cambridgeshire canary

What can Norwich learn from watching England V Italy?

Well if you want to change the game don't make your substitutions too late!

5 at the back leaves you overun in midfield and no outlet.

5 hours ago, duke63 said:

Don’t let Southgate ever be City manager. 

I dont think you can blame Southgate entirely.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

I think advancing from a World Cup semi to a Euro’s final means we are learning year by year.

Reaching the final is a great achievement, the manager and team should be proud.

How do you work that one out though? 

You are putting a tournament with the 24 best national sides in one continent, on par with one which contained the 32 best teams in the world?

Euros had no Brazil, no Argentina, no Uruguay, no Mexico, no Colombia, and can add a couple of strong African sides as well (Nigeria, Senegal?). South Korea, Japan, USA, Ivory Coast are capable of good showings as well.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t sit back on 1.0 leads for 80 odd minutes against quality opposition.Croatia in the World Cup semi and now Italy have proved it doesn’t work. 

Don't confuse 'sitting back' with not being able to get anywhere near the ball because the opposition are just too good, which is what I saw one Italy got into their rhythm, they are a superb team. 

43 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I dont think you can blame Southgate entirely.

I was thinking more in terms of entertaining football. That criticism is entirely at his door.

4 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I was thinking more in terms of entertaining football. That criticism is entirely at his door.

Ah yeah fair comment I thought you meant pens and everything from yesterday. It hasn't been entertaining but it's tournament football for you sadly. 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Don't confuse 'sitting back' with not being able to get anywhere near the ball because the opposition are just too good, which is what I saw one Italy got into their rhythm, they are a superb team. 

They are very good but we showed far too much respect and hoped 1.0 would be enough. Italy have some very senior players at the back which could have been exploited in the 2nd half. 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sometimes you slip, ask Teemu

A slip can happen to anyone at anytime , and it would be less about technique   than it would be about playing surface,  type of studs etc. Though certain body shapes at point of contact  when taking a pen can lend themselves to  slipping due to a bad surface/ choice of studs. 

Two things I'd take from the game;

1) Don't make your subs too late. Was clear we needed someone like Grealish on to win us some territory/free kicks and break up play. I called for it about 5 minutes before we conceded, the change didn't come and low and behold there was the inevitable goal. To be fair to Southgate, the changes he did make nullified Italy for the most part after that, Henderson sitting much further forward than Rice for example.

2) Skipp can more than get into this England side in a couple of years if he keeps progressing. There's no doubt that Rice and Phillips did a sterling job in the middle of the park for England, but it did make me think that Skipp could easily step in for one of those two positions in the future IF he continues to develop well. If can add a bit of going forwards to his game then there's no reason why he won't be in there. Likewise with Aarons, looking forward to seeing what he can do this time around in the Prem, but TAA out of favourie/injured, and Reece James hardly setting the world alight, Aarons might have a chance if he can keep getting into the England setup