1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That is fine if we now sign someone better for less. Otherwise our direct competition just upgraded their CB and we didn’t.. which hardly screams ambition to stay up 

Good Lord! Are you really suggesting we should pay millions more for a player than we think he's worth just to thwart the opposition? I think we'll stick with Webber on this.

10 minutes ago, WSM said:

I might be wrong but think I have seen a photo of Toby Alderweireld and his dad at Carrow road having a look around

It could be then, but obviously there will be lots of conflicting rumours flying around about this sort of thing but very few will know what really went down.

We can’t compete with Brentford now what is going on at the club and where has all the money gone 🤷‍♂️

we desperately need owners who will invest properly in the club 

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

We can’t compete with Brentford now what is going on at the club and where has all the money gone 🤷‍♂️

Delia and Mike have just spent all last year's profits decking out a luxury S and M dungeon at their Stowmarket home. It's their money so just suck up the pain.

If you’ve got £10 and want a Mars bar, and you know it’s worth £1 and your maybe willing to stretch to £1.50, you don’t just give them £5 because you can afford it. We have our own valuations on players, on what we feel they can offer in terms of performance, progressions and with some sell on value. Webber obviously set our valuation at £10 million and not a penny more for a player in the last year of their contract and maybe only marginally better than what we have. 

This is another one where I’d suggest we all wait until the end of the window before getting too upset, we made our bid in may for Ajer and don’t appear to have been that fussed to go back in for him. No doubt something else is being worked on at either a better price, or a better player.

If there is only one Mars bar going- and the one who misses out will be relegated- then a fiver might be worth spending…it’s not as simple an equation as all that. £13.5 million will be a great investment if he performs - and we will have missed out if our defence don’t perform as well 

Alternatively, they lashed out a decent proportion of their budget on a defender who doesn't make the step up... we suddenly look cannier.

I'm a little disappointed, feels like we weren't a million miles away with our 10m bid and it's a shame a deal want struck as he's a good player.

I'm sure we have other targets lined up though 👍

Also, it's quite funny that the "Mighty Famous Celtic" have just sold their best player to Brentford.

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

If there is only one Mars bar going- and the one who misses out will be relegated- then a fiver might be worth spending…it’s not as simple an equation as all that. £13.5 million will be a great investment if he performs - and we will have missed out if our defence don’t perform as well 

Urm right, I agree to the second part of that, however… is he the only CB for sale in all of football this window? No.

Might I turn the argument around and say, shouldn’t we be aiming higher than people who are willing to join Brentford?

Go ask a neutral - Ajer is a decent player and will be valued higher than any of our current CBs. He clearly WAS good enough for us to have made an offer - we just couldn’t or wouldn’t compete with Brentford. That is alarming as he was clearly a first target or we would have put in an offer for someone else first 

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Go ask a neutral - Ajer is a decent player and will be valued higher than any of our current CBs. He clearly WAS good enough for us to have made an offer - we just couldn’t or wouldn’t compete with Brentford. That is alarming as he was clearly a first target or we would have put in an offer for someone else first 

Im sure that's not how transfers work. Im sure there are a few bids in for players that we are not aware of / don't complete for whatever reason.  How do you know we haven't other bids in, that are being worked on? 

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We will never know the truth of if he was first choice, no doubt high up the list, but I find it hard to believe we wouldn’t stretch out that extra little bit if he was the person Webber had this seasons fate pinned on. For all we know we put in the bid whilst also talking to other targets, who have moved along in a more positive manner and that’s why we abandoned the move after the first bid.

I’d also argue, whilst he has potential, comparing his last season to Hanley and Gibson he certainly isn’t better than them, currently.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

They deserved to win the league all the way back in January dont you remember? The least we can do for wrongly taking that from them is to let them have one of our transfer targets!

DCB straight in wielding the stick. No hanging about waiting for our first loss (or even for the signing to go through.)😀

1 minute ago, Herman said:

DCB straight in wielding the stick. No hanging about waiting for our first loss (or even for the signing to go through.)😀

Well excuse me for wanting us to actually make a decent fist of it this time. Perhaps you enjoyed our historically worst season when Webber admitted we went to war without a gun- I didn’t 

23 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It’s getting a bit boring now. You need to sex things up a bit Fred. 🥱 🛏💤

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s getting a bit boring now. You need to sex things up a bit Fred. 🥱 🛏💤

Said Mrs Fred too! 

• Haha 1

If Omobamidele really appears to have come on, then not engaging in a bidding war, which was basically what Celtic was banking on, could be an exceptionally prudent piece of business. After all, Ajer's played in a pretty weak league with very little depth for several years. He's just a very promising player with a fair bit of international experience for someone of his age.

He might be worth more than Gibson and Hanley due to his youth and potential, but it doesn't remotely mean he is better than them at this point in time.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Don’t tempt him to go into details! 

Its her going into details im worried about! Wouldnt take long though im sure! 

21 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I’m trying to work out a scenario involving Mars bars and relegation, but I’ve got nothing. 🤔

The closest I can get to is something involving the Rolling Stones and Marianne Faithfull, but this is a family forum.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Delia and Mike have just spent all last year's profits decking out a luxury S and M dungeon at their Stowmarket home. It's their money so just suck up the pain.

This reminds me of one of the funniest jokes I've heard for some time: Comedian: " After 5 hours of pain and degradation I was beginning to realise that "Harder" wasn't a good choice of "Safe word"".

Re Ajer - no one has mentioned that Brentford may be willing and/or able to offer him higher wages than us, so we can't use this as a stick to beat the club with IMO.

Perhaps there was also something about Ajer's attitude that Farke didn't like. Just guessing, but we all know that he looks for club players, and I'm not referring to the chocolate biscuit.

I mean, I will admit that being outspent and outplayed by a team that's only just been promoted to the Prem for the very first time in the clubs history and has a 17,000 capacity stadium is just a small bit embarrassing.. But let's hope he flops for them

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, I will admit that being outspent and outplayed by a team that's only just been promoted to the Prem for the very first time in the clubs history and has a 17,000 capacity stadium is just a small bit embarrassing.. But let's hope he flops for them

This small team have also outspent Newcastle and Leverkusen by the looks of it. We apparently were prepared to outspend those two.

Just because Brentford feel Ajer is worth more than the other clubs interested in him, doesn't mean it's embarrassing for the other clubs.

If Ajer is our number one target for this area we cannot rule out making a last minute bid at this point unless we have an equally good alternative option lined up. If Webber is convinced Ajer is the right player at £10m then he's probably the right player at £13.5m too.

Celtic wanted to bid the price up and Webber was wise to step out of that process so as not to encourage it.

Now though we can still make a deal by offering the same as Brentford have done.

It all comes down to how good Webber thinks Ajer is.

Warren Buffet is famous for saying that he'd much rather pay a good price for a great stock than a fair price for a reasonable stock. 

How good is Ajer? If he's only reasonably good we shouldn't have bid at all.

If he's exceptionally good then we should still be in for him.

So what happens if we match Brentfords £13.50M  and then they go higher again?  

I just have this image stuck in my head of him ducking out of the way of the ball for a rangers goal last season during a 4-1 defeat. Not what we need at this point and certainly not at that price imo.

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

So what happens if we match Brentfords £13.50M  and then they go higher again?  

Bruce Forsyth's ghost appears.