unique

Pierre Lees Melou

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In the 2018/19 season, our third choice was Srbeny and he didn't start a league match.

In 2019/20, we had Srbeny as third choice for the first half of the season and Idah for the second, and Idah started one league game.

This season we had Idah as third choice and again, he started once.

Our third choice has only started two games in three seasons, so adding a fourth doesn't really make much sense. 

While I generally agree, the reason Idah didn't start more was that he also got injured leaving us with Steiperman upfront at one point, 

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In the 2018/19 season, our third choice was Srbeny and he didn't start a league match.

In 2019/20, we had Srbeny as third choice for the first half of the season and Idah for the second, and Idah started one league game.

This season we had Idah as third choice and again, he started once.

Our third choice has only started two games in three seasons, so adding a fourth doesn't really make much sense. 

I think our record signing this summer will be a new striker. Armstrong is the only one we have been strongly linked with and he would easily break our transfer record but I'm sure Webber and Farke have several on a list of targets in mind. 

My prediction is that we will go into this season  with 3 known strikers being Pukki and a new ST initially competing for the starting spot up top and Idah being 3rd choice as a bench option for both ST and LW/RW options. 

Exciting times! 

• Like 2

The aim isn't for a back up to Pukki is it? It's for someone to challenge him and/or replace him when he is injured or off form (and with prospect of permanently replacing in long term).

Hugill certainly doesnt fit that requirement and I personally doubt Idah does either (although I'd loved to be proved wrong).

We're not going to get a proven premier league goal scorer for the role (even if we could afford one!) BUT we might find a player who wants to play in the premier league and would relish the chance OR a player with a point to prove (which I expect was the gamble we took with Drmic).

I do feel we need to have another genuine alternative to Pukki which we haven't at the moment.

• Like 1

Idah is no doubt a fantastic talent, but his positional play is pretty awful. With him as current back up for Pukki (If Hugill goes) then we will need to look at a better option than him. I would prefer Idah to come on as a sub behind Pukki rather than player number 2 to him. Only my view of course.

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Four strikers in a squad for a team which plays 1 up front is just ridiculous, full stop.

The emergency striker if all three get injured is clearly Rashica who has played there a bit in the past, and that's if we don't use an U23 player like we did last season when Omotoye came off the bench a few times.

Also, there is month in the middle of the season when you can recall people from loan or bring in another player if you find yourself short.

Assume you want a fourth goalkeeper as well then? And four right backs? And four left backs? 

If we bring in a senior striker then one of Idah or Hugill will be playing elsewhere next season, whether on loan or perm. 

How often do you bring on a second goalkeeper when you're chasing a game?

I'm fairly certain that all formations include only one goalkeeper (and only one right back). Yet we may occasionally want two or even three strikers on the pitch. I'm happy for there to be some versatility between positions so a new signing who can play up front or as an AM like Rashica would be fine, but it would be foolish to let Hugill or Idah go at this point because they offer something different to Pukki.

Having three strikers and one in the reserves seems pretty sensible.

3 hours ago, Essjayess said:

This seems silly. City were known to have been scouting in the area where PLM played and from clearly City did their homework on the guy. He needed time to enquire  about Norwich so got info from at least two guys, also he had spoken to DF  and SW, then there is a certain amount of time for clubs and agents all to get things together...lastly, as Beth said, he was no doubt on the direct Nice to Norwich private jet, which was spotted and also Nice media released news almost same time as flight took off that PLM  was headed to Norwich. So...having a medical at Palace and doing a u-turn is just ridiculously inaccurate.

Not only that but he played for Nice in a pre-season game on Saturday.

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

While I generally agree, the reason Idah didn't start more was that he also got injured leaving us with Steiperman upfront at one point, 

True, but it doesn't really detract from my point. Stiepermann only played up front twice I believe, which means that we have needed a fourth striker on two occasions in the last three seasons. It certainly isn't worth wasting a wage on.

Can't we sign Phil Salt, he's a great striker.

Currently hitting the Pakistani attack all over the place.

Blast!

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

How often do you bring on a second goalkeeper when you're chasing a game?

I'm fairly certain that all formations include only one goalkeeper (and only one right back). Yet we may occasionally want two or even three strikers on the pitch. I'm happy for there to be some versatility between positions so a new signing who can play up front or as an AM like Rashica would be fine, but it would be foolish to let Hugill or Idah go at this point because they offer something different to Pukki.

Having three strikers and one in the reserves seems pretty sensible.

What do you mean "one in the reserves", as we don't have a reserve team, we have an U23 team.

You can play a few over aged players, but you saying you want Hugill to be playing for the U23's every week at the expense of the four strikers that they already have?

And I didn't say I'd "let Hugill or idah go at this point", one would be leaving after the arrival of a fourth striker. 

The fourth striker that you say we might need in an emergency is whichever one of the U23 strikers is closest to being ready, and last season that was Omotoye.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I know it’s only training but interesting watching the footage of the team pre season training. Idah sticking it in the net from all angles with a huge variety of finishes. Clearly some talent there. Not advocating him being our second striker but certainly can see him having a role off the bench next season. Personally I’m not convinced Hugill is up to it although he does seem a good character who is happy to play a supporting role and the type of which you probably need in a dressing room with a number of new players from abroad. 

In our last season in the prem we did not score enough goals. If we went 1-0 down you could not say a way back in.

We need Cantwell et al to support pukki and the team with goals. We need a few headed goals from centre halves when we get corners and free kicks. We need to have threats.

We need another striker who can challenge the GOAT now and for next season. Idah is a great option but we need to invest in someone who has it right now. I would not be surprised if we look to Europe again.

