cambridgeshire canary

Norwich confirmed to be cashless..

Interesting. It's widely accepted that we have a rather aging fan base compared to some clubs, and the older generations are far more likely to carry cash and be suspicious of/refuse to adopt card/contactless payments. I'd imagine they'll be a bit of friction at Carrow Road about this, probably why the club is advertising it well ahead of the season starting.

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Interesting. It's widely accepted that we have a rather aging fan base compared to some clubs, and the older generations are far more likely to carry cash and be suspicious of/refuse to adopt card/contactless payments. I'd imagine they'll be a bit of friction at Carrow Road about this, probably why the club is advertising it well ahead of the season starting.

I still tend to keep lots of money on me/hidden around just in case as you never can be too certain about any errors or issues with online banking and such, and I'm under 30! (Just about..)

But don't worry, I will keep my tinfoil hat off and not talk about theorys about how goverments being keen on forcing their country to become fully cashless is all a big ploy to bring in a chinese social credit system that would allow the goverment to, via removing all cash and turning the country cashless, force anybody who is anti goverment to quickly become pro goverment when they notice that there bank account has been frozen and they can no longer use credit cards for a peroid of time and thus cannot spend any money until they start praising the goverment 😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I still tend to keep lots of money on me/hidden around just in case as you never can be too certain about any errors or issues with online banking and such, and I'm under 30! (Just about..)

But don't worry, I will keep my tinfoil hat off and not talk about theorys about how goverments being keen on forcing their country to become fully cashless is all a big ploy to bring in a chinese social credit system that would allow the goverment to, via removing all cash and turning the country cashless, force anybody who is anti goverment to quickly become pro goverment when they notice that there bank account has been frozen and they can no longer use credit cards for a peroid of time and thus cannot spend any money until they start praising the goverment 😉

I stopped carrying cash at the beginning of the pandemic, and only get some out when going to the barbers as they don't accept card for some reason that I don't particular wish to know!

It has improved re. cashless / contactless payments. A pet irritant of mine was that they weren't always shown instantly on your account, but at least I find with my current bank (Halifax) they show your balance online as the pending amount, so transactions made in such a manner may not have left the account yet, but you can see your balance afterwards.

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That's a bit insulting to older generationss. I'd be surprised if there were many older people who don't have a card they can use. Only people not likely to have them could be of any age and are people who either don't have the wherewithal to get bank accounts and/or credit cards.

The good old days when you reel off a round of drinks and the barman/maid instantly knows the cost and snatches the dosh out of your greasy mits. Now it's key in every drink to a till and then walk back to the counter collect money, return to till, return to customer with change. 

Cashless is so much more efficient.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

That's a bit insulting to older generationss. I'd be surprised if there were many older people who don't have a card they can use. Only people not likely to have them could be of any age and are people who either don't have the wherewithal to get bank accounts and/or credit cards.

Wasn't intending to be insulting Lakey, but if you look at adoption rates and payment types it's very much the older generation that rely on cash, that refuse to stop using cheques etc. I would imagine that most of them will indeed have a debit or credit card they can use to pay inside the ground should they want anything, but I can also foresee some that will not, or will insist on trying to use cash for the first couple of games until they get the memo.

Does that mean we cannot ask "How much did Watling wallet" its more "How much did Watling electonically transfer" 

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I stopped carrying cash at the beginning of the pandemic, and only get some out when going to the barbers as they don't accept card for some reason that I don't particular wish to know!

A lot of independent takeaways are cash only.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not insulting at all, I believe it is actually a fact. 

Quick search on Google shows a survey result from 2021 where 1 in 5  people aged over 65 still mostly use cash for all their day to day activities and over 50% used cash in the last week. This study is post pandemic as well. Although without reading the whole thing I don't see the corresponding numbers for younger people but it's pretty safe to assume it's lower imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Wasn't intending to be insulting Lakey, but if you look at adoption rates and payment types it's very much the older generation that rely on cash, that refuse to stop using cheques etc. I would imagine that most of them will indeed have a debit or credit card they can use to pay inside the ground should they want anything, but I can also foresee some that will not, or will insist on trying to use cash for the first couple of games until they get the memo.

