Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Gay footballers...

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Fine, if you want to believe that there isn't a higher than average proportion of gay men in performative arts and dancing, or air stewarding, that society as a whole then knock yourself out. If it doesn't bother you that it's pretty much on a par with flat earth belief in terms of its connection to reality then great!

No - I simply won't believe any anecdotal throwaway comment to be fact. Strange that you think that makes ME the one to be on a par with flat Earth beliefs... 

There may well be jobs where different types of people are attracted to it than others. More women, more men, more tall people, more dark haired people. I did a degree with 10 people in my year group. We had 1 person with red hair, that's 10% which is 4% higher than the percentage of the population share that people with red hair have. Erg my Uni course had an over representation of people with red hair. We had one person with blond hair, again, 10%. That's compared to 30-40% of the population having blond hair. That means we also had an over representation of dark haired people. By your logic, it's fact that there is an over representation of dark haired people in the area of study that I chose, therefore it appeals to dark haired people more than others.

You see how ridiculous that reads now? Then consider that not all of those on my course were UK nationals. I didn't disclose that, but why would I? If it doesn't suit my argument?

You need actual facts not mere suggestions or guestimates to base it on. And especially not statistics from a different country with a totally different culture. And preferably with some understanding of how to ready, break down and query statistics rather than pick and choose and totally make a hash of it.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Fine, if you want to believe that there isn't a higher than average proportion of gay men in performative arts and dancing, or air stewarding, that society as a whole then knock yourself out. If it doesn't bother you that it's pretty much on a par with flat earth belief in terms of its connection to reality then great!

No - I simply won't believe any anecdotal throwaway comment to be fact. Strange that you think that makes ME the one to be on a par with flat Earth beliefs... 

There may well be jobs where different types of people are attracted to it than others. More women, more men, more tall people, more dark haired people. I did a degree with 10 people in my year group. We had 1 person with red hair, that's 10% which is 4% higher than the percentage of the population share that people with red hair have. Erg my Uni course had an over representation of people with red hair. We had one person with blond hair, again, 10%. That's compared to 30-40% of the population having blond hair. That means we also had an over representation of dark haired people. By your logic, it's fact that there is an over representation of dark haired people in the area of study that I chose, therefore it appeals to dark haired people more than others.

You see how ridiculous that reads now? Then consider that not all of those on my course were UK nationals. I didn't disclose that, but why would I? If it doesn't suit my argument?

You need actual facts not mere suggestions or guestimates to base it on. And especially not statistics from a different country with a totally different culture. And preferably with some understanding of how to ready, break down and query statistics rather than pick and choose and totally make a hash of it.

42 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:
55 minutes ago, Badger said:

No - research suggests more people engage in same-sex activity than identify as gay or bisexual. In other words, they have same-sex relations but still identify as heterosexual. (Of curse this leads to the whole area of identity and sexuality/ gender which causes heated argument.)

Oh right-is that because they are in denial, or because they don’t consider certain actions to constitute proper sex, or because they don’t answer truthfully for fear of being found out?

Denial?  Found out?  Found out about what? 

The problem with this subject is that people seem to have the need to label others, or question their choices, but the truth is there are many different ways to live and there are probably not enough labels to describe every persons' particular sexual predalictions. Labels are the bane of society - the need to compartmentalise others into convenient groupings is not helpful.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The problem with this subject is that people seem to have the need to label others, or question their choices, but the truth is there are many different ways to live and there are probably not enough labels to describe every persons' particular sexual predalictions. Labels are the bane of society - the need to compartmentalise others into convenient groupings is not helpful.

Exactly, what can be used to classify can be used - inherently by definition - to divide.

58 minutes ago, chicken said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You can’t really be that naive. According to the responses to a Freedom of Information request to all the UK police forces, reported homophobic hate crimes increased by 20% in the year 2019/20.

So, like it or not, some men are in denial about their sexuality and some are afraid of being found out, because of what they think that their parents, partners, friends, work colleagues or strangers etc might think about them.

46 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

You can’t really be that naive. According to the responses to a Freedom of Information request to all the UK police forces, reported homophobic hate crimes increased by 20% in the year 2019/20.

So, like it or not, some men are in denial about their sexuality and some are afraid of being found out, because of what they think that their parents, partners, friends, work colleagues or strangers etc might think about them.

I agree there are other aspects to it, but it is a sad state of affairs if people are afraid to "come out" if that is what they really want to do.

On a lighter note, it reminds me of the film Stardust where the Captain of the flying ship acts all macho to his crew - because he feels he has to - and then is discovered wearing dresses and is distraught in the face of the possible loss of reputation. One of the crew members then pipes up "it's alright captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie" and the status quo is happily restored.