Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Paul Mariner has died, RIP

Remember watching Paul Mariner when younger. Always seemed to cause problems for any team he faced especially aerially. Great header of the ball. Another sad loss to the football family.

He did play for Ipswich, but he also was a football coach at my school for some time and was a thoroughly good bloke. In fact, he said I had very good reflexes. It must be said, it was in a games lesson at school and our session was basically all the keen football players who couldn't get in the school team so he probably expected worse, but I do remember that day very clearly indeed.

Not sure what it is about Bolton but when we produce strikers, they're usually hard-as-nails ****s who can compete in the air with the best of them. Tommy Taylor, Nat Lofthouse, Phil Stant (at a somewhat lower level), Paul Mariner...

A sad day, I can only hope he didn't suffer too much.

Indeed a very good player, sad to see my childhood football memories of football fading away with the passing of legends. I used to love / hate Mariner, hated he wore a blue shirt, but loved his style of football, Emlyn Hughes was another legend I loved and was so sad to see go far too early.

RIP Paul Mariner.

Can't edit my post as the forum seems unstable at the moment, just wanted to correct Tommy Taylor (who was a Yorkshireman and not born in Bolton) in my post to Tommy Lawton (who, like Alan Ball, was born in Farnworth, part of Bolton), but never mind.

Surprised to see that he was ‘only’ 68 as he seemed to me to be from an era so long ago, and I’m 57!

Remember so much Banter aimed at him in the derbies in the 70's.  And he usually returned it with extras!  That horrible 5-0 loss at Poorman Road comes to mind, he destroyed us!  And all we had in return is a 40 minute rendition of "Mariner's a ****!" ad infinitum.  RIP Paul.

• Like 1

Never good when somebody is taken before their time and my goodness he inflicted some miserable defeats on us but RIP Paul Mariner.

That's very sad.

Whilst I probably gave him abuse on the football field, I always had a grudging admiration for him as a player, and what was a very good Ipswich team.

RIP Paul Mariner.

• Like 1

Saddened by the news of Paul Mariner's passing.....RIP......

Black armbands for the England squad tomorrow?.....

Great player, shame he played for those lot down the A140!

Taken too soon but then again achieved a lot in his shortened life. 

Paul was a very good footballer in a very good Ipswich side at that time. We had some great battles with them and no quarter spared. A sad loss and thoughts go out to his family. RIP Paul Mariner. Football's loss.

He was indeed a great player for them and if he was one of ours, we would have loved him. 

Mind you he got a lot of stick from our lot. 

RIP Paul Mariner