If he does go then it will be for a similar fee to Buendia. While Todd is arguably not quite up to Emi's level, he's younger and English which makes up for the difference in price. I'd happily accept selling him for £30m+ but not a lot less.

Put it this way: if Cantwell played for Bournemouth, would you accept us blowing £30m on signing him tomorrow?

If not, then it stands to reason that selling him for more than you would pay for him would be 'good business'...

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Out of interest Todd has just turned up for the fans thingy at CR tonight . Seems an odd thing to do if he’s off...

We’re you on your own ?

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Especially as the fans thingy was cancelled earlier this week too. 

You mean the one that 600 people attended tonight ? 

PS - this fans thingy. A celebration . For the fans . At CR . Tonight . 
PPS CR is Carrow Road . 

32EEBF3B-D572-4B5A-BAEC-4A49225C8A1D.jpeg

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Not 600 it was 440 as ' Er Indoors set up the two rooms for the function with some colleagues.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not 600 it was 440 as ' Er Indoors set up the two rooms for the function with some colleagues.

Can’t have done Til. Apparently it was cancelled last week according to some. 

All those people walking in ,  the full car park , and Todd strolling in wearing shades , were all a figment of my imagination apparently . 
PS I’ll take Mrs T’s word for it . I didn’t stand outside and count them all in 😂

5 hours ago, Petriix said:

If he does go then it will be for a similar fee to Buendia. While Todd is arguably not quite up to Emi's level, he's younger and English which makes up for the difference in price. I'd happily accept selling him for £30m+ but not a lot less.

Put it this way: if Cantwell played for Bournemouth, would you accept us blowing £30m on signing him tomorrow?

If not, then it stands to reason that selling him for more than you would pay for him would be 'good business'...

not the same, at all

as £30m is not the same percentage of income for each club - it is not a valid comparison 

otherwise if he feels he wants/needs to move to play elsewhere then so be it, the lad has been fully committed to the club both on and off the pitch

none of us know where any contract talks are at, other than he has a year left and we have another years option 

I wouldn't want him to leave, as I expect is the thought of most supporters - but as elsewhere stated, players will want to seek the highest level/pay possible, and we can never be that for the most obvious of reasons, so

🎶que sera sera 🎶 (as the Welsh would say)

8 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

You mean the one that 600 people attended tonight ? 

PS - this fans thingy. A celebration . For the fans . At CR . Tonight . 
PPS CR is Carrow Road . 

32EEBF3B-D572-4B5A-BAEC-4A49225C8A1D.jpeg

Apologies GBP, Its tonight's event that was cancelled, I got my days in a muddle. As I say apologies again. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This poorly written piece may provide context from a Villa perspective.

https://readastonvilla.com/2021/07/21/lukewarm-response-on-social-media-as-aston-villa-make-move-for-todd-cantwell/

Ideally, if Todd were to leave then better for us it happens now rather than the last day of the transfer window. I thing this will run a while yet unfortunately.

Up here they seem to think they are getting for 15 million.

28 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Perhaps Todd is just playing a bit of hardball around his contract…. (Let’s hope so…)

Wouldn't surprise me if the relegation release clause is the sticking point.

He's happy to stay if we're Premier League, wants a low release clause to ensure he can jump ship if we go down again.

After being messed around last summer I couldn't blame him if this is the issue, and he wants a relatively low one. 

If he's got an agent who is holding us to ransom trying to get us to give him stupid money which would damage us if relegated and break the wage structure, then I'd rather we just sold.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Up here they seem to think they are getting for 15 million.

Please no. 25 plus and I can accept. Wouldn't be surprised if it was low 20s. If at all.
And WHY HAS IT GOT TO BE VILLA!?

Todd did a most excellent job of turning on our wunnerful City's Christmas lights on a few years ago.....He probably won't get that opportunity in Birmingham.....

You can’t sell all the main players and expect whoever comes in to understand the pattern of play… or to set up with too many new players in the starting 11.   We need back up from here on in or better than what we have.   We won’t improve on Todd for the money we will spend.    Needs to stay at all costs.    

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

You can’t sell all the main players and expect whoever comes in to understand the pattern of play… or to set up with too many new players in the starting 11.   We need back up from here on in or better than what we have.   We won’t improve on Todd for the money we will spend.    Needs to stay at all costs.    

Agreed.

18 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Nothing of note.

Just reported on Sky that Villa want Liam Bailey (?) from Bayern Levrkausen at 40m.

Its a load of rumour and bullshine ... and to think I was intent upon switching my allegiences to MK Dons 😉 because Todd was supposed to be on his way to Villa Park.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I'm in the minority here, but my opinion is that Todd without Emi is half the player. Given his contract situation, I'd take £20 million for him now if it was to be reinvested. I can see our style of play changing a little this year, and Todd potentially struggling. Emi created so much space and time for Cantwell to be effective. Rashica looks to be far more direct and less likely to play short intricate football, which Todd of course likes. 

18 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes, but that didn't seem to affect his attitude on the pitch. I think you can be ambitious and do your best for your current club. Most footballers are like that, there isn't much loyalty.

