4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Obviously we don’t know the targets - but it is pretty obvious this was our main one- and the lack of activity once it fell through adds to the sense we lost out and don’t much fancy the others 

If we "don’t much fancy the others" why would we target them?

You make no sense.

• Like 2

It should be -

Monday we bid for player.

Tuesday - bid rejected. Oh well

Wednesday - initial player forgotten and we announce a different signing - who was waiting in the wings all along, just in case the first one didnt come off! 

Got it!   

21 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Obviously we don’t know the targets - but it is pretty obvious this was our main one- and the lack of activity once it fell through adds to the sense we lost out and don’t much fancy the others 

Really, I mean, we put in one bid back in May. It’s now mid July. We’ve signed 4 players since then. Doesn’t strike me as the one we were pulling up trees for.

24 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

What's pretty obvious  to you is scraping the  barrel of negatives for normal people.  Is your day spoiled if you can't find something to  whine about.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because you don’t make £10 million offers for your third target without any bid made for any other players? 

But it's entirely conceivable we did make bids for any players, that you don't know about. Just like you didn't know about Rashica. 

The obvious reason we know about Ajer is because Celtic want the publicity to bump up the price, knowing he's only got a year left on his contract. Just because it's public doesn't make him our number one target, it just emphasises Celtic's position. 

It's like some fans have never encountered a transfer window before. 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

how do you know we havent bid for any other players? 

You don't just ring up and say 'if like player XYZ for £XXX' and they say yes or no. 

back-ground work and dare i say due diligence is done long before a bid is placed. 

We don't agree on a great deal but this is exactly it.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We don't agree on a great deal but this is exactly it.

Thats twice in about a week hoggy! 

Edited by Greavsy

Just now, Greavsy said:

Thats twice in a about week hoggy! 

Records are there to be broken I guess! 😉

Not always a bad thing to miss out on the first target - Skipp wasn't Norwich first choice, but they only went for him after getting knocked back for Ampadu. 

While there are a lot of benefits to getting work done early in the window, there are also opportunities for players that will only become available towards the back end of the window. A lot of clubs are desperate for cash, and prices will start to come down pretty quickly in this window as it draws to a close. Lot to be said for Norwich taking a breath and seeing what happens over the next few weeks. Especially at centre back position where any newcomer probably wouldn't get ahead of Gibson and Hanley initially.

Getting Rashica, Gilmour, and Lees-Melou in so quickly is great news as they should get most of the pre-season to gel into the team, especially as it's our midfield and attack. Getting those three in for the start of pre-season is good going. There's room for a couple more additions, but the main thing is, the team is pretty well set by the time the season kicks off.

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

One bid in late May (now mid July) doesn't seem to suggest that he was obviously our main one does it - think the media just been spinning the plate for a month +

I think everyone will admit that we don’t know what the new signings will be like and we have to give them 10 games or so the show us. 

The OP is concerned as many are that we don’t simple follow the same path as the last Premiership campaign and he is right we have lost our 2 best players. I for one was very disappointed we sold Emi after promotion and still feel it is poor business and weakness. However he was never destined to be with us forever and Skipp wasn’t even out player.

Are we failing to compete with rivals when it comes to signings. Possibly. Is Ajer worth more than £10m possibly not. Scottish football isn’t exactly at a high level.

can we stay up? I doubt it, are we going to sign players who give us a chance. Who knows. 

Truth is you can be as negative or as positive as you like but we don’t know. With that in mind though we do only have form to base a judgement on. So whilst many have slatted the OP it does only point out the form whereas those who wholeheartedly and some quite aggressively disagree have no factual basis for there counter argument.

We shall wait and see! 

49 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because you don’t make £10 million offers for your third target without any bid made for any other players? 

That's not how it works. Webber and Farke have even explained how they work. They don't have a single player that they simply must have. They draw up lists of players and work on multiples.

As has been said, we bid in May, since then it was confirmed it was a take it or leave it offer. They'll have other targets that they have identified that are just as viable before and be on the same list. They may have even had bids accepted or rejected for others too. It's clear this one is as much agent instigated as anything else.

It really isn't rocket science - people refer to this as "silly season" for a reason. 

8 hours ago, Branston said:

Being a relative newcomer to these pages I really am struggling to believe the level of negativity in some of the posts . Following a fantastic promotion season we have lost one key player . The new recruits look to have real potential . The two loan to full transfers have run smoothly - both quality players . 

By the way did somebody close the transfer deadline when I wasn't looking !

As for Ajer everything I have seen and read indicates to me that City have dodged the bullet .

This, exactly my thoughts. 

• Like 2

On 15/07/2021 at 17:09, Dean Coneys boots said:

lost out to direct rival for our targeted CB

I can remember when we missed out on Ola Toivanen.

Couple of years later he rocks up at Sunderland on loan and showed us that we'd dodged a bullet.

The sun shines, the yellow shirts pristine as the teams run out. Fans strain their necks to take a look at the new faces, and put shirt numbers to names. Instinctively we sum up the physical appearance with the long campaign ahead in mind. We miss familiar faces, our loyalty to the City club not shaken, but a new term unease sits with us. Will we measure up? We hope those latest additions will become one of our own. We go through the formation, visualising our battle plan, remembering the names; and then the referee blows the whistle. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I can remember when we missed out on Ola Toivanen.

Couple of years later he rocks up at Sunderland on loan and showed us that we'd dodged a bullet.

Sunderland is a black hole for players and their careers, and it was two years later, so hardly comparable, although as it happens he was still scoring World Cup goals in 2018. If we had got Toivonen instead of having to settle for Elmander, who really was way past his best, we might well have stayed up that season.

This is quite a laugh if you haven't seen it, although Lloris cannot have seen the funny side...

Edited by PurpleCanary