4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What a surprise, as night follows day, dcb can always be relied on to concentrate on anything negative. For me, we’ve not missed out on Ajer, we moved on weeks ago - there’s a big difference. 

Months in fact.  Our last bid for him was in May.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

My original post made clear that things could change - so it was an observation about what has happened so far. And losing out on our top cb target to a promoted rival is - by anyone’s book- disappointing. 

I also find it odd that some people on this board are SO defensive of the club hierarchy as to aggressively denounce any negative points as disloyal. Surely it is reasonable for fans to want to see us compete - not just roll over and cheer when we lose.

Honestly some on here seem to think we are heading for mid table as we are because “omabamidile is developing well so we don’t need Ajer” and because we don’t need a new CB. Those are the same people who assured us last time round that windows weren’t yet shut and all would be well, it wasn’t, we went on to suffer a season with worst stats ever. Explain why largely the same team won’t do the same again? Minus, of course, our best player that season in terms of assists 

The reason people get so defensive is that you come out with this pessimistic tripe at the start of every season and if we are doing well you're as quiet as a mouse but as soon as we hit any sort of setback, out you crawl again.

• Like 1

Nobody is denying we moved on. The question is why? If it is because we found better targets/ great. If it is because we cannot compete with wages or fees with our promotion rivals then it is worrying 

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

The reason people get so defensive is that you come out with this pessimistic tripe at the start of every season and if we are doing well you're as quiet as a mouse but as soon as we hit any sort of setback, out you crawl again.

What of it? I am vocal when concerned about things but content and quiet when we are not. Doesn’t make me less of a fan than you 

What of it? I am vocal when concerned about things but content and quiet when we are not. Doesn’t make me less of a fan than you 

So you are being vocal and concerned before a ball is kicked and before the transfer window has closed.......why?........

All this because Brentford signed a player we made one bid for back in May. Pull yourself together, it’s not a good look.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I didn’t say that, I’m just pointing out why people react they way they do to what you say.

Why is it the only people that use the term "little Norwich" are the ones that get upset about a player they had no prior knowledge of going to a club who paid a chunk more for him than our club figured he was worth?

There is another element to all of this that folks don't ever consider. When it became apparent that Celtic were actively stoking an auction for Ajer, there are several things you can do. No one really likes the idea of a player auction, the owning club will use the interested clubs to stoke up a price beyond realistic value. That's the point of them. But you can bid without hoping to buy them. Why? Well, just like when you are in an auction and you have knowledge of a better lot coming up, or perhaps one just as good, you can attempt to push up the price to leave the other parties without funds to look at other targets. By making them overspend, you can potentially get future targets for less.

I'm not suggesting that is what has happened here, but we know that Newcastle and Brentford as well as some teams on the continent were interested in him. Some with more spending power than Brentford. So why were Brentford the only ones left paying that much? If he was worth more, surely one of those other teams, like Newcastle, would have moved to sign him?

The way I see it, the only team that valued him that much was Brentford. Now they might have a gamble that pays off, they may not. But they have paid more than anyone else was willing to, which suggests they are taking quite a gamble.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Its not imo ... but the transfer window is not shut yet. Too early to say yet..

How isn’t it? 

rashica > Buendia 

gunn > nyland 

Gilmour > skipp 

lees-morou > Steipermann 

two promising youngsters with longer terms contracts signed and two players who were on loan converted into full time transfers 

Can’t see how it isn’t Better but agreed transfer window isn’t over yet 

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Pandemic has hit every club so doesn’t change our level of competitiveness with them. I haven’t forgotten the relegation / it hurt and was the result of not even trying to be competitive. We were told it would be different this time/ am hoping that is true 

Has it not been different? 

Can't see how you can state Rashica is better than Buendía. He's the best player we've had for a very, very long time. If Rashica gets to even 70% of his level we'll have done well. 

I would argue 

Rashica < Buendia 

Gilmour to Skipp doesn’t work as they are totally different types of player - my biggest concern is loss of skipp - he was integral to our better defence 

gun > Nyland but so what? It won’t really effect the starting XI much and if we compare to last premiership campaign about the same 

lees morou > stieperman agreed. 

