Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

HULL - Lets start the WHITE HANKY uprising!!

This could be a VERY useful form of VISIBLE protest.

Ken Brown was sacked after fans waved white hankies in a show of mock surrender at an away match v Charlton in 1987, Chase sacked him days later. Now is not the time to debate the merits of that decision by Chase or whether it would have happened anyway but he certainly played ''the fans have lost confidence'' argument to back his decision.

A WHITE HANKY protest is EASY:

1. Cheap - no posters or banners to make up

2. Everyone can join in

3. It''s fun

4. With banners there is always the chance of annoying others who will try and pull them down. No-one can stop anyone waving a white hanky!!

When do we do it? First about 5 mins before kick off and really raise the roof with Worthy Out. Then we get behind the team as usual when the match is on but if we get a bad spell of action and a goal behind etc. then a loud chorus or two of Worthy out + waving the hankies will get the mesage across. Finally repeat, big style at the end!    

It must be worth a try, at the moment everyone (apart from the 150) yesterday are just talking  a good game. I will be there Saturday with plenty of white hankies (clean ones at that!).

Contact me by email if you are keen to join.

(PS - I believe this style of protest has been used abroad so lets make it happen!)

A great idea, YR [I] - simple, powerful and unequivocal.  No-one could be in any doubt what it''s all about. 

But why not save it until the following Tueday against Brighton, when the impact will be 10 times greater - unless you want a practice run at Hull, first?  [8-)]

well remembered form of protest yellow rider, sounds like it could certainly make a point.according to squit''s post, it reckons wynn jones believes the worthy outers number a few fanatics stirring up trouble on message boards. a visible demo would show otherwise.  i''ll be waving mine at the radio and on valentines day - yeah but thats another story!

Yes, I think many of us are interested YR, and I hate to think how the city''s department stores might cope with a run on their hanky resources!! 

Primark, here I come  [:D]

Seriously, a great idea and if we can get this organised, then it will make an impact.  If the board think that the Worthy Out feelings are restricted to a few messsageboard users, then they are in for a nasty shock. 

No - because of the effect on the players, ours and the opposition. If we go a goal down (which we''ve done a few times this season, and fought back), how is waving a white flag going to help anyone? If you''re against the manager, if you believe he''s the reason for everything from the state of the toilets to global warming, target your protests at him. At least wait till after the game.

I believe any protest should be after the final whistle! How are chants of worthy out prior to or during a game going to help the players pick up points??? I''ll be in the middle of the protest after the Brighton game!!

"I believe any protest should be after the final whistle! How are chants of worthy out prior to or during a game going to help the players pick up points??? I''ll be in the middle of the protest after the Brighton game!!"

who cares - the season is over..... the best we can hope for is finishing above the scum and luton, even that seems far off at the moment......

I agree with the protest and am going to Hull. I thinking of taking a serviette - hope thats ok :)

I think it would be outrageous to make a point until the end of the game though. Come the final whistle - let''s give it to him big style......

I disagree - if its after the game then people may be less inclined to protest if we have won. Before the game will be much more effective.

surely the whole point of the protest is to let the directors know of the fans discontent.  waving the hankies when they first take their seats will be much more effective than after.  besides, many fans may want to get away promptly or 5 mins+ before the game ends - especially if we''ve been stuffed again. 

A few years ago Reading fans organised "Pants Day" when even though John Madejski was throwing money at the then 2nd Division team they were  in the bottom half of the league. Every one turned up with an extra pair of underwear (mostly clean) and waved them around to show their displeasure at the teams performance (even the Chairman joined in) - The new manager Alan Pardew described it as "unhelpful" considering he had just taken over as caretaker manager.

Be a bit careful, these could be precious points to help stave off relegation. The season is far from over in that respect - we certainly are not safe yet!

Sounds like a good plan - obvious, everyone can join in and in a peaceful spirit. There''s nothing to lose by trying it. I think we should try it at every game until something is done - the more we try it the more people will join in I guess!!

count me in for the home game against brighton, superb idea............How do you get the message out to people who do not use internet message boards, this is where the problem lies.

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]I don''t have a table cloth. Too sophisticated for me. Will a white duvet cover do?[/quote]we''ve seen red nose day for comic relief, how about a yellow nose day to protest?  complete with green wigs the obvious clown references shouldn''t be lost on the city board!

I disagree with all of you.

The Board, the Management, the players, all know that they''ve underachieved this season (Sunday in particular).

But if the team has any chance of picking up confidence, then a good away performance, with the support of die-hard fans, will certainly lift the team.

I know this season is over as far as the play-offs are concerned, but relegation is still a possibility.

The players need us more than ever now, let''s not let them down.[:#]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I disagree - if its after the game then people may be less inclined to protest if we have won. Before the game will be much more effective.[/quote]

also, the board will know that we are not just doing this on the back of a loss if we lose. However it would be even more effective if we win and still do it!

Brilliant and almost poetic [:)]

I think may be more effective at a home game, but whenever you do it someone wave a hanky for me!

i disagree for 1 reason, what good is it going to have on the players.

if there is going to be any protest it should be after the game it will do the players no good hearing "worthy out" or every fan holding up a white hanky it will just make them play even worst then what we already are

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]I don''t have a table cloth. Too sophisticated for me. Will a white duvet cover do?[/quote]

how about a whole carpet, our board will still probably ignore the whole affair

[quote user="woody"]

i disagree for 1 reason, what good is it going to have on the players.

if there is going to be any protest it should be after the game it will do the players no good hearing "worthy out" or every fan holding up a white hanky it will just make them play even worst then what we already are

[/quote]

I am not sure it is possible for them to play any worse than what they subjected us too sunday morning...

[quote user="Canary Royal"]A few years ago Reading fans organised "Pants Day" when even though John Madejski was throwing money at the then 2nd Division team they were  in the bottom half of the league. Every one turned up with an extra pair of underwear (mostly clean) and waved them around to show their displeasure at the teams performance (even the Chairman joined in) - The new manager Alan Pardew described it as "unhelpful" considering he had just taken over as caretaker manager.[/quote]

We would have to Sh*t in our pants to resemble anything like we have been playing this season.