Sign in to follow this  
Thingy

Still a lot to do

A) Too much reliance upon Pukki to score goals.

B) Haven't got any solid defensive midfielders.

C) Need central defenders who are better in the air.

D) Lack of full-backs.

2 minutes ago, Thingy said:

D) Lack of full-backs.

E)   Transfer window has many weeks to run yet, just sayin.

Can I phone a friend?

Oh wait, I don't have any friends

Or a phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thingy said:

D) Lack of full-backs.

A) Yarp.
B) Physical DM - yarp.
C) Nope - Gibson, Hanley and Zimmermann all good in the air.
D) Nope - we have four: Giannoulis, Byram, Mumba and Aarons. If any leave then yes, obviously.

Never rule out any of our youngsters being brought through either. But 2/4 isn't bad. 

• Like 1

Yes we need a striker

We have Gilmour but agree we could do with one more

We have been linked to a number of CBs, it seems likely we will sign at least one but in truth it depends on their plans for Omobomadiele. If he is going to stay here, then we have 4 fairly decent-ish CBs in our ranks, and Timm Klose is still technically on our books isn't he?

We don't urgently need to sign any fullbacks, Dimi and Aarons are clearly first choices, and Mumba and Byram are decent backup

57 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yes we need a striker

We have Gilmour but agree we could do with one more

We have been linked to a number of CBs, it seems likely we will sign at least one but in truth it depends on their plans for Omobomadiele. If he is going to stay here, then we have 4 fairly decent-ish CBs in our ranks, and Timm Klose is still technically on our books isn't he?

We don't urgently need to sign any fullbacks, Dimi and Aarons are clearly first choices, and Mumba and Byram are decent backup

“4 fairly decent-ish CBs” - there’s our problem. They’re just decent-ish. Gibson is the only one that I feel comfortable calling a PL quality player. Hanley was a revelation last year of course, but is he able to make the step up? I’m not so sure.

Zimmermann, for me, is not good enough. He struggled in the last PL campaign (admittedly he had numerous injury problems), and even last season in the Championship he didn’t fill me with confidence when he did make an appearance. I would be happy if Zimmermann is our 4th choice CB, and as much as I like him as a person, I wouldn’t be too upset if he was sold this summer. He would be turned inside out every week if we did play him. 

Omobamidele looks like a class act and I’m as excited about him as I was Godfrey, but once again, he’s not a player that I would want us to be relying on this season. The lad is 18 years old, and another season in the Championship on loan where he plays week in, week out would do him a world of favours. 

Another CB, preferably someone with PL experience, should be our top priority. If we can get Tosin from Fulham, or even Cameron Carter-Vickers from Spurs, I’d be very happy. As much as I did want us to sign Ajer, the figures being quoted are ridiculous for someone who hasn’t played in the PL before and unless they drastically lower their asking price, we should be staying well away.

A) We need a striker. Rashica can play upfront but his main position is attacking midfield/winger, and Hugill and Idah are not PL quality in my opinion (Idah might be in the future)

B) I think we could do with another DM. Gilmour should do well, I also think McLean should do better for us there than last time round. I’m not too sure about Rupp and Sorensen though 

C) We need another CB, as we were plagued with injuries to them last time round. The club are clearly looking for one, as they put a bid in for Ajer. I’m interested to find out what the club do with Klose for his final year

D) We currently have four FBs: Aarons, Giannoulis, Byram and Mumba. Byram has just started training with the team again, but having been out for well over a year through injury his fitness is very questionable. Sorensen can also play there if required, so I don’t think we urgently need to sign one

There’s plenty of time to make new signings though - the transfer window isn’t closing soon but it’s best to sign new players in time for pre season

Edited by HazzaJet

23 hours ago, FatCanary said:

Can I phone a friend?

Oh wait, I don't have any friends

Or a phone.

Your fibbing on the latter. 

21 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Your fibbing on the latter. 

Lost it among my many folds circa 2017.

I'm on a laptop

Agreed. Relying on Pukki alone will be a disaster as he was worked out last time round and hardly scored in the second half of the season. He can only score one type of goal running off the last defender. A big ask to expect the boy Idah to have his breakthrough season in the EPL! And even if he did, Delia would soon be rubbing her hands in glee to see how much she could get for him to keep the fund-selfing model ticking over nicely. Hugill not EPL. Everyone including the player knows that. Hence Forest interest.

At the back. Giannoulis unproven in EPL. Gibson too slow. Hanley no good at this level. Zimmermann no good at this level. Aarons no good as a defender. Was turned inside out by boy Danjuma last season.

Still need to spend another £120 million to scrape into 17th. The step up from 21st to 17th is massive. Even clubs like Brighton and Burnley are miles ahead in their development and every time Delia has one of her many relegations the club just falls further behind.

3 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Agreed. Relying on Pukki alone will be a disaster as he was worked out last time round and hardly scored in the second half of the season. He can only score one type of goal running off the last defender. A big ask to expect the boy Idah to have his breakthrough season in the EPL! And even if he did, Delia would soon be rubbing her hands in glee to see how much she could get for him to keep the fund-selfing model ticking over nicely. Hugill not EPL. Everyone including the player knows that. Hence Forest interest.

