Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Home grown rule

We have to have eight players who qualify as home grown, and are 21 and over. At the moment, we have nine -

Aarons, Byram, Gunn, Cantwell, Dowell, Gibson. Krul, Hanley and Hugill

Neither Mumba or Gilmour are 21 so would not qualify on age. Gilmour however, has been with Chelsea long enough to be deemed home grown.

So we just enough home grown players, assuming Aarons and Cantwell are not both sold and the club cannot get rid of Hugill.

I suspect there will be another PL loanee, as the club are aware that home grown players do not offer the same value for money foreign players do.

I make it 20 senior players plus Mumba, Gilmour, Idah and Omobamidele.

So will Sinani, Sitti or Bushiri step up to the squad this season. Oxborough ?

(edited as info from KC)

Edited by Bill

Just now, king canary said:

Hanley counts as home grown, as does Krul.

mea culpa

😳

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Indeed, Scotland counts and Krul has been here long enough for his accent to have a Geordie twang to it

Scotland does not count

However, Tim Krul was a Newcastle player before he turned 18, and Grant Hanley joined Blackburn when he was 16.

Both of which KC knew

Just now, RobNewman'sblisteringpace said:

Sam Byram must be home grown?

yes, that's why he is in the list

in bold

There is no minimum requirement for homegrown players - but cannot register more than 17 non-homegrown players.

In theory a club could have zero homegrown players in their squad but would only be able to register 17 players. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We don't have to name 8 homegrown players but if we name less than 8, our 25 man squad is reduced accordingly-i.e. if we only name 6, then our maximum squad size would be 23. Under 21 players do not count in the 25.

28 minutes ago, Bill said:

We have to have eight players who qualify as home grown, and are 21 and over. At the moment, we have nine -

Aarons, Byram, Gunn, Cantwell, Dowell, Gibson. Krul, Hanley and Hugill

Neither Mumba or Gilmour are 21 so would not qualify on age. Gilmour however, has been with Chelsea long enough to be deemed home grown.

So we just enough home grown players, assuming Aarons and Cantwell are not both sold and the club cannot get rid of Hugill.

I suspect there will be another PL loanee, as the club are aware that home grown players do not offer the same value for money foreign players do.

I make it 20 senior players plus Mumba, Gilmour, Idah and Omobamidele.

So will Sinani, Sitti or Bushiri step up to the squad this season. Oxborough ?

(edited as info from KC)

Aarons qualifies as a under 21 player.  "For the 2021/22 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2000" Max was born 4th Jan 2000.

I didn't realise you can't name an under 21 player in your 25 man squad to add to your home grown number. Do I have the wrong end of the stick here?

2 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Aarons qualifies as a under 21 player.  "For the 2021/22 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2000" Max was born 4th Jan 2000.

I didn't realise you can't name an under 21 player in your 25 man squad to add to your home grown number. Do I have the wrong end of the stick here?

As has been stated, it really doesn't matter if the homegrown quota is met or not. It's basically just a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players.

I think Louie Thompson counts as home grown although I'm not sure and tbh he has no chance of playing a part for us.

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As has been stated, it really doesn't matter if the homegrown quota is met or not. It's basically just a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players.

Course it matters it's whether you're worse off trying to negate it by having the players or worse off ignoring it and getting caught out by that limit in future transfer windows. I know a home grown player can be picked cheap if needed in a pinch, but it's better to have ones have a use.

The premier league website has all of the rules you need to know:
image.png.00e79967b05c8d8a242ea06a53ffa27a.png

So a homegrown players does NOT have to be over 21. They just have to have registered for at least three entire seasons before their 21st birthday.

From the squad assessment thread I started:
image.png.f6e9fe810e6be14f97897d010a8a7bbb.png

On closer inspection and looking up stats, I think Idah now qualifies and so does Gilmour. So we have:
Krul, Gunn, Hanley, Gibson, Aarons, Byram, Dowell, Cantwell and Hugill who all qualify as homegrown and likely to be in the Premier League squad. That's 9 players over 21.

Then, there are those we don't have to name due to being U21: Mumba, Gilmour and Idah.

Where I was wrong - Omobamidele. Only signed for us in 2019 so has not been hear long enough, though by the end of next season he will be 20 and have been at the club for 3 entire seasons so will count as homegrown.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit.

Edited by chicken

First Bill post in god knows how long and the same shocking inaccuracies continue.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

First Bill post in god knows how long and the same shocking inaccuracies continue.

Blimey Hoggy - thats another one we agree one! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Course it matters it's whether you're worse off trying to negate it by having the players or worse off ignoring it and getting caught out by that limit in future transfer windows. I know a home grown player can be picked cheap if needed in a pinch, but it's better to have ones have a use.

Of course it matters with regards to squad building, but you don't have to name eight in a squad; that's my point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Of course it matters with regards to squad building, but you don't have to name eight in a squad; that's my point.

I mean it doesn't really matter as we will have 8 players no matter what as it is very unlikely that we will lose enough of our homegrown players that HAVE to be named to bring us into that situation.

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

I mean it doesn't really matter as we will have 8 players no matter what as it is very unlikely that we will lose enough of our homegrown players that HAVE to be named to bring us into that situation.

Exactly. A lot of people are being too hung up on the homegrown thing, as I can't envisage a situation in which we'll go over 17 non-homegrowns.

It's something you have to keep an eye on though whether you think it matters or not. It puts a limitation on who you can sign should it come to it. I'm not to bothered about it, but understand you need them or a ton of u21 players.

48 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The yard of tripe 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If you can't name eight homegrown players in the squad then you can leave spaces, so in practice the rule operates as 'a maximum of 25 over-21 players, and a maximum of 17 non-homegrown'.

This, amazes me how many people still don't know this. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But you wouldn't want to go into the season with less than 25.

19 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

It's something you have to keep an eye on though whether you think it matters or not. It puts a limitation on who you can sign should it come to it. I'm not to bothered about it, but understand you need them or a ton of u21 players.

No need to keep an eye on it at all. We have more than enough players that qualify right now. If we sell one or two of them, we'll just have to name one or two of the youngsters we'll intend to use anyway like Aarons and Gilmour. 

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

No need to keep an eye on it at all. We have more than enough players that qualify right now. If we sell one or two of them, we'll just have to name one or two of the youngsters we'll intend to use anyway like Aarons and Gilmour. 

That's something from this thread that has confused me. The U21 players. Can they be named in the squad as homegrowns then which is what I thought before I read this thread?

And what we have now(outside of what I just asked) has not come from no need to keep an eye on it rather than over time making sure we have good homegrown players that are key squad players so that most of the time it does instead need not much thought.

34 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Short attention span-the rule is totally different in the Championship so this only applies to us in alternate seasons 🤣

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Let alone start a thread  pontificating incorrectly about said rule . Maybe he'll  sod off soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Let alone start a thread  pontificating incorrectly about said rule . Maybe he'll  sod off soon.

Lets hope so. I think that's one thing the board can unite on.