Agree but Lees-Melou doesn't exactly fit that model either. Be interesting to see what happens next, and whether we're after any French talent? 

1 hour ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

He said on talksport this morning he is staying in premier league. Signing on with a non British manager and the team don’t play in red… he was asked if he would have to move house as a result of a transfer. He said probably yes! And it’s above Watford….. maybe us you never know. Would certainly expect to see him stay in the prem. is he 28? Or 29? I think he would add to our squad for sure 

So based on this, it could be;

Norwich
Leicester 
Villa
Wolves
Man City
Leeds
Burnley
Newcastle

So a 1/8 chance. 

Of those, who is realistically going to be interested in signing him?

Norwich
Wolves
Burnley
Newcastle

I mean, it would be a shrewd signing. He could offer cover at left back and act as the winger we're missing. 

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Doesn't really fit our old model of buy young, sell on.

Is there a change of model or attitude?

Don’t think the age factor is a change in model when it comes to signing players for the first team, just because we have a strong youth system and recruitment in that field. There has to be a balance and I’m sure we will buy players in their later 20’s if it means it can help us achieve our goals in the short to mid term.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It's a falsehood to suggest we just buy young for the purpose of selling on. 

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not that I think we are in for him but just because that's our model doesn't mean we don't sign players outside of that scope - Vrancic, Hugill and plenty more examples.

Only way he ends up at Norwich is if no other PL club is interested, they can all afford to pay him more.

I’d be surprised if no other club was interested but then his stats aren’t amazing for the last two years.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And I’d put money on it that the club in question is Newcastle.

Yeah its such a typical Newcastle and Bruce signing combined.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

So based on this, it could be;

Norwich
Leicester 
Villa
Wolves
Man City
Leeds
Burnley
Newcastle

So a 1/8 chance. 

Of those, who is realistically going to be interested in signing him?

Norwich
Wolves
Burnley
Newcastle

I mean, it would be a shrewd signing. He could offer cover at left back and act as the winger we're missing. 

The only clubs with non-british managers are us and Wolves ...

Edited by Billyboybunters
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Only way he ends up at Norwich is if no other PL club is interested, they can all afford to pay him more.

I’d be surprised if no other club was interested but then his stats aren’t amazing for the last two years.

Doesn't have to be the case, as we have seen with other players.

He's 30 in a couple of days. What would he chose if he had an option of £80k pw for one season, £50k pw for two seasons or £30k pw for three seasons?

Players around his age and older have to be really cautious with contracts. He could take that £80k pw option, get an injury and struggle to find a club at this level and have to drop down to £10-20k pw at most in the Championship having to prove his fitness. A longer contract on less wages may be better in the long run, more secure. Willian took a pay cut I believe, to go to Arsenal as they offered a longer contract. Proves my point in a way as he hasn't been on form for them at all really. 

26 minutes ago, Billyboybunters said:

The only clubs with non-british managers are us and Wolves ...

And I can't see him being a Wolves type player, he's not Portuguese for starters 😬

4 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

And I can't see him being a Wolves type player, he's not Portuguese for starters 😬

But he is homegrown... which they may well need.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Webber’s and Farke’s stock is high at the moment but they definitely don’t want another relegation on the CV. Lessons learnt from 19/20 and this time we’re going to make a fist of stopping up. 

51 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not that I think we are in for him but just because that's our model doesn't mean we don't sign players outside of that scope - Vrancic, Hugill and plenty more examples.

I know Hugill cost up to £5M but can't remember how much Vrancic cost.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yeah its such a typical Newcastle and Bruce signing combined.

I thought it was a non British manager being quoted?

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Neither can I, not much, approx 1.5m I think, possibly even less.

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

£750k

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Webber’s and Farke’s stock is high at the moment but they definitely don’t want another relegation on the CV. Lessons learnt from 19/20 and this time we’re going to make a fist of stopping up. 

I was going to post something similar. As things stand, Webber leaves at the end of the season. His focus from a selfish point of view will be more short term than it has been. If he does leave, he’ll want to be able to point to putting us on the road to years in the PL. 

10 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It isn’t us it isn’t our type of signing at all 

You're likely right.

Alex Neil would have been all over it but we have moved on from those days.

Apparently he also said it is for a team he has not played for before.

If that's the case it really does narrow it down. It doubly removes Newcastle from the equation in that Bruce is the manager, so British manager, and he has played for them before. It also rules out Leeds and Watford as he has played for both of them before.

If Traore is being sold and moved on, which is a rumour, then could Wolves want to push one of their other many wingers into playing more regularly and bring in Townsend as an experienced back up as well as for his homegrown status for their squad? 

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Tim Krul…see you later 

Everton?.... or have I missed something 🤔 they're looking for a wing back thingy, be much cheaper than Max with loads of experience in the Premiership...... 

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Vrancic was mid-twenties when he signed, came in with the German "model" - technical players to improve the quality of the football at the club. Ridiculous to group Vrancic with Hugill. It's like clearing up your attic and putting a diamond in the same box with a spanner !  

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

Vrancic was mid-twenties when he signed, came in with the German "model" - technical players to improve the quality of the football at the club. Ridiculous to group Vrancic with Hugill. It's like clearing up your attic and putting a diamond in the same box with a spanner !  

Vrancic was 28 when he signed for us in 2017.

15 hours ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

He said on talksport this morning he is staying in premier league. Signing on with a non British manager and the team don’t play in red… he was asked if he would have to move house as a result of a transfer. He said probably yes! And it’s above Watford….. maybe us you never know. Would certainly expect to see him stay in the prem. is he 28? Or 29? I think he would add to our squad for sure 

He was not being entirely serious with his answers, in any case, but he was asked if the club was north of Watford Gap, not Watford. Watford Gap is some way north of Watford, and close to being level with Norwich.

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

He was not being entirely serious with his answers, in any case, but he was asked if the club was north of Watford Gap, not Watford. Watford Gap is some way north of Watford, and close to being level with Norwich.

I wouldn't take anything he has said as gospel at all. The main reason being that it also appears to sound a lot like a come and get me to any other parties. The entire aspect of saying you have only had one offer that is take it or leave it by the end of the week... sounds a bit like a shout out to other possibly interested parties. Especially as he's not signed anything supposedly.

Not sure how I feel about that if it does turn out to be us. Doesn't sound incredibly committed.