3 minutes ago, LondonCanary said:

13.5m better deployed in other areas than 1 back-up CB. Would be my guess. 

Possibly, but Brentford are very canny in the transfer market ..... or at least as a Championship club.

Considering that Ajer was being linked with £20m+ moves last summer to bigger clubs than Norwich and Brentford, it's still a decent price really due to his expiring contract. It does appear to be beyond our budget, however.

19 minutes ago, LondonCanary said:

13.5m better deployed in other areas than 1 back-up CB. Would be my guess. 

Had we spent £10m on Ajer, or any centre back for that matter, he would not have been a backup.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Had we spent £10m on Ajer, or any centre back for that matter, he would not have been a backup.

That’s my point 

I reckon the loss of that gambling sponsorship (can't remember their name) has cost us dearly here!! 😉 

I don't think he was an ideal choice and have said so repeatedly. Unless he learns to be more combative, I don't think he's going to shine that much. That said, Brentford probably needed a centre-half more than we did as Pinnock looked a weak link even at Champs level.

Well, it will be a good stick to beat the club with if nothing else. 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Well, it will be a good stick to beat the club with if nothing else. 😀

They deserved to win the league all the way back in January dont you remember? The least we can do for wrongly taking that from them is to let them have one of our transfer targets!

£13.5M doesn't sound that high, but who knows what the add-ons and what-not total it up to.

Definitely sounds like money we can invest elsewhere when we spent less on Gibson who has more experience

The goalposts have seemingly shifted a bit since City offered 10 mill for Ajer back in May. Gibson, Hanley , Zimbo and Omo make a decent quartet of permanent CB's and  looking more likely now that if an extra addition is needed it may come in  a loan move. Money resources now appear to be for one more midfielder and a possible striker (although unsure if Billing would be the midfielder thou the Pink UN /EDP still suggest City are strongly wanting him).

Good to see SW and co. not going beyond their financial borders in the pursuit of Ajer, we may have had a bit bigger purse of dosh this time around but there are limits of course and other areas of the squad seem more in need than another CB, especially an over the budget permanent one.

Hoping he doesn’t fall in the Van D*jk or Alderweireld camp of players we got very close to signing and turned into excellent PL quality…

What are the examples of players we just missed out on that turned into PL flops?

Got to sit back and trust Webber on this one ... he knows the funds we have to play with and what Ajer's addition was 'worth' to us.

Is he better than Gibbo and Hanley? A better age for sure.

6 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Hoping he doesn’t fall in the Van D*jk or Alderweireld camp of players we got very close to signing and turned into excellent PL quality…

What are the examples of players we just missed out on that turned into PL flops?

mccormack

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Did we really get close to signing them though ?  I had the impression at the time we didn't really have much chance of actually landing them and were being a bit unrealistic in targeting them.

7 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

mccormack

Ah of course. I was thinking more along the line of defenders, there are probably a few attackers that we were close to that ended up as dross. 

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Did we really get close to signing them though ?  I had the impression at the time we didn't really have much chance of actually landing them and were being a bit unrealistic in targeting them.

It’s written into folklore that Alderweireld was at Colney, but saw the peeling paint and slipped roof tiles and got back in his car. 

• Haha 1

Funny what money can do. This guy is going from walking out at Celtic park with champions league football to Brentford’s (albeit tidy) little number to a club who’s peak achievement so far is last years playoff final win to earn a place in the coveted “EPL”.  

That’s not meant to come across disrespectful as I’d expect football fans to be thinking a similar thing if he was about to sign for us. 

Its just a good example I suppose of how money completely rules football.

38 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You just know hes gonna end up being Brentfords player of the season and keep them up*

*please note that I am not mystic meg, I have no psychic powers nor ways of being able to see the future which is unpredictable, chances are Brentford may still and statistically are one the favourites to go down and get relegated or they could stay up I'm afraid I do not know which of the two it is

Well we were prepared to spend £10m on him. A bit frustrating as he could have covered other positions. The difference in what Brentford are paying for him is the equivalent of our lashed up sponsorship deal.

It will be interesting to see who we get instead.

21 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

We got closer with Koulibaly I think, who has also gone on to be a top class centre back.

19 minutes ago, WD40 said:

It’s written into folklore that Alderweireld was at Colney, but saw the peeling paint and slipped roof tiles and got back in his car. 

Was it actually Alderweireld or just his agent who came to Norwich? I think I've read before that it was his agent.

22 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Sounds all too plausible !

On the move from Celtic to Brentford, money is presumably a part.  But it's always mentioned that Celtic play in the Champions League.  How big a deal is that really, given that often they don't get through the qualifying stages, and if they do get into the group stages, mostly that's as far as they go, and they never really would have a chance of serious progress in the knockout stages.

Part of the motivation must surely be playing in the Prem and potential for a step up to a bigger club ?

• Like 1

Let’s just be real with the numbers for a second. It’s not that we couldn’t afford 13.5 million, we’ve put 10 million on the table and spent 5 million this week, it appears that Webber and the club didn’t feel that he was worth any more than 10. I’m going to trust their judgement, if he was viewed as the difference between staying up or not the boat would have been pushed out, but obviously they think he’s not a huge step above what we have got.

If we are going to drop 13 million on a player, personally I hope it’s Armstrong!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We got closer with Koulibaly I think, who has also gone on to be a top class centre back.

Was it actually Alderweireld or just his agent who came to Norwich? I think I've read before that it was his agent.

I might be wrong but think I have seen a photo of Toby Alderweireld and his dad at Carrow road having a look around

Just now, birchfest said:

Let’s just be real with the numbers for a second. It’s not that we couldn’t afford 13.5 million, we’ve put 10 million on the table and spent 5 million this week, it appears that Webber and the club didn’t feel that he was worth any more than 10. I’m going to trust their judgement, if he was viewed as the difference between staying up or not the boat would have been pushed out, but obviously they think he’s not a huge step above what we have got.

If we are going to drop 13 million on a player, personally I hope it’s Armstrong!

Beat me too it. I got the impression Webber felt £10m was already paying over the odds. Move along!

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Beat me too it. I got the impression Webber felt £10m was already paying over the odds. Move along!

That is fine if we now sign someone better for less. Otherwise our direct competition just upgraded their CB and we didn’t.. which hardly screams ambition to stay up