It's practically impossible to do stuff with just cash these days, unless Norwich is different to the rest pf te country.  If anyone, old or young hasn't got used to that yet, they never will.  Only those who are completely unable to get bank accounts/cards for whatever reason will be affected - and few, if any, of those will be at the football, given the expense involved.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's practically impossible to do stuff with just cash these days, unless Norwich is different to the rest pf te country.  If anyone, old or young hasn't got used to that yet, they never will.  Only those who are completely unable to get bank accounts/cards for whatever reason will be affected - and few, if any, of those will be at the football, given the expense involved.

Its not about getting the cards / accounts Lakey, its about knowing, and having the confidence to use them. 

Ive been supporting my father (nearly 80) during the pandemic, and having got him to use contactless on the occasions it asks for his pin number he is totally flumoxed, and the pressure increases with each failed (max of 3) attempt. and he then uses another card. 

And that's is only at the shops - imagine the pressure he (and others in the same situation) would feel at the football when in this predicament? It should be card / contactless are strongly encouraged, but not exclusive. 

As ive said before, imagine the carnage when the system goes offline, and they cannot make ANY sales. (as happened when I was at an olympic event at Wembley) 

You last sentence is a little tasteless and judgmental in my opinion too.   

• Like 2

Most of my transactions (99%) are cashless but 100% against a totally cashless society. Up to 4 million in this Country have no bank accounts, why should they be excluded? Secondly, if we become a cashless society you will see your money decrease in value as banks increase charges and dictate how you can access your cash. Just because it's convenient doesn't make it right or advisable.

• Like 3

I completely agree Kenny. This is actually a hugely important topic about who has control of one of, if not the most, important tools for living our lives. 

Do we want to cede control of money to global corporations, MasterCard, Visa and the rest? Shouldn’t the elected governments be in control? 

And the impact of cash being less and less usable falls massively disproportionately on the poorest members of society, who just happen to be those least able to speak up for themselves.

https://campaigns.which.co.uk/freedom-to-pay/

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

I was speaking to the owner of a local newsagents a couple of weeks ago.

He used to pay £30 a month for his contactless machine - a % of the transaction. 

Now its £300 a month, but he has no more income / sales to cover it, just the increase in people using their cards 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

He used to pay £30 a month for his contactless machine - a % of the transaction. 

Now its £300 a month, but he has no more income / sales to cover it, just the increase in people using their cards 

There are more card payment providers than ever offering fantastic competition if you shop around. Even buskers are taking card payment these days thanks to providers like Sumup and Zettle etc. It is widely known that cash is the single most expensive method of accepting payment for a business because of the banking costs and the strange tendency for cash to go missing.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

There are more card payment providers than ever offering fantastic competition if you shop around. Even buskers are taking card payment these days thanks to providers like Sumup and Zettle etc. It is widely known that cash is the single most expensive method of accepting payment for a business because of the banking costs and the strange tendency for cash to go missing.

I think that is why the authorities want it all to be online / trackable. Its why they have 'made tax digital' the last couple of years. 

The newsagent also said  that he used to take the cash to the cash and carry to purchase supplies, obviously that is potentially limited now too.  

🤣🤣🤣RIP the refreshment workers

Bernie from Kings Lynn has been coming for 40 years and he only pays in 5p’s

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Not disputing what you have posted but my local walking football club has a card machine to take our weekly subscription. I am sure they wouldn't have one if it was costing so much.

4 hours ago, lappinitup said:

I've been cashless for years.....

I came into this world with nothing, and I've still got most of it left. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not disputing what you have posted but my local walking football club has a card machine to take our weekly subscription. I am sure they wouldn't have one if it was costing so much.

Im, sure there are cheaper ways, I was under the impression its still a % of the transaction. 

Im sure, due to the pandemic, there have been smaller / cheaper organisations offering facilities for smaller organizations. They can also link them to phones / bank account, but not sure 'proper / established' businesses can use these. 

Plus I would think if it's walking football, no one is going to leg it with the cash! Sorry KGD, couldn't resist. 

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

I came into this world with nothing, and I've still got most of it left. 

Born free, now I'm expensive.

There is no middle man with cash.

Cards charge a % on transactions so at the end of the day the consumer pays more. It filters through.

I cannot remember the last time I paid cash .... its a convenient system but costs, one way or the other.

I have never been fond of the contactless payment system despite using it now.

It means that if you drop your card without realising it some crook can pick it up and start spending (with limits.) 

Punching four digits into a machine and then press green was never that much trouble.

Cashless society benefits tax man and governments and elites not the little man on the street, many of whom rely on poorly paid cash in hand jobs to survive. Should be resisted 

• Like 1