14 hours ago, Billyboybunters said:

The only clubs with non-british managers are us and Wolves ...

Careful, not sure what way Brendan Rogers leans but some Norn Irish get pretty hot under the collar at being called British.

An ex England international. It would be wonderful to have one again especially if they were as successful as Martin Peters or Mick Channon. But still there was also Matt Jarvis and that didn't work out too well.

Two year deal I'd go for it, gives us something a bit different and is this market he won't be able to demand huge wages.

Amazed he's only 29 though, seems to have been around forever.

7 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

An ex England international. It would be wonderful to have one again especially if they were as successful as Martin Peters or Mick Channon. But still there was also Matt Jarvis and that didn't work out too well.

Add Martin Chivers and Peter Osgood (briefly,) but somehow I cannot get enthused about Townsend in the same way.

He briefly shone for England, but his international career was short lived and he seems to have become a bit run of the mill .... never exciting the interest of the real big boys.

If this does transpire then I pray it works, but atm I remain a bit dubious.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Two year deal I'd go for it, gives us something a bit different and is this market he won't be able to demand huge wages.

30 tomorrow... but yes, a bit like Dele Alli is only 25, a year or so older than Maddison.

Hang on. He can’t get a start in a poor Palace side which finished four places from relegation. 
30 years old will want big money. 

100% no go as far as I can see.

2 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Hang on. He can’t get a start in a poor Palace side which finished four places from relegation. 
30 years old will want big money. 

100% no go as far as I can see.

He Made 34 appearances last year in prem for Palace, so wasn't exactly a squad player, I would think he would be a decent signing certainly an upgrade on Hernandez IMO

Experienced and talented premier league player - something I think we need to add to the squad which is still very inexperienced in terms of the premier league and relatively young.

If reasonable wage demands and a good attitude I think this could be a good move. 

It's not all about 'potential' and ability to sell on at a profit - Couple of signings for the here and now wouldn't go amiss!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Vrancic was mid-twenties when he signed, came in with the German "model" - technical players to improve the quality of the football at the club. Ridiculous to group Vrancic with Hugill. It's like clearing up your attic and putting a diamond in the same box with a spanner !  

No, he was 28. 

And it's not ridiculous when the grouping was in relation to the 'young players to sell on' model being talked about, which is what I replied to. They are both clear examples of not buying young players to sell on.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm sure length of deal will be the major stumbling block. This is a last-big-contract chance for him and you can see another club giving him 3 or 4 years just to secure him and take the hit for the last 2 years. Something we'd be unlikely to do (nor would I want us to in this case)

37 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Can't see this happening, and not sure I'm keen on the idea. I think his best days are behind him, and honestly don't think he's that much better than Hernandez.

Really?

Last season he played 34 times for a Palace side who finished 14th in the Premier League, scoring once and assisting 5 times. 

Onel Hernandez played 24 times (15 from the bench). He had 0 assists or goals in the Championship.

He would be a massive step up from Hernandez. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Andros Townsend is obviously a step up from Argos

How is he only 29? 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Really?

Last season he played 34 times for a Palace side who finished 14th in the Premier League, scoring once and assisting 5 times. 

Onel Hernandez played 24 times (15 from the bench). He had 0 assists or goals in the Championship.

He would be a massive step up from Hernandez. 

Yeah Hernandez wasn't used much, which does surprise me tbh. Remember though, our dismal project restart, Hernandez the only player who came away with any credit. His impact is often underrated. I'm not saying Townsend isn't a better player, but I don't think there's alot in it. Certainly  not twice the player, which is what is wage demands are likely to be. 

I think there's better value out there. 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 18:33, Billyboybunters said:

The only clubs with non-british managers are us and Wolves ...

Thomas Frank at Brentford and Xisco Mūnez at Watford might disagree with you. 

10 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Thomas Frank at Brentford and Xisco Mūnez at Watford might disagree with you. 

Yes but both are under the Watford gap, which was another clue Townsend offered, ruling both out.

On 15/07/2021 at 15:53, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yeah Hernandez wasn't used much,

He was injured for much of the Premier League campaign, robbing us of the only real pace we had in the side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wow, landing on his feet somewhat, didn't expect to see him at a club who have European ambitions.

Guess with Walcott and Bolasie now left there is a vacancy at Everton for a older, not that effective winger. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wow, landing on his feet somewhat, didn't expect to see him at a club who have European ambitions.

They're also signing Demarai Gray from Leverkusen. Everton fans are understandably underwhelmed.

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

They're also signing Demarai Gray from Leverkusen. Everton fans are understandably underwhelmed.

They seem to be making some massive backwards steps since losing Ancelotti.

Didnt Townsend play briefly for Benitez in his first season at Newcastle?

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Thought Gray was a good player. Surprised it didn't work out for him at Leicester. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

They seem to be making some massive backwards steps since losing Ancelotti.

Didnt Townsend play briefly for Benitez in his first season at Newcastle?

Townsend was at Newcastle with Benitez very briefly.

Everton are hitting FFP issues I think so will need to cut back on their spending. So cheap options like Townsend and Gray make some sense for them, but may need a high profile sale as well. Shows why they haven't been able to push for Aarons despite being interested in him.

5 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Thought Gray was a good player. Surprised it didn't work out for him at Leicester. 

I think he's a decent low premier player.

But Everton? Chasing a European place? Not for me.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Replacements for Bolasie and King.

King only played 2 hours for Everton, won’t take much replacing 🤣