Sign in to follow this  
pearsos

Should England make any changes for the Final?

We need to come alive in the final third. For a  lot of our attacks v Denmark in the first three quarters of the game, we just seemed to slow the pace of the attack down (because we didn't have the numbers and didn't look lively). There is no doubt the likes of Chiellini are good (but if you move the ball at pace, his legs will not last 90/120 minutes of that sort of scrutiny, without a potentially crucial error in him.

If there are a few late injuries, do the rules allow for Todd, Max and Ben Gibson to be called in?🙂

Edited by Crabbycanary3

3 hours ago, WD40 said:

I absolutely agree he is a bomb scare at the back and our weakest link, but to replace him at this stage would be idiotic and suicidal. The keepers on the bench are not at his standard or match sharp.

I would like to see Phillips replaced as I have done for most of the tournament as I still don’t ‘get’ what he brings. Seems ok in defence and not that effective in attack. Henderson may be a better option there. 

Id take out Phillips for Henderson. Phillips looked lost at times vs the Danish midfield. What will the Italians do to him... 

It’s strange that people on here don’t rate Phillips, when I’ve thought he’s been very good through the tournament. Ironically, I just don’t get Rice as a player or what he brings to the team other than back/sideway passes. I’d replace him with Henderson for the game (and Skipp for the World Cup 😇). But then, it’s all subjective, isn’t it? 😁

Here’s hoping whoever is chosen that they have a superb match and bring their “A Game”. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 It’s coming home!! 🏆

Edited by Robornio

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sure, but the key bit is "perceived". I'll guarantee you every die-hard England fan will look for every vague hint of simulation by Italians, but not take English ones into account, or say "he had a right to go down".

I don't really think there is anything 'perceived' about it- there was a good piece on the Athletic breaking that game v Belgium down and pointing out the ball was in play for 9 minutes out of the final 21 due to Italian players faking injuries, making cynical fouls all over the pitch and canny use of substitutions. All in all pretty cynical and clearly a wider strategy.

I've always found the obsession with diving vs other forms of cheating in football a bit odd- why for instance is a dive for a penalty so much more scandalous than a defender cynically chopping down a breaking attacker? Or a player claiming a corner when he knows the ball came off him last?

We will have to acknowledge that we wont have as much of the ball and spend more time out of possession . I would think we will set up similarly to the Germany game .   

No way will Southgate drop Pickford, and I'd be surprised if he started Grealish. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I don't really think there is anything 'perceived' about it- there was a good piece on the Athletic breaking that game v Belgium down and pointing out the ball was in play for 9 minutes out of the final 21 due to Italian players faking injuries, making cynical fouls all over the pitch and canny use of substitutions. All in all pretty cynical and clearly a wider strategy.

I've always found the obsession with diving vs other forms of cheating in football a bit odd- why for instance is a dive for a penalty so much more scandalous than a defender cynically chopping down a breaking attacker? Or a player claiming a corner when he knows the ball came off him last?

My perception comment was more about how players coming together can be perceived as fouls or not. Also, re. the example match you provide, timewasting / canny use of substitutions will be a major part of that time in play - and isn't it usually the case that in a 90-minute match the ball is only in play for about 60 anyway? If so then 9 from 21 isn't a huge degree lower than that.

Football is a contact sport, so tackles are expected to go in and not all of them will be perfectly timed. Furthermore, a dive for a penalty is naturally more instantly game-changing as there's far more chance of a goal. Corners or throw-ins are easier to defend. A penalty is literally a free, unpressured shot on goal with no-one near you on impact and it goes in nearly all the time.

Stands to reason that cheating to gain one of those gets more flak than any other. 

Fair to say I would like to see some more of Sancho or Grealish, but why change what is a winning team?

That and subbing them on late when the opposition is tired has also worked well

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is strange that people that watch football as much as they do, have no sense of how cultural this side of football is. Over the last few years there has been such a change, and an acceptance of it , that it has its own , more accepted , description. 

Some years ago a player that "dived" would not have enjoyed the private congratulations of his coaches, managers and fans that they now have. Feigning injury would have been slaughtered in the dressing room, but is now considered "game management". Yes players have always dived , but not to the extent that now "contact" appears in the Laws of the game , complete with a narrative that a player is entitled to go fall to the floor. 20 years ago , no such entitlement existed. 

Remember the reaction to Klinsmann ? One of the first to enjoy adulation/ridicule to the point where he used it as a goal celebration when he came to Spurs. 

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Remember the reaction to Klinsmann ? One of the first to enjoy adulation/ridicule to the point where he used it as a goal celebration when he came to Spurs. 

I remember that clearly.  He endeared himself to a lot of people with that dive/slide celebration. There was so much talk before his arrival about his diving that he had to respond somehow, and so much better to do it the way he did , rather than some bland explanation/denial/whinge in the papers.

Diving is sickening when its the opposition, embarrassing when its your own players. Drawing fouls is different, its a valid skill imho.

48 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I remember that clearly.  He endeared himself to a lot of people with that dive/slide celebration. There was so much talk before his arrival about his diving that he had to respond somehow, and so much better to do it the way he did , rather than some bland explanation/denial/whinge in the papers.

Agreed . And he continues to speak well as a pundit 

Bring in Bob the Builder for Pickford - and put a block wall right in front of our goal, as that's the only way I can see us keeping the Italians out. If Denmark had any decent players they'd have beaten us given how many times they broke and had more attackers than we had defenders.

Only Person i would look at is Mount is he really doing Enough ? 

Maybe swap For Grealish The italian defenders would kick lumps out of him and might get lucky with a red card 

subs i think when Saka starts to faded like for like sancho 

i think Pace up front is Key yes Italians are world Class but CB'S are getting on 36 & 34 and they dont want pace around them for the full 90mins thats for sure  

i Think Philips has been one of Englands best players Rarely gives the ball away breaks up play great Partnership with Rice 

those two are worth a Fortune now ! 

31 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Only Person i would look at is Mount is he really doing Enough ? 

Maybe swap For Grealish The italian defenders would kick lumps out of him and might get lucky with a red card 

subs i think when Saka starts to faded like for like sancho 

i think Pace up front is Key yes Italians are world Class but CB'S are getting on 36 & 34 and they dont want pace around them for the full 90mins thats for sure  

i Think Philips has been one of Englands best players Rarely gives the ball away breaks up play great Partnership with Rice 

those two are worth a Fortune now ! 

Pace down the wings and through the middle is very important, Italys strongest players are their centrebacks and there wingers/striker. There middle of somewhat weak and both of their fullbacks arent the best

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pace down the wings and through the middle is very important, Italys strongest players are their centrebacks and there wingers/striker. There middle of somewhat weak and both of their fullbacks arent the best

I'd say Italy's midfield is their strength, to be honest. Aside from the goalkeeper, I'd say it's probably the only area in which they're slightly stronger than England.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fair to say I would like to see some more of Sancho or Grealish, but why change what is a winning team?

That and subbing them on late when the opposition is tired has also worked well

Unfortunately a lot of people are not getting why Sacha plays in certain games. For Arsenal he often plays as a wing back so that means we can start with a back 4 and if needed at anytime we can switch to a back 3 with wing backs. Individually he may or may not be better than Sancho or Grealish or even Foden ( down to personal opinions ) but would you want any of those 3 playing as wing backs we would be murdered. I partly expect a back four Sunday with Sancho starting, to try and keep 1. their wingers pinned back 2. to stop their wingers having any space in behind our defence. If there is any likelihood we may need to switch to a back 3 Sacha will play, but rest assured whoever plays will give 100 % for their country. 
If we start with a back 5 expect Trippier to play.