5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Bruce Forsyth's ghost appears.

Good game Good game. 

Can I get this one in too  - before restrictions are eased next week?

image.png.befc744351c5ad8db911fa35f39e2b92.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

DCB straight in wielding the stick. No hanging about waiting for our first loss (or even for the signing to go through.)😀

Cant say I'm massively shocked.

Of course, had we pipped Brentford, spent £18 million and he flopped, he'd be on here demanding Webber be sacked...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m trying to work out a scenario involving Mars bars and relegation, but I’ve got nothing. 🤔

The closest I can get to is something involving the Rolling Stones and Marianne Faithfull, but this is a family forum.

I can work out a scenario involving Fred, Mrs Fred and a Mars bar...

12 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I can work out a scenario involving Fred, Mrs Fred and a Mars bar...

Best not to.

Well, he apparently failed the personality test or whatever it was, so no wonder we never went back in for him.

BTW, is it just me or did we attract a bunch of glory hunters around the early 90’s who made the ‘mistake’ of following us thinking those are typical City seasons, only to be forever disappointed since at the reality? It’s still not too late to go follow Man City or Chelsea where your fortunes (and mood) will turn overnight 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Well, he apparently failed the personality test or whatever it was, so no wonder we never went back in for him.

BTW, is it just me or did we attract a bunch of glory hunters around the early 90’s who made the ‘mistake’ of following us thinking those are typical City seasons, only to be forever disappointed since at the reality? It’s still not too late to go follow Man City or Chelsea where your fortunes (and mood) will turn overnight 😉

I honestly think some people just don't get football. They follow it, they like the being part of something, but the tactics, the business side of things, the transfer markets... the constant demand for a very wealthy owner to walk in and splash the cash like Man City... stuff of absolute fantasy, suggests that they just are not able to comprehend how these things work, and to an extent, reality.

There was even one such group on facebook named "the realistic canaries group" who thought reality was that this imaginary sheikh was out there ready to step in only if someone aggressively pushed for "Delia's" removal from the club. In fact, there is a Delia Out group made up of some of the same people. When I asked them what they think it would achieve if Delia left, they replied a wealthy owner coming in. When I asked them about Michael, they had no clue who he was.

They don't even know that Delia is JOINT majority owner... so by by some miraculous turn of fate she steps down, they think they've won, but they haven't. Just so idiotic.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

The personality test thing wasn’t ever an actual thing. The ITK that said it also said Norwich’s bid had been accepted. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The personality test thing wasn’t ever an actual thing. The ITK that said it also said Norwich’s bid had been accepted. 

I don’t know the account personally, some say he or she’s come up with the goods previously, others say it’s nonsense so I have an open mind on it (though you seem to be a good judge of such accounts to be fair, Bethnal). It maybe someone who does have connections but they just got a bit ahead of themselves. Don’t believe for a minute that the club do a, if you like, sit down character test myself, but I’m sure how they are in the flesh at Colney is duly noted. 

14 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, I will admit that being outspent and outplayed by a team that's only just been promoted to the Prem for the very first time in the clubs history and has a 17,000 capacity stadium is just a small bit embarrassing.. But let's hope he flops for them

How? Norwich can afford 13.5 million, we just don't want to pay it. If we thought it was worth it, we would have.

Brentford had a different valuation, that could be for a variety of reasons. Brentford could think he is a better player than we do, they could be more desperate for a player in that position,  they could have fewer well scouted back-up options, we may have a player in another position who we think will cost alot and who we want more than a CB (a DM for example), or he may fit their planned tactics more than ours.

The idea that one of us is correct in our valuation and the other is incorrect is rubbish. Opportunity cost applies.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I don’t know the account personally, some say he or she’s come up with the goods previously, others say it’s nonsense so I have an open mind on it (though you seem to be a good judge of such accounts to be fair, Bethnal). It maybe someone who does have connections but they just got a bit ahead of themselves. Don’t believe for a minute that the club do a, if you like, sit down character test myself, but I’m sure how they are in the flesh at Colney is duly noted. 