7 hours ago, Canario said:

Can't see how you can state Rashica is better than Buendía. He's the best player we've had for a very, very long time. If Rashica gets to even 70% of his level we'll have done well. 

I would argue 

Rashica < Buendia 

Gilmour to Skipp doesn’t work as they are totally different types of player - my biggest concern is loss of skipp - he was integral to our better defence 

gun > Nyland but so what? It won’t really effect the starting XI much and if we compare to last premiership campaign about the same 

lees morou > stieperman agreed. 

7 hours ago, Yobocop said:

How isn’t it? 

rashica > Buendia 

gunn > nyland 

Gilmour > skipp 

lees-morou > Steipermann 

two promising youngsters with longer terms contracts signed and two players who were on loan converted into full time transfers 

Saying X is better than Y without them even kicking a ball in anger wearing a yellow shirt is a bit premature.

It’s almost as if these signings we’ve made such as the much lauded Gilmour and Rashica don’t count when it comes to ambition from our critics, but the moment we miss out on say an Ajer, then remarkably it seems they were the greatest players ever 🤔

42 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Saying X is better than Y without them even kicking a ball in anger wearing a yellow shirt is a bit premature.

There's often a bit of premature evaluation on here. Mrs Fred offen PMs me to complain about it.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It’s almost as if these signings we’ve made such as the much lauded Gilmour and Rashica don’t count when it comes to ambition from our critics, but the moment we miss out on say an Ajer, then remarkably it seems they were the greatest players ever 🤔

Conversely; it is as if the departure of last seasons best players -Buendia and skipp don’t count when it comes to the praises of the happy clappers, but the moment we sign a player nobody has seen play for Norwich they are the greatest players ever 🤔

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

There's often a bit of premature evaluation on here. Mrs Fred offen PMs me to complain about it.

You might have used the wrong word here...

Being a relative newcomer to these pages I really am struggling to believe the level of negativity in some of the posts . Following a fantastic promotion season we have lost one key player . The new recruits look to have real potential . The two loan to full transfers have run smoothly - both quality players . 

By the way did somebody close the transfer deadline when I wasn't looking !

As for Ajer everything I have seen and read indicates to me that City have dodged the bullet .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Branston said:

Being a relative newcomer to these pages I really am struggling to believe the level of negativity in some of the posts. 

Oh it will get better, trust me! 

Welcome! 

I dont think we are stronger yet either, but theres plenty of time to go until the season starts.  

Losing Buendia was a bit of a kick in the teeth, but lets see how the squad looks at the end of the window.  

Conversely; it is as if the departure of last seasons best players -Buendia and skipp don’t count when it comes to the praises of the happy clappers, but the moment we sign a player nobody has seen play for Norwich they are the greatest players ever 🤔

Therefore, the truth is undoubtedly somewhere in the middle ground. Which implies to me that you've soiled your nappy waaaaay too early, as usual. Go and get some fresh air, for Christ's sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Using the derogatory term "happy clapper" in what, up until then, had been a reasonable debate tells me all I need to know about you and your motive for posting...........

• Like 1

What a load of shoite. Amazing you’re upset about losing a very good youth player in Skipp that is being replaced by another youth player in Gilmour that is being talked about on another level again by some of the best around. I know which I’d rather have, but I guess us happy clappers have a bit more ambition. And some of us feel rightly or wrongly that we will make our team as a whole stronger with the Buendia money. It really doesn’t take much research to find out Rashica is a very coveted player, a ‘Champions League level’ player, and that it was quite a coup for us. But oh no, that ain’t good enough for you, Deano. And I suspect it never will be given in our 119 year history we’ve never once been owned by that rich Chinese investor your ilk crave so rabidly. You are unrealistic and unsupportive. Try supporting the club under the circumstances it’s in, and admire what’s being done like most people with their heads screwed on are doing 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Pandemic has hit every club so doesn’t change our level of competitiveness with them. I haven’t forgotten the relegation / it hurt and was the result of not even trying to be competitive. We were told it would be different this time/ am hoping that is true 

If we hadn't lost three centre-halves at once for at least half the season (after all, Liverpool had the same problem last season with a weak title defence), then we would definitely have been competitive. In all likelihood we'd probably have fallen just short, but there's no way we'd only have had 21 points and struggled so badly on Project Restart.

