Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Our pre season, season and team one decade ago

Thought this might make for a fun little comparison. After all, it was a season that we were getting ready to play in the Prem after promotion, and to be honest while I sort of remember the crazy matches during the friendlies the main season itself is rather a blur nowdays (well,Lambert was our manager at the time..) but without further ado

Our first pre season match was against Gorleston on the 16th July, which we just about managed to scrape a 7-0 win against them.

nodge.png

We would follow this up with a 8-0 win against SC Göttingen, an 11-0 win against FSV Wacker, followed with an away 1-0 loss to Crystal Palace, then a 0-0 draw against Southend, 3-0 against Coventry, a 1-1 draw against Real Zaragoza and at last ended the pre season friendlies with a 3-0 win against Parma.

By the end of the season our top goalscorer (all comps) was of course Holt with 17 goals to his name and we ended the new Prem season with a very impressive 12th place finish. Fair to say I would take that place by the end of our upcoming season that's for sure.

Our biggest loss that season was a 6-1 away thrashing at the hands of Man City, while our biggest win was 4-2 home win over Newcastle. And as for our team..

team.png

Such a beautiful season.  I remember going to Stamford Bridge early in the season with no expectation other than a day out and seeing a team that played to its strengths and had belief in itself.  They lost but that fighting spirit was in evidence that would give them enough to survive.

As a direct comparison, who was better?

You'd have to say our current squad, player for player is superior.

We have to see whether they make a better team

• Like 1

You have to bear in mind the division was much weaker back then with several basket case clubs who were on life support as PL teams. Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, QPR, Sunderland, Villa and Wigan were all absolutely abysmal at the time, mid table Championship by todays standard. 

I think if you stuck our current team in the 2011-2012 PL season we'd finish in or near Europe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You have to bear in mind the division was much weaker back then with several basket case clubs who were on life support as PL teams. Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, QPR, Sunderland, Villa and Wigan were all absolutely abysmal at the time, mid table Championship by todays standard. 

I think if you stuck our current team in the 2011-2012 PL season we'd finish in or near Europe. 

Much as I do understand that and all, and yes looking back a lot of the teams in the divison at the time where weaker than the teams in the Prem right now.. 47 points is not a bad total regardless. One season after this one that would you net you 9th place, and the season after that 10th.. And if you gained 47 points in the last prem season/20-21 Prem season that would be enough for 12th. Only a few places difference in all

table.png