The fact the same tweet that said about the personality test also said the fee had been agreed somewhat calls all the content into question. He seems a fairly reliable ITK from what people have said, but he got that one wrong. 

We know Norwich do put a lot of thought into player's characters when signing, but the Ajer deal never happening for Norwich was due to never being able to agree a fee with Celtic. Norwich wouldn't have bid if they weren't fully committed to signing him.

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The fact the same tweet that said about the personality test also said the fee had been agreed somewhat calls all the content into question. He seems a fairly reliable ITK from what people have said, but he got that one wrong. 

We know Norwich do put a lot of thought into player's characters when signing, but the Ajer deal never happening for Norwich was due to never being able to agree a fee with Celtic. Norwich wouldn't have bid if they weren't fully committed to signing him.

Probably they were told stuff by their sources within the club - and the sources obviously felt that it was a long way down the line (which it was on personal terms apparently) and then the 'Chinese whispers' effect took hold and you got the tweet

They've been on the money before quite a few times but yeah no one is infallible

I heard that a fee was agreed for Ajer some time ago...and when we sold Emi, Celtic suddenly changed the asking price considerably.

I think its reasonable to be disappointed if he ends up elsewhere- he's clearly been a major target of ours and if Webber thinks he'd improve the team then I'd want him here and not at a likely relegation rival.

What we obviously can't know for sure is why we decided not to match. Is it because we didn't want to or we didn't feel like we could? If its the former then fine, although if he shines at Brentford it would raise questions. If its the later then I'd be concerned.

What I hope we're not doing is just going with what we've got in central defence- unless Omobamidele makes a huge step up I just don't think what we have is enough. It seems talk has moved away from sizable investment in a central defender so I'm hoping that means we're confident of getting a loan to strengthen the position. Only time will tell though. 

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

What I hope we're not doing is just going with what we've got in central defence- unless Omobamidele makes a huge step up I just don't think what we have is enough.

Omobamidele looks to have made the step up to the first team and like Aarons/Lewis/Godfrey did, will follow that up with appearances in the PL.  I am fairly sure that Hanley/Gibson will be the first choice CB pairing, but if injured or suspended, I would expect Omo to be the next choice in there - and do well.  Not forgetting we have Zimbo and Klose, both of who could be back ups as well. 

If we had got Ajer, would he have stepped in before Hanley or Gibson?  I doubt it and so would just be squad strengthening.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Omobamidele looks to have made the step up to the first team and like Aarons/Lewis/Godfrey did, will follow that up with appearances in the PL.  I am fairly sure that Hanley/Gibson will be the first choice CB pairing, but if injured or suspended, I would expect Omo to be the next choice in there - and do well.  Not forgetting we have Zimbo and Klose, both of who could be back ups as well. 

If we had got Ajer, would he have stepped in before Hanley or Gibson?  I doubt it and so would just be squad strengthening.

I think if we were willing to spend £10m+ on him then we'd expect him to be a starter.

Klose is not in the squad- he's been banished to the 'naughty step' as others have called it, training with a separate coach. He isn't playing this season. I also have very little faith in Zimmerman at this level- every time I've seen him over the last couple of seasons he has struggled and I think those injuries have taken their toll on his mobility. So in my opinion we really only have Hanley and Gibson as established defenders and Omobamidele who looks hugely promising but hasn't even reached double figures for appearances yet. In my opinion that just isn't enough right now.

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think at £10M+ he would be starting, prob with Gibbo. Maybe even a back 3. 

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I think at £10M+ he would be starting, prob with Gibbo. Maybe even a back 3. 

