results on the pitch. Daniel will have learnt a lot from two years ago; even with the creativity of Emi and Todd in the squad, we still went down with a whimper and got bullied lots. The football we play this season may well not be as exciting or creative as it was with Emi (and Maddison before him), but if we're a more galvanised unit with a tighter defence and a stronger physical presence, there could still be a lot to like about this season.

If we go down with a whimper again, though, I'd expect that the loss of Emi's creativity is going to be a factor in that. 

• Like 1

I think we very much got the going rate for him. That much is clear by Arsenal's refusal to bid more but clearly having the funds to do so (see Ben White). 

That he might have been worth more to us is a more likely argument. But he's only worth more to us if he wants to be here. 

I don't think it's a coincidence the OP has posted after a couple of assists from Emi against Walsall last night; which I don't think has any bearing on his value.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

For Buendia.

We grow up and realise that £40m (if the add-ons accrue) is not "being mugged". Especially in the current economic climate affecting the finances of football clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

For Buendia.

Totally agree, he’s going to prove to be an absolute bargain!      As a fan of football, I am going to enjoy watching him progress, and hope he is a massive success.    Good luck to him.

Without Farke and Norwich, he may not have realised this potential, he has a lot to thank us for.    

We won’t get over it for a while.    You only need to read the thread last night to see how his performance set this forum off!

We didn't get mugged. We got what the market was able to cough up at the time. We hoped Atletico would make a bid but they've got financial issues. Arsenal clearly didn't think he was worth what Villa paid, as evidenced by the fact they've just lashed out £50m for Ben White. So, we were left with Villa's bid. And I think it's worked out well as let's face it, if he improves like we think then a team like Atletico might just go for him, and we'll benefit from that sell-on clause.

The price premium for British talent with our homegrown rules is quite considerable compared to foreign players of similar ability. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we sold Aarons to a fellow Premier League club for more than what we got for Buendia if he has another good season with us (but would be if it were a Bayern Munich or Barcelona). Price is not just a reflection of innate ability, it also reflects the buying team's need at that moment in time.

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just get over it. Simples.

Thanks so much for that contribution, so simple and yet so profound. I've now had an epiphany and see my whole life differently.

We can apply that to every social problem or worry that we have...

Herpes? Just get over it. Simples.

Grief? Just get over it. Simples.

Depression? Just get over it. Simples.

Homelessness? Just get over it. Simples.

Drug Addiction? Just get over it. Simples.

Limbless? Just get over it. Simples.

Mount Everest? Just get over it. Simples.

Lake district canary for Prime Minister! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Ffs!! Get a grip,  are your lives so sad you're gonna  bleat for months on end over a player that clearly wanted to leave. ? I guess so.  

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

We didn't get mugged. We got what the market was able to cough up at the time. 

Is there a compelling reason you can give me as to why we had to sell a contracted player in this market then, rather than wait for better prices?

Think Levy will sell Kane for £75m because of the market today, or wait a year if he needs to? 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thanks so much for that contribution, so simple and yet so profound. I've now had an epiphany and see my whole life differently.

Cancer? Just get over it. Simples.

All those are possible life changing situations. You are talking about a footballer pursuing his trade. Get over it.

• Thanks 1

If, and I don’t think it’s a big if, he is a sensation this season, will we be happy at £35m?     There is an argument that if they don’t meet our valuation he could have stayed.    We could have said £50m at the outset like Brighton did with White.    ……. What we said was it will have to beat the record deal, ie Godfreys £25m.    Yes I know he wanted to go but we are in the Premier League but could we have fought harder to keep him.

Is there a compelling reason you can give me as to why we had to sell a contracted player in this market then, rather than wait for better prices?

Think Levy will sell Kane for £75m because of the market today, or wait a year if he needs to? 

Yep we wanted to get on with business, not wring our hand for weeks over a max extra five million.  It's business....you of all people  should understand that, yep we could have  waited... but more money may not have been offered, the club wanted to get on with it. ..

It did.

They didn't ask you. 

So what.

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Cancer? Just get over it. Simples.

Either a very poorly thought out joke or you really need some perspective if you think it’s ok to compare these with selling a football player to another football club.

• Like 6

Who says those better prices would have come? I'd also point out that the purchases of Rashica and Lees-Melou probably wouldn't have been possible without selling Buendia coming off an excellent season in the Champs, nor the fact we've made £10m bids for Ajer (but not got him, I think we've dodged a bullet there personally, but hey) and Billing.

Which leads nicely to another point. We got Rashica for a relative steal as Bremen were in financial trouble, and it looks like we might have pulled a blinder to get Lees-Melou in due to the collapse of the French cable TV deal. So even if we accept (which I don't) the notion that Buendia was slightly undersold, the markets to buy other quality operators in at far lower prices may also have far thinner pickings.