Todd is one of the few players at the club prepared to stick his head above the parapet, and was arguably our best player last time in the Prem.

Agree he could be our star man and give him bigger clubs in twelve months, but he has so far refused to sign a new contract and is in last year. 

The talk is Villa almost there about £ 20 m. Don't believe everything you read and price is so poor but if he wants out it is good money.  Shame to see him go as he is almost guaranteed an every game start and unless Grealish is moving on find it hard to see how Villa can use them all.

Hope I am wrong but we don't know what is going on behind the scene. Daniel must know and he has agreed to carry.on and help our beloved Club move forward The £20 m might help us get another top striker to help Pukki

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Just reported on Sky that Villa want Liam Bailey (?) from Bayern Levrkausen at 40m.

Its a load of rumour and bullshine ... and to think I was intent upon switching my allegiences to MK Dons 😉 because Todd was supposed to be on his way to Villa Park.

Don't think I didn't notice that one .

Looking at what Todd said at the dinner, about looking forward to the new season and seeing the fans back at the Carra, i think that, although none of us ever know what goes on behind the scenes, the actual realism looks more like a local lad still not having lost his love and enthusiasm for being able to be part of playing for his boyhood club and wanting it to carry on,  rather than there being any truth in a rumour from some online media source who claim an exclusive about the situation with Todd being at an advanced stage in talks that could see him go to Villa.

As for his contract, a year still to run, City with option to extend a further year...its not like this  needs to be forcibly sorted today or tomorrow, it will be sorted as and when...as it will be the day when Todd does eventually  move on. As Bill said...que sera sera (i thought it was the Irish not the Welsh).

2 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Looking at what Todd said at the dinner, about looking forward to the new season and seeing the fans back at the Carra, i think that, although none of us ever know what goes on behind the scenes, the actual realism looks more like a local lad still not having lost his love and enthusiasm for being able to be part of playing for his boyhood club and wanting it to carry on,  rather than there being any truth in a rumour from some online media source who claim an exclusive about the situation with Todd being at an advanced stage in talks that could see him go to Villa.

As for his contract, a year still to run, City with option to extend a further year...its not like this  needs to be forcibly sorted today or tomorrow, it will be sorted as and when...as it will be the day when Todd does eventually  move on. As Bill said...que sera sera (i thought it was the Irish not the Welsh).

Doris Day......aah.....luvverly.....

3 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Smith Rowe signs on at Arsenal ... do Villa now move on to their plan B???!

😉

Bailey.

Todd is plan C.

Are we hearing anything concrete on this from anyone? I see quite a lot of articles up from yesterday but it seems they are all branching from the initial Football Insider article as opposed to anything else. 

And no sorry but I just can't get on board with the possible sale of Cantwell, as others have pointed out we are just 3 weeks until the window starts - we haven't even fully strengthened from the Buendia departure as yet!

Many of us have been talking about Cantwell being the player to step up and fill Buendia's shoes, are we really going to have revamp the whole attack and expect even more new signings to hit the ground running? I can't see it. 

And this would not be the 'point of the model', this is totally undesirable and I can't understand why Webber or Farke would want or be happy with it. Someone said 1 step back, 2 steps forward. Well this particular step back - at this point in the window - would feel like one rather large backwards stride! 

It would almost feel like a team giving up on its own points tally for games in hand instead... Yes all this money in the bank is great but at some point we are going to need some tangible results in the team - and this window at that. 

Perhaps it is a result of the contract situation? But I'm not sure getting £20-25 mil for Cantwell at this time in the window is better than say £13-15 mil in a year's time when he's only got 1 year left. With the loss of Buendia, his importance to this team has been ramped up, I think he is worth more to us for one extra season than the extra money we would get selling sooner.

We don't need the extra money right now, we need players who can hit the ground running at the start of the season and keep us in this hellish league...

So IMO should be trying our best to keep hold of him, and I trust that we are!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike w said:

Agree he could be our star man and give him bigger clubs in twelve months, but he has so far refused to sign a new contract and is in last year. 

The talk is Villa almost there about £ 20 m. Don't believe everything you read and price is so poor but if he wants out it is good money.  Shame to see him go as he is almost guaranteed an every game start and unless Grealish is moving on find it hard to see how Villa can use them all.

Hope I am wrong but we don't know what is going on behind the scene. Daniel must know and he has agreed to carry.on and help our beloved Club move forward The £20 m might help us get another top striker to help Pukki

That has to be nonsense, as Villa will not get Cantwell for £20m. Webber stated that if an offer came in for Max/Todd/Emi, it would have to be in excess of what we got for Godfrey, as we have no need and no desire to sell our talent. If Cantwell or Aarons go it would be for at least £30m+

Phew!

Much ado about nothing then ... hopefully.

I'll have to cancel my season ticket for MK Dons now.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Can’t have done Til. Apparently it was cancelled last week according to some. 

All those people walking in ,  the full car park , and Todd strolling in wearing shades , were all a figment of my imagination apparently . 
PS I’ll take Mrs T’s word for it . I didn’t stand outside and count them all in 😂

A few no shows GPB as 425 meals were served.