Sign in to follow this  
mannings bandy legs

Mannings Bandy Legs

8 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Ben White to Arsenal for 50 Mill. Beggars the question did we let Godfrey go to cheap?!!!!!!🔰🔰

Ben White has been capped by England and currently plays for a Premier League side.

Ben Godfrey was nowhere near the England squad when we sold him and was playing for a Championship club.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Ben White has been capped by England and currently plays for a Premier League side.

Ben Godfrey was nowhere near the England squad when we sold him and was playing for a Championship club.

Also we were facing a season of behind closed doors football with an unvaccinated population so gate receipts had to pretty much be written off for last season.

And they are overpaying at £50m IMO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Also we were facing a season of behind closed doors football with an unvaccinated population so gate receipts had to pretty much be written off for last season.

And they are overpaying at £50m IMO.

Funny how people ignore this.. Question should really 'Why is this Champioship player who's never played for England and who's only top flight experence resulted in religation worth much less than a player who's played for Englnd, has a lot of hype behind him via all the top pundits, and has done fantastic at a top side in the Prem and helped them stay in the divison?'

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I think we do undervalue our players but unfortunately when the club is self sustaining it has to sell players and in doing so clubs know that  they can buy them for less than their true value, espicially their long term value. I think this is clear with both buendia and Godfrey and to the same extent Maddison, but then we also did very well IMO with the sales of Lewis and the Murphy brothers. 

This Ben White transfer though blows my mind, arsenal couldn't afford the Buendia fee upfront but will pay 50m for a standard English defender. Beggers believe. But that club is in a huge free fall.

53 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I think we do undervalue our players but unfortunately when the club is self sustaining it has to sell players and in doing so clubs know that  they can buy them for less than their true value, espicially their long term value. I think this is clear with both buendia and Godfrey and to the same extent Maddison, but then we also did very well IMO with the sales of Lewis and the Murphy brothers. 

This Ben White transfer though blows my mind, arsenal couldn't afford the Buendia fee upfront but will pay 50m for a standard English defender. Beggers believe. But that club is in a huge free fall.

I’ve recently discovered that some posts/posters work much better if you read them in your head using the sort of young kids’ voices they have dubbed over adults in the Haribo adverts.

This is one of them.

• Haha 1

I am sure i read on here that Arsenal could not cough up £40million for Buendia because they were skint.

Edited by TIL 1010

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I’ve recently discovered that some posts/posters work much better if you read them in your head using the sort of young kids’ voices they have dubbed over adults in the Haribo adverts.

This is one of them.

I appreciate this, its great to know you disagree with me, suspect most other posters hope for the same! 

3 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Ben White to Arsenal for 50 Mill. Beggars the question did we let Godfrey go to cheap?!!!!!!🔰🔰

Surely the fact that they are willing to pay £50 million* for White and not pay £40 million for Buendia is evidence enough for the premium that clubs put on players with successful Premier league experience - our players don't have that yet.

(*he says with suspicion - I wonder what's included in that)

32 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I am sure i read on here that Arsenal could not cough up £40million for Buendia because he were skint.

You certainly did read that. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I am sure i read on here that Arsenal could not cough up £40million for Buendia because he were skint.

I imagine that they did not cough up £40 million because they did not think he was worth it! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

I imagine that they did not cough up £40 million because they did not think he was worth it! 

I don't think that's the case. I follow arsenal quite closely and the big issue is with their transfer offer was a lack of money upfront. I suspect with White it's similar to their deal for Pepe, with the vast majority of the payment spread over 2 to 3 years. 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

And/or that they didn’t need a player with his particular set of skills.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

And/or that they didn’t need a player with his particular set of skills.

Possibly. I was referring to the suggestion that Arsenal were supposed to be interested in him. 

It has been alleged that we don't play "hardball" with our sales and that we should have got more than we did for Buendia. 

I was trying to suggest, that nobody else, including Arsenal, who were supposedly interested, were willing to pay a higher price. Thus the allegation of a "cheap sale" seem difficult to substantiate as they seem to be willing to pay £50m for White: they just seem to value him more highly.

6 hours ago, priceyrice said:

I don't think that's the case. I follow arsenal quite closely and the big issue is with their transfer offer was a lack of money upfront. I suspect with White it's similar to their deal for Pepe, with the vast majority of the payment spread over 2 to 3 years. 

I don't know enough about the structure of any particular deal to comment. My understanding is that deferred payment is quite normal.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I don't know enough about the structure of any particular deal to comment. My understanding is that deferred payment is quite normal.

Yes, I believe you're right but from what I have heard/read the main difference between arsenal and villa's bids were the structure of the deal. All rumours of course but I imagine that for a self sustainable club, receiving the vast majority of the payment upfront is vital for a club like ours so it does make sense. 

8 hours ago, priceyrice said:

Yes, I believe you're right but from what I have heard/read the main difference between arsenal and villa's bids were the structure of the deal. All rumours of course but I imagine that for a self sustainable club, receiving the vast majority of the payment upfront is vital for a club like ours so it does make sense. 

Obviously I don't know the structure of any particular deal. 

I disagree with you about it being vital for a self-sustaining club to get the money up front. It is more likely to work the other way as we have to be disciplined in our finances and therefore don't carry the burden of risk that debt-financed clubs have. Several premier clubs have multi million pound interest payments to meet, but have taken a big cash flow hit from Covid - they are the ones that need payment upfront.

8 hours ago, priceyrice said:

If I'm not mistaken, don't most clubs effectively sell the instalments on a transfer to a bank (for a tiny fraction less than the full cost) in order to get the full fee up front?

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If I'm not mistaken, don't most clubs effectively sell the instalments on a transfer to a bank (for a tiny fraction less than the full cost) in order to get the full fee up front?

They can do, but I don't know how frequent it is.

The whole conversation over transfer fees is so simplistic - we hear figures of 35 million or £40 million and automatically feel that the former is better than the latter, but £35 million now is better than £40 million over 3 years taking transfer fee inflation/ cash flow/ interest etc into account.

This is before we even consider the cost of agent fees, club and player bonuses etc