Sign in to follow this  
hps2031a

We still need a spine

Not panicking yet, but we still need a spine.

CB, a player of note that should be given full consideration to start, not a bench warmer just in case.

CDM, a worker, strong, authoritative  someone who can win and give to Gilmour.

Striker, someone who can command a starting place, we will need one, not potential in a couple of years, can hit the ground running.

Not asking for much, just based on previous, premier league adventure it was our weak point.

I do think we are 3 good signings away from giving it a really good go this year.

CDM is absolutely key for me. I would also invest heavily on a Forward and Attacking Midfielder.

I think we are ok in the CB position, loan option possibly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And then a heart and a brain? Heard it's just down the yellow brick road

image.thumb.png.41845bac0bee9668e7d830748a449beb.png

• Haha 1

I actually think we're alright in terms of the core of the team. What we are lacking is depth of attacking options. Pukki, Rashica, Dowell and Cantwell are great first choices, but the backup or bench players are not up to the same standard.

Same with the rest of the team really, with the exception of goalkeeper and probably right back. Central midfield has Gilmour, McLean, Rupp, Sorensen and Lees-Melou so arguably pretty well stocked but lacking a real quality CDM. Central defence is borderline ok, but one decent signing would be ideal.

23 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I actually think we're alright in terms of the core of the team. What we are lacking is depth of attacking options. Pukki, Rashica, Dowell and Cantwell are great first choices, but the backup or bench players are not up to the same standard.

Same with the rest of the team really, with the exception of goalkeeper and probably right back. Central midfield has Gilmour, McLean, Rupp, Sorensen and Lees-Melou so arguably pretty well stocked but lacking a real quality CDM. Central defence is borderline ok, but one decent signing would be ideal.

You do get the feeling that if we end up going through another inury crisis with a lot of first team players going out for long peroids of time that it would put our seasons hopes of staying up in serious doubts, given our bench is a lot of youth players and aging players who as proved last time out in the Prem just are not good enough

But it's always the same old problem- It's very hard to bring in top, quality proven players for little money who are happy to sit on the bench for a team tha'ts pegged to go straight down by all the pundits.

• Like 1

In terms of comments most I agree, some I don’t.

The only difference to the CB is the addition of Gibson, now when at Burnley for whatever reason didn’t make the grade, and added to what was already here it didn’t cut it, Ajer didn’t come to nothing, Adarabioyo from Fulham, would be a good shout at the right money, and a years experience of the PL,  the same with strikers, OK Idah is a couple years older, but didn’t pull up any trees last year, Hugill assuming he’s off, would make me think we are after another, that leaves Pukki, OK for part of the season he did well, but no one pushing in behind him, in case he doesn’t, or even him pushing to get a start himself, Armstrong from Blackburn would be a good shout, pace and scores goals, and I think we all agree CDM is a must.

Yes agree it’s difficult, and no way disappointed with what we’ve done so far, but we need a solid spine, better than what we have, then we have a real good chance, OK if we get injuries to key players, then we are stuffed, but most around us will be in the same boat.

6 minutes ago, hps2031a said:

In terms of comments most I agree, some I don’t.

The only difference to the CB is the addition of Gibson, now when at Burnley for whatever reason didn’t make the grade, and added to what was already here it didn’t cut it, Ajer didn’t come to nothing, Adarabioyo from Fulham, would be a good shout at the right money, and a years experience of the PL,  the same with strikers, OK Idah is a couple years older, but didn’t pull up any trees last year, Hugill assuming he’s off, would make me think we are after another, that leaves Pukki, OK for part of the season he did well, but no one pushing in behind him, in case he doesn’t, or even him pushing to get a start himself, Armstrong from Blackburn would be a good shout, pace and scores goals, and I think we all agree CDM is a must.

Yes agree it’s difficult, and no way disappointed with what we’ve done so far, but we need a solid spine, better than what we have, then we have a real good chance, OK if we get injuries to key players, then we are stuffed, but most around us will be in the same boat.

Binner 

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You do get the feeling that if we end up going through another inury crisis with a lot of first team players going out for long peroids of time that it would put our seasons hopes of staying up in serious doubts, given our bench is a lot of youth players and aging players who as proved last time out in the Prem just are not good enough

But it's always the same old problem- It's very hard to bring in top, quality proven players for little money who are happy to sit on the bench for a team tha'ts pegged to go straight down by all the pundits.

It's extremely unlikely that we will face another crisis to match the ludicrous and unprecedented situation we faced last time with so many defenders out injured at the same time, coupled with Pukki's broken toe. But we do need better options to influence games and give us some tactical flexibility when required.

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shaking my head this is Delias fault probably, stonking rich foreign owners in when?

Agree. tinpot club no ambition still on zero.