Ultimately, the transfer dealings and their performances will be the story of whether this is justified or not. We've already seen the rough template before. We mourned Godfrey leaving us, along came Gibson. We were sad to see Lewis go, along came Giannoulis. And we beefed up our defence massively. And when Maddison went, along came Stiepermann (in the actual #10 role) and Buendia.

Not to mention, we've done all this, self-financed, whilst improving facilities at the same time. Wholly admirable over four years if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Our best player'

I see. He helped us stay in the Prem and won us non promotion trophies huh?

Oh so sorry Mr. Cambridge sir, please forgive me, you are the forum boss, a very special person.

I didn't realise we could only choose our best player from the 1984/85 or 1961/62 squads.

I will choose again.

Oh, we can't even have Martin Peters...

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

**** me.

Another Buendia thread. Could this have gone in the current one? Or any of the hundreds of other threads?

Get over it. Simple.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

All those are possible life changing situations. You are talking about a footballer pursuing his trade. Get over it.

Which is exactly what TvB would say to any other supporter  if the boot was on the other foot,  but the big baby is self isolating, so is feeling a wickle bit fragile and lonely and if Emi would only come back everything would be fine.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Which leads nicely to another point. We got Rashica for a relative steal as Bremen were in financial trouble, and it looks like we might have pulled a blinder to get Lees-Melou in due to the collapse of the French cable TV deal. 

Deciding those signings are good business before they've kicked a ball is a dangerous game to play.

Can remember when people thought we'd 'arrived' because we bought a couple of Dutch internationals. 

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Either a very poorly thought out joke or you really need some perspective if you think it’s ok to compare these with selling a football player to another football club.

Just get over it. Simples.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Deciding those signings are good business before they've kicked a ball is a dangerous game to play.

Can remember when people thought we'd 'arrived' because we bought a couple of Dutch internationals. 

Which was precisely why I said "Ultimately, the transfer dealings and their performances will be the story of whether this is justified or not."

However, their intent is pretty clear.

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

He Obviously  doesn't have a wife with stage4 metastatic  cancer  then,  lucky him,  I hope he never does. 

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

There is an argument that if they don’t meet our valuation he could have stayed.  

Well £35m obviously was the valuation.

But for me, that valuation feels very low.

If Buendia is a £35m player then Cantwell must be worth about £12m. 

We won't see a player as good as Emi in a Norwich shirt again.

Ultimately, this is the market right now. £33m rising to £38m is probably fair, and I think the only time a Championship or newly-promoted club have received a higher figure than this for a player is Nathan Ake to Man City.

A good comparison would be Rodrigo De Paul. He's a similar position and age to Buendia, but a regular in the Argentina national team and a standout player in the Serie A for two or three years now and Atletico Madrid paid €35m for him this summer. That makes our deal for the far less proven Buendia look good, in comparison.

As for Buendia being better than Grealish, that's the sort of delusion we taunt Ipswich fans for and would get us laughed at by fans of any other club. Grealish is one of the most sought after players in English football and Man City, the best side in the country I'd not world football right now, are prepared to spend £100m on him.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

He Obviously  doesn't have a wife with stage4 metastatic  cancer  then,  lucky him,  I hope he never does. 

Lost my dad to cancer back in 2001. It's no respecter of reputations.

General consensus outside of Norwich is that they did very well to get such a large fee for Emi. 

Obviously he was our best player, not denying that, but the bigger question is - is Emi or £38m of more use to Norwich in the short-term?

I personally believe the money is of more use right now, it is allowing Norwich to make some big moves in the market and improve the squad overall, that is more important than having one exceptional player.

It would have been better, from a fan point of view, if he had gone abroad or somewhere like Liverpool where there was no question he was stepping up a level. But Villa are taking their opportunity in a deflated market to bring in quality players for big prices - they are doing what Chelsea did last season at a smaller scale. If Villa land Leon Bailey for another £30m then you can see why Emi was keen to move there with the promises they must have made him (and the £85k a week wage). 

Selling Emi hurts fans' pride, which is understandable, but overall it may have been a sensible strategic decision. Unfortunately there will never be conclusive proof if it worked one way or the other. If Norwich survive they can say it was a good idea - although the lingering thought will always be there that they would have done even better with Emi around. If Norwich are relegated the argument will be it was because Emi was sold - but there is no way of knowing that if he stayed things would have been any different. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Lost my dad to cancer back in 2001. It's no respecter of reputations.

Yep,  I'm all for bad taste jokes...but he wasnt joking.  He must be feeling  rather embarrassed,  and if he isn't,  he should be.