Even despite being so crocked at centre-half, we still had half-a-chance until the pandemic hit us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We always knew that Skipp was going back. Noises were made that the club was looking into bringing him back this season back very early on in the year, Feb-March time. However, no other messages were shared. A player that is not ours going back to the parent club isn't something you can blame the club on. The fact they brought him in on loan despite being a complete unknown for him to then make the impact he did, deserves plaudits.

How you can then criticise the club so heavily with such inaccurate information is just mind boggling. Give it 6 weeks and then be a bit more realistic.

As for not having played for Norwich - Rashica is not an unknown, he has played a lot of top flight football in Germany. It is possible people have watched a fair bit of him and may well be basing their judgement on that. For example, if we signed Messi, would you argue he isn't better than Buendia because we haven't seen him in a Norwich shirt?

At which point it is just utterly clear that you have done zero research and are not prepared in the slightest, to suggest any areas of our squad have been improved. You only want to see the negative. You views are unbalanced and unreasoned. Therefore unrealistic.

Plus:
- Please stop referring to us as "little old Norwich", folks like you really are the only ones to do so, and typically so you can then bash other fans and antagonise them.
- Please stop using "happy clapper" it only causes division and will alienate you as a rather nasty person. Just because people don't agree with your rather extreme and angry opinions, doesn't mean they are deserving of being insulted, especially when you are in the minority.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yobocop said:

How isn’t it? 

rashica > Buendia 

gunn > nyland 

Gilmour > skipp 

lees-morou > Steipermann 

Rashica is going to have to go some to improve on our player of the season last year. So that's not stronger. He maybe, all things crossed, but I doubt it. Decent signing though, just not stronger.

Nyland never played so we have no idea if Gunn is stronger. Gunn has been poor last couple of seasons but if we can get him back to the standards he was before he left..a bargain. Doesn't really make the 1st team stronger as he won't play much.

Gilmour is not the same player as Skipp. We need a strong defensive central midfielder.

Lee-mouor looks good and hopefully he can adapt quickly.

Transfers hopefully still to come in but we are not stronger yet...imo.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

Anyone going to call @Dean Coneys boots out for the list of unsubstantiated assumptions he's made in his OP anyway?

How do we know Ajer was a top target - he could have been a 3rd choice option that we put a token bid in to see where Celtic were with things?

How do you know we don't have plenty other, higher rated targets in the pipeline? Just because you haven't heard it on Twitter? Rashica, anyone?!

How do you know we're missing out on our top targets when you have zero information on who our top targets are, who we've actually bid for and who Farke wants most?

Hyperbole, nonsense, the usual.

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Anyone going to call @Dean Coneys boots out for the list of unsubstantiated assumptions he's made in his OP anyway?

How do we know Ajer was a top target - he could have been a 3rd choice option that we put a token bid in to see where Celtic were with things?

How do you know we don't have plenty other, higher rated targets in the pipeline? Just because you haven't heard it on Twitter? Rashica, anyone?!

How do you know we're missing out on our top targets when you have zero information on who our top targets are, who we've actually bid for and who Farke wants most?

Hyperbole, nonsense, the usual.

Because you don’t make £10 million offers for your third target without any bid made for any other players? 

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because you don’t make £10 million offers for your third target without any bid made for any other players? 

how do you know we havent bid for any other players? 

You don't just ring up and say 'if like player XYZ for £XXX' and they say yes or no. 

back-ground work and dare i say due diligence is done long before a bid is placed. 

Obviously we don’t know the targets - but it is pretty obvious this was our main one- and the lack of activity once it fell through adds to the sense we lost out and don’t much fancy the others