Some rumours flying around Twitter. I know you can’t believe everything you read. But actually was thinking about it. He would need to take a pay cut I think this would be a great signing. Thoughts? 

"Great signing" would be a stretch, he's a yo-yo team level player. 

OK squad player on the right money to give us a bit more depth out wide, saving the need to spend money on a transfer fee on that position so we've got more to spend on a striker / DM I could go with. 

Really I'd expect to see him dropping down to the Championship, to Forest / Cardiff or similar, and hope any wage we give him reflects that. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I'd have him in a heartbeat but not a chance in hell. As a free agent he will be demanding huge wages and other clubs will be after him. I see him ending up at Watford as he's the type of direct winger they like, they play counter attacking football, can pay the wages and he wouldn't have to leave London. Or Brentford maybe, definitely not us though. 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

"Great signing" would be a stretch, he's a yo-yo team level player. 

OK squad player on the right money to give us a bit more depth out wide, saving the need to spend money on a transfer fee on that position so we've got more to spend on a striker / DM I could go with. 

Really I'd expect to see him dropping down to the Championship, to Forest / Cardiff or similar, and hope any wage we give him reflects that. 

He said on talksport this morning he is staying in premier league. Signing on with a non British manager and the team don’t play in red… he was asked if he would have to move house as a result of a transfer. He said probably yes! And it’s above Watford….. maybe us you never know. Would certainly expect to see him stay in the prem. is he 28? Or 29? I think he would add to our squad for sure 

6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd have him in a heartbeat but not a chance in hell. As a free agent he will be demanding huge wages and other clubs will be after him. I see him ending up at Watford as he's the type of direct winger they like, they play counter attacking football, can pay the wages and he wouldn't have to leave London. Or Brentford maybe, definitely not us though. 

So wages too high for us, but not for Brentford, how does that work out then?

2 minutes ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

He said on talksport this morning he is staying in premier league. Signing on with a non British manager and the team don’t play in red… he was asked if he would have to move house as a result of a transfer. He said probably yes! And it’s above Watford….. maybe us you never know. Would certainly expect to see him stay in the prem. is he 28? Or 29? I think he would add to our squad for sure 

Could be then.

Might be Leeds, Villa, Newcastle or Wolves though.

Does feel like a Bruce signing, he likes domestic players.

He’s a very decent player at prem level, not sure why he’s leaving Palace but it seems half their squad are! I’d take him on the right money, no question.

30th birthday on Friday

3 minutes ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

30th birthday in 2 days.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Could be then.

Might be Leeds, Villa, Newcastle or Wolves though.

Does feel like a Bruce signing, he likes domestic players.

Can’t be Villa or Newcastle they have British managers. Can’t really see Leeds wanting him. 
wolves or us?? 

Edited by Wymondham Canaries

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Their owner has more money than our basically. 

He also talks a lot about trying to build a self-sustaining business which lives within its means and sells a player now and again to help achieve that. Wealth of the owner does not equal unlimited line of credit to splurge on wages, these people get wealthy by making sensible business decisions.

He probably has one more good contract in him. He'll want 3 years and limited relegation clause. Would be a good signing but the wages could be a stretch too far for us as we need quality in other positions.

If he's within our wage structure, get him in, and he'd also be an excellent mentor for someone like Placheta.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On 80 grand a week, so unless he fancies working for less than half that for a team that's pegged by most to go straight down and head to the Championship..

Nobody is going to offer him anywhere near that, so its not a case of "fancying" a massive pay cut, he doesn't have any choice in the matter. The market dictates that. 

Plus you seem to have taken that figure from the top result of google which looks less than credible.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On 80 grand a week, so unless he fancies working for less than half that for a team that's pegged by most to go straight down and head to the Championship..

He currently earns zero pounds per week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wealth of the owner does not equal unlimited line of credit to splurge on wages, these people get wealthy by making sensible business decisions.

Put them in charge of a football club though, and all sense goes out the window most of the time!

Benham does seem to be bucking that trend, however.

Definitely a player than can win you a match but definitely floats in and out of games.

If his wages fit then would be a very decent addition to our ranks and would potentially enable Raschica to play more central if need be

Not that I think it’s likely, but I’d be happy to see Townsend at Norwich. Would add an experienced attacking head to the squad, for younger players such as Placheta to learn from, and is used to battling in the Prem.

Still fast, still a good player, but suspect he’ll have more lucrative offers that we can afford. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

Bizarrely this interview has made it in the French football news channels (the Vieira connection, I suppose)  and it is obvious Townsend is having a bit of a laugh, and the interviewers are going along with the joke by taking his teasing answers as definite:

'Will your next manager be British?'

'Probably not.'

'OK, that's a No.'

And similarly with the Watford Gap reference.

Even the person who mentioned it on Twitter thought there was no truth in it. It was just the standard norwich fanbase going whoppy over a potential new rumour to latch on to.

Edited by jaberry2

Webber has allegedly said behind the scenes that if our transfer plans go to plan this summer then we could be in for an exciting window, or words to the effect of. I’m still hanging on to that. Not sure if that applies to Andros Townsend or not!

Heard the bit on Talksport this morning and most of it was 'At the moment I don't know' answers that Laura Woods and Tony Cascarino were interpreting by the expression on his face.

He did say that he expected it all to be sorted in about a week so we don't have long to find out where he's going.

Nothing not to like about this imo.  Good player and if he can fit into the way we play could give him a golden spell in his career that has been lacking after his England appearances when he was younger.  Seems to me to be a player who hasn't quite lived up to the hype of his youth, but as with players like Vrancic - there is some class there and if anyone can get him playing at his best, it's our Daniel.

I think he is pretty decent he can float in and out of games like has been previously mentioned but I think would be a decent signing, but I don't think he will come.