Well I would value Gibson and Hanley worth £10m plus, given the way they played last season. Hanley has been a revelation in terms of how he has improved his all round game, as shown against England, where he was some people's motm.  And if we do spend £10m+ on anyone I don't think they are guaranteed a place in the team because really, very few, if any, of our players are worth less than £10m anyway, quite a few, considerably more.

I don't think anyone is guaranteed a place under Farke, look at Todd and Emi last season! 

Alas we will never know though. 

What we value players at is not necessary what someone else is prepared to pay. 

Maybe Brentford offered him a guaranteed first team place something we maybe refused to do given we have Gibson and Hanley who I expect to start if fit.

And mean Brentford are essentially backed by a rich chairman. Granted they have gone about it in a more considerate way than say Bournemouth but they are essentially another team bank rolled by a rich owner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Maybe Brentford offered him a guaranteed first team place something we maybe refused to do given we have Gibson and Hanley who I expect to start if fit.

And mean Brentford are essentially backed by a rich chairman. Granted they have gone about it in a more considerate way than say Bournemouth but they are essentially another team bank rolled by a rich owner.

I don't think it would have anything to do with that- it just seems we weren't willing to meet the asking price that Celtic wanted so it was never for Ajer to choose between us and Brentford.

Didn't we get outbid on Virgil Van Dijk? Story at the time was that he was coming to us, a fee had been agreed and we got "gazumped" by Southampton. 

Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself. 

35 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Didn't we get outbid on Virgil Van Dijk? Story at the time was that he was coming to us, a fee had been agreed and we got "gazumped" by Southampton. 

Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself. 

It never got that close, Norwich were interested but Van Dijk wasn't interested in coming to Norwich.

• Thanks 1

I see Axel Tuanzebe is available for loan from Manchester United.

Now that would be a great loan signing for us in light of missing out on Ajer.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

35 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'd love this signing, think he'd be a really good addition. Newcastle have been linked though and Bruce has managed him before I think. 

13 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd love this signing, think he'd be a really good addition. Newcastle have been linked though and Bruce has managed him before I think. 

Either way, great name ,Axel Tuanzebe. 

17 hours ago, king canary said:
19 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If ManUtd have any sense they would investigate sending him to us rather than Newcastle, or favour us if we have expressed interest. Footballing wise there is no comparison between the two clubs, our approach is so much more of a pure football one than a Bruce managed club could ever be.

23 hours ago, king canary said:

I think its reasonable to be disappointed if he ends up elsewhere- he's clearly been a major target of ours and if Webber thinks he'd improve the team then I'd want him here and not at a likely relegation rival.

We don't know that he has been a major target. We made a take it or leave it offer then moved on... in May...

That doesn't sound like someone we were fighting tooth and nail to try and sign. The issue is some fans can attach too much emotion to something they know very little about. Some folks are making him out to be the next van Dijk to try and exaggerate their point.

It's a narrative that some supporters want to create to suit their opinion that the club is badly run, always misses out on "top" targets because we won't spend money... yadda, yadda, yadda.

22 hours ago, king canary said:

I think if we were willing to spend £10m+ on him then we'd expect him to be a starter.

Klose is not in the squad- he's been banished to the 'naughty step' as others have called it, training with a separate coach. He isn't playing this season. I also have very little faith in Zimmerman at this level- every time I've seen him over the last couple of seasons he has struggled and I think those injuries have taken their toll on his mobility. So in my opinion we really only have Hanley and Gibson as established defenders and Omobamidele who looks hugely promising but hasn't even reached double figures for appearances yet. In my opinion that just isn't enough right now.

Malky Mackay never had much mobility yet so many people will tell you he is one of our best ever defenders.

On 15/07/2021 at 15:25, AJ said:

£13.5M doesn't sound that high, but who knows what the add-ons and what-not total it up to.

Definitely sounds like money we can invest elsewhere when we spent less on Gibson who has more experience

About the  same size club as us but with more ambition - if we don’t sign another striker we will be in Deep water having to rely on a 31 year old Pukki all season