At the back. Giannoulis unproven in EPL. Gibson too slow. Hanley no good at this level. Zimmermann no good at this level. Aarons no good as a defender. Was turned inside out by boy Danjuma last season.

Still need to spend another £120 million to scrape into 17th. The step up from 21st to 17th is massive. Even clubs like Brighton and Burnley are miles ahead in their development and every time Delia has one of her many relegations the club just falls further behind.

The main flaw with Pukki last time in the Prem is that he broke his foot, was rushed back in despite clearly not being fully fit and then as we lost game after game it was clear both he and the players heads dropped, they lost all motivation accepted relegation was inevitable and pretty much gave up despite us having many games left.

And sadly the 'small plucky little Norwich just making up the numbers happy to be here never thought we would be here its an honour to even be in this divison by golly' attitude the club/we held at the time was an awful attitude to have at the time and that did not help things either if anything made things worse

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The main flaw with Pukki last time in the Prem is that he broke his foot, was rushed back in despite clearly not being fully fit and then as we lost game after game it was clear both he and the players heads dropped, they lost all motivation accepted relegation was inevitable and pretty much gave up despite us having many games left.

And sadly the 'small plucky little Norwich just making up the numbers happy to be here never thought we would be here its an honour to even be in this divison by golly' attitude the club/we held at the time was an awful attitude to have at the time and that did not help things either if anything made things worse

The attitude was more 'we can't afford to spend any money so we will have a go but we'll probably go down' which is fair enough and what happened. I know we'd all rather have heard more positive noises, but I think, rarely for football, but normal for Webber and our ethos....he was just being honest.

You can see that in the way we aren't saying that this time. We've even had players coming out and saying we're gonna stay up. Honesty and positivity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Target is 40 points out of 114  (although 30 would have done last year) is a massive ask. Six home wins and four home draws leaves you still needing 18 points from away games. Makes you realise that 17th place would be an incredible achievement for a club/squad such as ours.

4 hours ago, FatCanary said:

Lost it among my many folds circa 2017.

I'm on a laptop

I saw a TV programme  about  seriously ( as in extremely) obese people in America.  One woman interviewed said that her carer , when giving her a bed bath found 2 chicken snack boxes and a tv remote control in the  folds of her flesh . .... beat that  Fatto !!

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fatto beat  me to it but that's not really how it went.  

Regarding the striker issue, I wonder if this is sitting in the back burner until they really know what is happening to Max.

If he goes then it opens the door to a possible exciting purchase over him staying and then it’s the loan option instead.

I may be wrong but it feels as if we have lost out on our main targets (as always happens at this level) and are now therefore reverting to fingers crossed and lower targets.

So linked with Ajer at start of summer- but now being pipped to the post by Brentford to that one - so told instead that Omabamadile is just fine. It worries me truth be told. 

So far I see us being a little weaker than last year minus emi and Skipp in terms of starting xi but clearing out dead wood and strengthening depth. Which would be great if we were still in champs but we are not. Without defensive reinforcements and big reliable cdm i fear we will be no better than last time round. After all most of the team at the same as it stands 

• Like 2

I think once the dust settles we’ll be a lot less attractive football wise than what we were used to in 18/19 but more pragmatic and harder to breakdown with emphasis on hitting on a counter attack. Aka Wolves. 

If we stay up, playing ugly with a bit of finesse I’ll be a happy man. 

The DM still feels like a huge hole to me. Gilmour isn't that player from what I've seen but admittedly I've not seen loads.

In an ideal world I'd love to see us get Axel Tuanzebe from Man U on loan but I think we'd struggle to get him if other Premier League clubs are interested.

A) Too much reliance upon Pukki to score goals.

Hopefully Rashica will add another dimension to our attack with his pace, ability to get behind the defence and goal scoring, particularly when counter-attacking. 

B) Haven't got any solid defensive midfielders.

Need to add another, but Sørensen is a DM first and foremost and his work at LB showed he can get stuck in. Sitti is also a DM, but the PL probably too big a step up.

C) Need central defenders who are better in the air.

Our CBs are good in the air but I'd feel more confident if we add another, given the injury problems last time.

D) Lack of full-backs.

Only if Aarons leaves. Byram and Mumba can both play on either flank.

12 minutes ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

is Byram fit now?

Is the Pope Anglican?

45 minutes ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

is Byram fit now?

He's training apparently. He was reportedly fit towards the end of last season but we didn't feel the need to rush him back to quickly.

Whether he can be relied on to stay fit at this point is a much bigger question. 

In the post match interview Daniel Farke pretty much confirmed that they are going to buy another striker/goalscorer before the season starts. He talked about how when you arent blessed with a lot money you sometimes have to be patient/smart.

On 13/07/2021 at 14:51, chicken said:

A) Yarp.
B) Physical DM - yarp.
C) Nope - Gibson, Hanley and Zimmermann all good in the air.
D) Nope - we have four: Giannoulis, Byram, Mumba and Aarons. If any leave then yes, obviously.

Never rule out any of our youngsters being brought through either. But 2/4 isn't bad. 

Byram can no longer be relied upon. New left back needed. 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Byram can no longer be relied upon. New left back needed. 

Byram isn't even a LB, he's right footed, but like Aarons, can play there.

Also, I will leave that up to the experts to decide, not you Jim. The club will know where Byram is in his recovery. Nizet's involvement last night suggests they might be considering to step him up too.