Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Whose Back Pocket Are You In?

In FA Cup replays Birmingham beats Reading and Crystal Palace loses to Preston in front of 16,000+ and 7,000+ respectively. The competing entertainment in Birmingham and London must be just a little superior to what Delia and Company would have to face if Norwich had been fortunate enough to be attempting to move into the fifth round. 

Therefore, faced with the concern of whether Norwich are likely to lose significant numbers of fans because of the on-field product, the Norwich Board conclusion is more than likely, " No way, not a problem at all".  Of course, some will say the FA Cup competition is not what it once was. My guess is that Norwich would have had close to full attendance if they had been hosting Reading or Preston for an opportunity to move into the last 16.

Why do other posters think Crystal Palace appear to be better positioned than we are to at least give themselves a shot at rebounding for promotion this season. They were 21 points below us in the promotion season. They had the same number of points as we did last season on being relegated. They can''t depend upon the same level of support as Norwich and yet, here they are in 5th position, 13 points and a 24 goal differential better than us. They were committed to hanging on to Andy Johnson, rejecting offers from West Ham and Birmingham, while also picking up Clinton Morrison at the start of the season.

Despite such evidence, the KTF''s believe all you do is turn a blind eye, say some seasons are better than others, it''s not the manager, Delia and Michael have invested millions, things will eventually get better, hopefully etc etc etc. And I say Birmingham and Crystal Palace would love to have Norwich fans in their back pocket. But they don''t because you''re already in the back pocket of Nigel and Delia.   

I can see how it grates on you YC - at least 20,000 paying spectators refusing to abuse the manager and the major shareholders. But that doesn''t necessarily mean that they''re in anyone''s pocket. It just means they think you''re wrong.

[quote user="Old Boy"]I can see how it grates on you YC - at least 20,000 paying spectators refusing to abuse the manager and the major shareholders. But that doesn''t necessarily mean that they''re in anyone''s pocket. It just means they think you''re wrong.[/quote]

I think a lot of it is out of respect for what Nigel, Delia and Doncaster have achieved.  I reckon at the next match the true feelings will rear their ugly head however, ipswich was never the game to do that.  Enougth people around the ground were chanting worthy out last time, more will next time.  How many people had left early in the ipswich match...  Shed loads 

No Old Boy, although you use those words, I''m sure you know that any true fan does not want to see the management or owners of the club they love abused by anyone. Sometimes, it is difficult for most of us to see many things in life clearly and with perspective until some time has passed. Obviously, football draws the passionate and emotional response from most of us. It is my opinion, however, that some years from now, the past two seasons for Norwich will be looked back upon as a case study of mis-managed opportuntity. Not catastrophic, I agree, because some good things were still happening in improving the facilities. The point is there are many businesses that do just okay and manage to survive with an accepting customer base. Then there are others who excel, managed by talented people who want to grasp the opportunity to be better still when it presents itself because, if you don''t operate with that approach, it has the potential to breed complacency within the organisation and, ultimately, disenchant the customer base.

Paul - I agree, some of the silent majority probably think change is necessary but don''t demonstrate out of respect for past achievements, which is a natural and rather praiseworthy thing. But others no doubt just believe that this is a blip, and things will improve. I''ve got no idea how many are in each group, but the two groups together share a feeling that it''s wrong to attack people, individuals, who will be a significant part of the Club''s history, no matter what happens from here on. That doesn''t mean they''re in anyone''s pocket. I imagine that most, like me, have had no dealings at all with Worthy or Delia or Doncaster, but just have a view of what''s the correct way to behave in these circumstances.

YC - your "in the back pocket" metaphor is aimed to insult those who don''t agree with you, in terms of public protest (though I doubt you''ll be on the picket line yourself). People''s minds can be changed by events, and if things carry on like this no doubt the numbers protesting will increase. And if things get really bad, people will stay away. But at the moment there are 24,000 worried optimists like me who can''t stay away.

I''m worried, but I''m also an optimist, because I believe that we''ll get the right coaching staff, if we don''t panic. I won''t be part of a "Worthy out" demo, because it''s not getting Worthy out that''s important at this stage, it''s getting the right person in. If we sacked Worthy now, we''d either have to take whoever was best of those available and willing (and that probably means second-rate), or (bearing in mind that the other senior coaches should go as well) put Dave Williams or someone in as caretaker. That may sound attractive to the rabid WOLF, but it could easily lead to relegation. That''s my opinion, but I''m in no-one''s pocket.

Once again Old Boy, I have to say no, you are missing my point. You obviously are taking what I am saying as an insult when no insult is intended. My point has got nothing to do with those that don''t agree with me. I understand your view....you''re a loyal fan that wants to continue being that.

Now, just for a moment, put the feelings of yourself ( and all the other fans you cite ) aside. My point is that the club has, for whatever reason ( and it certainly isn''t performance driven ), got a much stronger support base than the other clubs I mentioned and, perhaps less competition from an entertainment perspective. In that sense, from their perspective, they have you in their "back pocket" whether you want it to be viewed that way or not. This can sometimes, not always, lead to a little complacency.

People at the loftiest heights in this world need a "little nudge" sometimes, so it would be a surprise to think our club''s leaders would be immune to such a need.

I understand, but what do you suggest? Should we feel pressured to do something that we''re not comfortable with? I don''t want to demonstrate for the reasons that I''ve outlined, I don''t want to stay away, and only finances could stop me renewing. But I''m not in anyone''s pocket, and, though I understand your reasoning, I don''t believe that the Club heirarchy is feeling complacent at the moment. The thought of missing out on a Premier League payday will surely be making them weigh up the options.