We have brought in a player today with the nouse of knowing how to play in the top flight of domestic competition, how to grind out results and was respected by former coaches and players. 

Now is the time to bring in another who has pedigree but more importantly has the best to come, yes expensive and awkward to get but let's not let pukki do it all on his own.

Hoping for a very exciting addition to our striker ranks, another midfielder and a centre half as minimum.

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I know it’s only training but interesting watching the footage of the team pre season training. Idah sticking it in the net from all angles with a huge variety of finishes. Clearly some talent there. Not advocating him being our second striker but certainly can see him having a role off the bench next season. Personally I’m not convinced Hugill is up to it although he does seem a good character who is happy to play a supporting role and the type of which you probably need in a dressing room with a number of new players from abroad. 

Not against having Hugill around, but money talks and if somebody is willing to give us our £5m back I feel we should snap their hand off.

We need to do something with Idah as he barely played last season, injury a reason.

Bringing in another striker to immediately challenge Pukki, by definition also provides Farke with a substitution option. Having Idah as 2nd choice seems to encourage Farke not to make a change, at least it did last season.

Perhaps Idah has progressed immeasurably since last season but I just feel we need a better option.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We need to do something with Idah as he barely played last season, injury a reason.

Bringing in another striker to immediately challenge Pukki, by definition also provides Farke with a substitution option. Having Idah as 2nd choice seems to encourage Farke not to make a change, at least it did last season.

Perhaps Idah has progressed immeasurably since last season but I just feel we need a better option.

He needs a full season of starting games somewhere, otherwise he's at risk of regressing. 

I'd keep Hugill for one more season for that reason, with the hope that Idah comes back ready for a proper breakthrough here.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

'We need to do something with Idah'

If it was not for the fact we are short on strikers I would say that I still think loaning him out to a League one club would be a great thing for him, I have no doubt in my mind many clubs in that divison would want him as a regular 1st choice starter and that he would tear up that divison and do fantastic

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He needs a full season of starting games somewhere, otherwise he's at risk of regressing. 

I'd keep Hugill for one more season for that reason, with the hope that Idah comes back ready for a proper breakthrough here.

I agree, Idah desperately needs a loan. Someone like Peterborough maybe, they seem to be able to develop good strikers.

He simply has to play this season if he’s going to develop and I can’t see him getting many minutes with us which would be a great shame for him and ultimately us. so for me, it’s keep hugill and add a genuine competitor for Pukki.

A reason why we didn't score enough goals last time was because we had three centre-halves out missing for most of it and defensive midfielders stepping into the centre of defence. It meant we had to totally change how we played and be more cautious, which we couldn't do with that team. The primary lesson we should take from that is make sure the spine of the team has enough back-up, so goal, central defence and central midfield. I'd say we're one centre-half light and one more defensive midfielder light.

Get that nailed down, and attacking will be somewhat easier as the team will be far better balanced. Cantwell's proven at this level, Rashica should be promising, Pukki's done well at this level hitting double figures despite a bust toe for a fair chunk of it.

I think some of us are noting how we struggled in the Premier League last time, which is a perfectly reasonable starting point, but forgetting how badly hamstrung we were for so much of it and the effect losing three centre-halves at once can have on the rest of the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Tbh if Hugill is prepared to take a wage here on the basis that he won't play very much then I would tend to agree. I'd be very concerned we head into next season with just Pukki as the every game 90 minute option.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I assume that is midfield all done. Assuming no-one else like Cantwell leaves. DF days he is technical which is what we need. 

I wouldn't think so. I still think we need a defensive midfielder unless, as some have suggested, we go to a 4-3-2-1. I'll be honest though, I doubt it.

Priority is Str, CB and DM now. Those three.

45 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I assume that is midfield all done. Assuming no-one else like Cantwell leaves. DF days he is technical which is what we need. 

Really hoping Cantwell stays, after Emi's loss losing Cantwel as well would be a major blow. Much as people can riff on his for having not helped us survive the drop last time in the prem.. He's one of a few in our squad who regardless of that have the 'regular Prem starter' experience for us, he knows what it's about and what it's like. We need him.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493ba899u4iek1p0ia8iivx

4 minutes ago, Jsim1986 said:

He isn't self isolating by the way he is currently in the The Norwich roof top 

IMG-20210713-WA0037.jpg

Is that his first bottle of wine, or 9th?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting that he's deleted his picture. Too bad once you upload something to the internet it's on the internet forever. Whoopses.

cheeky.jpg

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting that he's deleted his picture. Too bad once you upload something to the internet it's on the internet forever. Whoopses.

cheeky.jpg

Lol don't bother me it's my mate who wanted me to take down until he had left 🤣

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Four strikers in a squad for a team which plays 1 up front is just ridiculous, full stop.

The emergency striker if all three get injured is clearly Rashica who has played there a bit in the past, and that's if we don't use an U23 player like we did last season when Omotoye came off the bench a few times.

Also, there is month in the middle of the season when you can recall people from loan or bring in another player if you find yourself short.

Assume you want a fourth goalkeeper as well then? And four right backs? And four left backs? 

If we bring in a senior striker then one of Idah or Hugill will be playing elsewhere next season, whether on loan or perm. 

To be honest Id settle for just 2 left backs

17 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Big Sam Allardyce would be proud. 😉

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That isn’t Lees-Melou, it’s Christopher John - one of the first team coaches at Norwich. 

What is it with players looking like staff nowadays, Neeyul? Marco Stiepermann never left, he's just wearing Chris Domogalla's flesh suit. Now we've got this! 😄

• Haha 1