He's a bit of a meme footballer / media whipping boy.

But he's also a Premier League and FA Cup winning 27-cap England international who can play centre back and defensive midfield, so can step out at any stage to switch from 3/5 to a 4 man defence, a fluidity which I presume Ajer was supposed to enable.

Obviously we can't afford to take over his £75k a week contract, but his stock is low and he's not wanted at Man Utd, so could we tempt them and him by covering a third of that in a loan? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

You want to strengthen our weak squad with Phil Jones? 🤨😀

What was your opinion on Lingard 7 months ago, and how was that opinion formed? 

Yes, I do believe that Premier League winning 27-cap England International Phil Jones is a better centre back than Christophe Zimmermann. Any other stupid questions? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

Would sooner Corporal Jones

Don't panic, don't panic!

Oh, too late I see 😀

Him and Smalling were a couple of dozy ****s and the latter is available from Roma.

Knows his way round a football pitch but not for us. Probably end up at Everton.

He's 29 years old, has been virtually thrown on the Manchester United scrap heap, has won quite a few trophies and has 27 England caps. And people on here don't rate him. If he feels he has something to prove, what better way than by playing regularly in a team that needs defensive cover.

If Messrs Webber/Farke want him and signed him, I wouldn't be upset. If they don't want him, fair enough.

• Like 3

It’s a decent shout in the Krul / Pukki mould though I’d say the wages would be an issue. He would have to take a 50kish pay cut to join a relegation battle.

Begs the question are there anymore players out there who have performed well at premier league level who have fallen on hard times who we could sign?

My concern with Jones is injuries as much as anything- that is what seemed to totally stall his career. That combined with the wages would put me off. 

If we're looking at someone from Man U I'd be keen on Tuanzebe on loan. 

48 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes, I do believe that Premier League winning 27-cap England International Phil Jones is a better centre back than Christophe Zimmermann. Any other stupid questions? 

It is a bit weird how some people seem to think 'not good enough for Man United so we shouldn't sign him!'

He's become a bit of a punchline but, when fit, he's proven himself to be a more than capable defender at Premier League level. Smalling has revived his career at Roma and Jones may do somewhere else.

• Like 1

Jones is a NW lad, he ain't coming over here anytime soon. If he wanted to play football (as opposed to pick up his wages) he will have many suitors a  lot closer than us, so he doesn't have to live out of a suitcase at his age. Plus his wages, plus, I cannot see him fitting DF's profile of a player. Apart from that..........  

Feels like a Newcastle style signing where they sign him on a 5 year deal and he's injured for four of them.

• Like 1

Not the worst suggestion ever put on this forum.

Experience.

I feel it is the kind of player John Bond would have gone for.

I was surprised that he is still under thirty, with seemingly nothing and everything to prove.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Feels like a Newcastle style signing where they sign him on a 5 year deal and he's injured for four of them.

We should be careful throwing stones when we are standing in our Byram (and previously Jarvis) shaped glass house regarding injuries!

Agree that it totally feels like a Newcastle signing though.

Prefer Tuanzebe as he looks a fair bit faster, Jones would be an improvement defensively, but might not have the pace to pull it off in a Farke team. He did look a hell of a prospect starting out, but injuries have had a right go at him.

Wouldn't be averse to giving Jones a go though if a deal was similar to what we did for Gibson where we cover some of his wages, and his international experience would be great for lads like Aarons and Cantwell.

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Didnt Phil Jones once head the ball on the floor as well?

Rather have Phil Mitchell

Edited by kirku

5 hours ago, king canary said:

It is a bit weird how some people seem to think 'not good enough for Man United so we shouldn't sign him!'

He's become a bit of a punchline but, when fit, he's proven himself to be a more than capable defender at Premier League level. Smalling has revived his career at Roma and Jones may do somewhere else.

Capello rated him very highly, compared him to Hierro.

If we signed Jones one of two things would happen:

1). We'd soon realise that he's shot to pieces, finished, on the beach.

or...

2). He'd show the quality that made him a regular under Ferguson and Capello.

Ensuring we have the right to terminate the loan in January would solve the first problem.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He hasn't played for well over a year 

Similar applied to Krul and Gibson when we signed them.

I mean yeah, its a gamble, he could be finished.

But on the flipside, if he isn't finished then he'd show his quality outside of the big 6 (like Lingaard did!)

I can’t see Jones dropping to play for us. If he wants football I’m sure there will be plenty of other clubs willing to pay more of his wages, he was never that bad of a player as people are making out.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well Tim Krul was a gamble after injury problems.

That's the potential upside when we signed these players with injury records. Jarvis is what happens when it doesn't work out.

The thing with Jones is his defending always seems a little desperate and last-ditch, suggesting he's often out of position. 

• Like 1