cambridgeshire canary

What can Norwich learn from watching England V Italy?

Must be a hell of a treat for all tactics makers and football analysts to watch the entire match thats for sure. 

And when it comes to a team full of fire and spirit vs a team who are the weaker side, younger and clearly a lot more nervous and less experienced I feel its a good one to watch when it comes to tactics of underdog v powerhouse, something which Norwich will be for most matches the upcoming season. 

Anything for Norwich to learn from watching the match?

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Must be a hell of a treat for all tactics makers and football analysts to watch the entire match thats for sure. 

And when it comes to a team full of fire and spirit vs a team who are the weaker side, younger and clearly a lot more nervous and less experienced I feel its a good one to watch when it comes to tactics of underdog v powerhouse, something which Norwich will be for most matches the upcoming season. 

Anything for Norwich to learn from watching the match?

The one thing we can learn is not to do crap run ups for pens 

• Like 1

If we have a penalty shootout, make sure your final penalty taker isn't a teenager who has never taken one at senior football?

Don't pick your favourites if their are much, much, much better options available?

• Like 2

In practice if you take a penalty and belt it you are in danger of injuring one of your own players. But that is by far the best way of taking a penalty. If it was delicately placed either side and I guessed right I had a good chance of stopping it. If it was belted the only chance I had was if it hit me!

That the quality of average Norwich City fan is much higher than England's and it should discourage degenerates' bandwagoning as much as possible.

Edit. clarification, meant fans present in stadiums, e.g. Carrow Road vs Webley. The distinction is important.

Edited by Upo

45 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

In practice if you take a penalty and belt it you are in danger of injuring one of your own players. But that is by far the best way of taking a penalty. If it was delicately placed either side and I guessed right I had a good chance of stopping it. If it was belted the only chance I had was if it hit me!

Belting it hard is also the best way of skying it over the bar, so need to factor that in. 

I’ve learnt you can start pointless posts about England just as easily as you do about Norwich

Give it a rest man!

Edited by Hardhouse44

49 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Belting it hard is also the best way of skying it over the bar, so need to factor that in. 

Not if you have decent technique. Basic skill.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not if you have decent technique. Basic skill.

Precisely. Knee over it. If your tekkers fails under pressure, then you choked on it.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Don’t sit back on 1.0 leads for 80 odd minutes against quality opposition.Croatia in the World Cup semi and now Italy have proved it doesn’t work. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Farkeball is better than Southgateball, so no, nothing to learn there.

It’s exactly the same

Penalty shoot out mentally is more akin to tennis and golf than football. Quitting  on a shot in either and you are toast. I hope our young players aren’t too damaged by the experience.

It has shown that you must not be a soft touch. Unfortunately, we don't appear to have a vocal leader on the pitch or an example setter. We need a Holt type with a bit of nasty in them.

Italy were no different to many other sides such as Portugal who are cynical first and foremost. And push the limit as far as they can.

I cannot see it happening with our squad but believe we should not go into games waiting to be pushed around.

42 minutes ago, Well b back said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Farkeball is better than Southgateball, so no, nothing to learn there.

It’s exactly the same

Really? If that is the case, England have a lot to learn.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Really? If that is the case, England have a lot to learn.

Yep I love my club and would love to see them in an FA cup final or qualifying for the Champions league. 
I think advancing from a World Cup semi to a Euro’s final means we are learning year by year. As you have told us many times before it’s winning at all costs, nothing else matters so I suppose based on that Southgate failed.

You are having a lot to say this morning on something you have been refusing to watch up until the final.

11 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Yep I love my club and would love to see them in an FA cup final or qualifying for the Champions league. 
I think advancing from a World Cup semi to a Euro’s final means we are learning year by year. As you have told us many times before it’s winning at all costs, nothing else matters so I suppose based on that Southgate failed.

You are having a lot to say this morning on something you have been refusing to watch up until the final.

I've paid more attention to this tournament than any other for a long time and I've seen most of the matches, including England.

Press, press & press more!  The Italians were phenomenal at that last night - never let England settle and Norwich will have to do that time & again in the EPL if they are to survive.

I think last night was the perfect demonstration of both the strengths and limitations of the back 3 with a double pivot.

On the one hand you have one wingback crossing for the other to score, unmarked. On the other hand you can see how the midfield battle can be lost but largely mitigated by the extra centre back making the defensive line harder to breach.

You can see how packing the defence can make you hard to score against, at the expense of the attackers becoming isolated and the ball frequently having to be hoofed clear because there's no bodies in the midfield to pass through.

You can see how easy it is to nullify wingbacks by pressing higher and how that can stop the whole team from moving forward.

I think our 4-2-3-1 is tactically superior when facing opposition of similar quality, but that this 3-4-2-1 could be effective at stifling some of the top teams.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

It’s exactly the same

I agree it very similar. 
as is the whole style of management. Lack of a plan B. Reactive subs rather than proactive active.

a very defensive approach to the central pairing in midfield. 
you can go on. Doubt the Farke sycophants will see it but that’s not having a go at either just maybe an insight in to the possibility they’ve both take their teams as far as they can.