Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

3/4/5 at the back...all bases covered

All the hoohaa about a DM, when the answer lies within. 3 CB's with one or more of them able to step out and move forwards when the need arises and others will cover.  Sorensen fits the bill - and he has been used like that in both the friendlies so far. So a back three with wing backs that can easily transition into four at the back or even five.  No bother. 

So if we are to get another player in at the back it will need to be someone who can do both roles - CB and DM. It's an evolving team we are seeing and is a step forwards in the way we play. Skipp couldn't have played there at 5' 7" tall, but Sorensen can and has experience at the back too - and I would back him to be able to play well wherever he is played on the pitch. So 4231 worked with the players we had last time, but 352 as a basic set up looks a shoe in for many games this season.  Really liking the way it is setting up - a progression on last season and stronger overall team method.

Experts on here will say too early to tell, but to me it seems fairly obvious - the way we play is evolving - it will progress from last season in the same way it progressed last season from the season before.  352 offers the best option for the way we want to play, fluidity with players able to cover for when others move forwards and with ease of ability to transition into four or five at the back. It's a progression towards total football that could be excellent to watch and if done well, will be more effective in a Premier League, where some clubs, who may have better players on paper, won't have the necessary abilities as teams to counter or match our flow and movement of players as they interchange and move around the pitch even more than they are used to seeing us do. 

Last season was Farkeball+.  This season will be Farkeball++.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

All the hoohaa about a DM, when the answer lies within. 3 CB's with one or more of them able to step out and move forwards when the need arises and others will cover.  Sorensen fits the bill - and he has been used like that in both the friendlies so far. So a back three with wing backs that can easily transition into four at the back or even five.  No bother. 

So if we are to get another player in at the back it will need to be someone who can do both roles - CB and DM. It's an evolving team we are seeing and is a step forwards in the way we play. Skipp couldn't have played there at 5' 7" tall, but Sorensen can and has experience at the back too - and I would back him to be able to play well wherever he is played on the pitch. So 4231 worked with the players we had last time, but 352 as a basic set up looks a shoe in for many games this season.  Really liking the way it is setting up - a progression on last season and stronger overall team method.

Experts on here will say too early to tell, but to me it seems fairly obvious - the way we play is evolving - it will progress from last season in the same way it progressed last season from the season before.  352 offers the best option for the way we want to play, fluidity with players able to cover for when others move forwards and with ease of ability to transition into four or five at the back. It's a progression towards total football that could be excellent to watch and if done well, will be more effective in a Premier League, where some clubs, who may have better players on paper, won't have the necessary abilities as teams to counter or match our flow and movement of players as they interchange and move around the pitch even more than they are used to seeing us do. 

Last season was Farkeball+.  This season will be Farkeball++.

We cant go into next season with that much pressure on Sorenson to step up.  He wasnt even first choice at CB or DM in the Championship, let alone the Premier League.  

We need a solid day 1 starter, then we can continue Sorensons development and ease him in. 

• Like 3

Well, we chucked Aarons into an East Anglian derby on his full debut. Sorensen's full debut for us came five minutes before kick-off when he found out he was playing left-back when Quintilla felt something in his hip. And he played there so well (especially compared to Stiepermann when it came to makeshift left-backs) some of us were hoping he'd get game time when Giannoulis came along.

It was just difficult to get past Skipp, the way he was playing - although he did play the Preston match in defensive midfield IIRC and looked really tidy there as expected. But if Farke reckons he's ready, I'll happily trust his judgement. 

The ideal scenario is to ease them in. To be fair, considering our start, I'm inclined to say "free shots, give it all you have, lads".

Sorensen, I do not believe is good enough to play at Centre Back in the top flight. We need another Centre back of better quality than we already have and as Farke has said we are light in midfield. Still think we need a CB, DM & a striker to help Pukki.  

All the more surprising we didn't have more of a go at Ayer if that's the way we'll be shaping up. Ball playing CHs are quite rare.

I'll keep open minded on this until I see it used in anger against quality opposition. No disrespect to Kings Lynn and Lincoln triallists but we haven't been tested yet.

Also means a number of midfield players will be unhappy as Gilmour will take one of the slots either through ability or contractually. 

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorensen, I do not believe is good enough to play at Centre Back in the top flight. We need another Centre back of better quality than we already have and as Farke has said we are light in midfield. Still think we need a CB, DM & a striker to help Pukki.  

But how much is a better CB going to cost? I would rate Gibson and Hanley as being worth at least £10m each - Hanley in particular after last season and his Euro displays looks every bit the part - and we all know Gibson is excellent.  Someone who is good with the ball is a must, someone who can play CB or DM equally effectively - but not necessarily better - that would cost £15m plus. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

All the more surprising we didn't have more of a go at Ayer if that's the way we'll be shaping up. Ball playing CHs are quite rare.

You would have to presume Ajer was valued at no more than what we've got already in Hanley/Gibson and Omobamidele. We need someone else, but to get better than we have already would take £15m plus. Ajer probably not reckoned to be all that.   There will presumably be someone else brought in, we'll have to wait and see!

Agree we are shaping up with more flexibility/formation options with personnel now.

• Strong DM/CB nailed on for the XI is required. An inherent weakness is getting out muscled down the middle. Webber will still be having nightmares of us playing tettey as premier league CB too.
  • I hope we go for another wide attacking winger who can also fill in as striker and is also start XI quality. So we have flexibility to play alongside Pukki or to replace. I dont see how buying an out and out striker works. If they're decent they wont want to play 2nd choice. And no point buying bench quality players, we have them.
Edited by LondonCanary

Sorensen is certainly good enough, he’s a very good player and no reason he couldn’t be part of a back three, but better suited in a holding position behind Dowell or Lees.