Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Anyone else have a nasty feeling about tonight?

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

May be an image of american football, ball and text that says "The last time I was this nervous about a semi, I was watching broke back mountain"

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

May be an image of american football, ball and text that says "The last time I was this nervous about a semi, I was watching broke back mountain"

Are people  bit scared to admit that's funny?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Who knows. Maybe people just have a different sense of humour to you?

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Who knows. Maybe people just have a different sense of humour to you?

You probably right,  i mean,  it's just not the kind of thing a real man would joke about is it?

With this squad I am confident we could beat anyone in the World. Whether the application/tactics/belief/opposition/referee yada yada is spot on, remains to be seen. That's football as we all know. Death and taxes and all that.

Nothing wrong in installing belief in oneself. If message boards/SM/MSM portray 'arrogance' then you can be sure that Southgate and his backroom team are totally aware of it and will apply the necessary measures to each player to try and avoid that. There's only so much of that, that you can do. It's down to the players to make that difference

P.S  Is there anyone else on here who attended the last (and only) time England lost to Denmark , at Wembley, in the European Championships (1983)? I did, but don't worry I am not going tonight 🙂 

IF we Play like we did Against Germany with freedom then we look unstoppable BUT  if southgate tries to be All safe again i worry 

he Reminds me of Chris Hughton in the Championship he plays Great football and wins in the PL he goes all Defensive and is like a Rabbit in the headlights and forgets the tactics that got him in the Great position in the first place 

I think it will be 2-0. After we score the first the Danes will come out to equalise and we will have some edgy moments  but then catch them on the break for our second, also former canary Harry Kane to score.

10 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

With this squad I am confident we could beat anyone in the World. Whether the application/tactics/belief/opposition/referee yada yada is spot on, remains to be seen. That's football as we all know. Death and taxes and all that.

Nothing wrong in installing belief in oneself. If message boards/SM/MSM portray 'arrogance' then you can be sure that Southgate and his backroom team are totally aware of it and will apply the necessary measures to each player to try and avoid that. There's only so much of that, that you can do. It's down to the players to make that difference

P.S  Is there anyone else on here who attended the last (and only) time England lost to Denmark , at Wembley, in the European Championships (1983)? I did, but don't worry I am not going tonight 🙂 

No, but I was at Wembley when England beat Portugal 2-1 in the 1966 World Cup semi-final (so the only time they have got to a major final) and I won't be there tonight, so that obviously means...actually I have no idea what that means... 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can see the Danes coming out with the same passion as Scotland did and making it difficult for the first 45, maybe getting one, given they have more quality than the Scots. I do think however that second half, given the fact we have less minutes in our legs and a stronger bench that we will close the deal and I reckon 2-1 to us in normal time with the 2nd half making it look more comfortable than it actually was!

I hope it's normal time anyway as my liver has taken a battering.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

You probably right,  i mean,  it's just not the kind of thing a real man would joke about is it?

tenor (5).gif

• Like 1

I think Gareth will be very good at keeping the players grounded, and if anything we just need to point back to Croatia a few years ago to know exactly what getting ahead of yourself can do.

It is going to be a far more difficult game than Ukraine, where we also benefited from getting an early goal. I feel the Danes will make us work a lot harder for it, but still think we have enough quality to win this one. 

It's just, it's England isn't it, so you can't help but feel a bit of doubt

Make mine a double. 😉

As I like to quip, real (wo)men couldn't care less about what society says real (wo)men should do.

• Like 1

Well, I was there in '96 when we lost to Germany on pens in the SF.  The flag which I bought on the day has (for the first time ever for a major tournament) remained in the loft during this one so it's definitely staying put for tonight and Sunday (if we beat Denmark).  However, if we lose I will claim Danish ancestry (which originally bought my rampaging family to these shores over 1000 years ago). 

2 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Well, I was there in '96 when we lost to Germany on pens in the SF.  The flag which I bought on the day has (for the first time ever for a major tournament) remained in the loft during this one so it's definitely staying put for tonight and Sunday (if we beat Denmark).  However, if we lose I will claim Danish ancestry (which originally bought my rampaging family to these shores over 1000 years ago). 

Have you inherited your family's rampaging traits LH?

6 hours ago, smooth said:

There was an interesting article where the Croatian players noted that in 2014 that the media and noise of England are in the final egged them on to beat England in the semi final.

I think it was the chanting of footballs coming home and they said 'hey you have to get through us first

I think this is Croatia reinventing history . I don’t recall any of the players being “arrogant” - if a few media outlets were overly optimistic then it’s no different to any nation at any international tournament . 
As for the chanting at a match - just remind me of the last time any fans sang “well let’s all have a jolly good game , and may the best team win!” 

If England win it will result in an outpouring of nationalism? Do England have a unique position ? Unlike the Germans , Spanish or French when they won trophies ? Or the Argentinians ? 

Even the Scots after their famous 0.0 victory over us got very slightly kilt-wearingly nationalistic didn’t they ? 

I think Southgate and his squad will have learned a lot from that Croatia game. Football is very hard to forecast as we all know, but England have the better players and 8 times out of 10 we win.

A bit nervy, but a 2-0 win for me.

I'm not sure about the nationalistic thing, even if we do win. Italy look like a tough team and I think most people will think we would be the underdogs if we get through.

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I think Southgate and his squad will have learned a lot from that Croatia game. Football is very hard to forecast as we all know, but England have the better players and 8 times out of 10 we win.

A bit nervy, but a 2-0 win for me.

I'm not sure about the nationalistic thing, even if we do win. Italy look like a tough team and I think most people will think we would be the underdogs if we get through.

And apart from anything else Italy have the best national anthem in the world so they obviously deserve to win! 😀

I hope we will win!

But I think a few have been overconfident and it's like we don't even have to play the Danes , we will be in the final... I think we will have to treat this team with a lot of respect and we will have to be focussed. If we are, we will beat Denmark imo.

Italy is another matter... I think the Italians have been the best team at this tournament on the whole. Spain deserved the win yesterday , but these Italians got it done again. 

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, but I was at Wembley when England beat Portugal 2-1 in the 1966 World Cup semi-final (so the only time they have got to a major final) and I won't be there tonight, so that obviously means...actually I have no idea what that means... 🤓

You mean you were not one of the 450,000 people who were at Wembley the day we won the World Cup? I’ve met at least 10 people in my life who were there to witness the match  at least 3 of whom weren’t actually born ! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

And apart from anything else Italy have the best national anthem in the world so they obviously deserve to win! 😀

Gotta disagree there, my preference is Poland's anthem. Honourable mentions to Mexico and Indonesia.

(Incidentally, for those who like meandering around YouTube, there's a channel from L'Orchestra Cinematique, who basically do "epic" movie soundtrack-style representations of a lot of songs, and indeed a fair few national anthems. Their Indonesia one is absolutely superb.)

I hope and pray we pull it off tonight as my hunch of 3 weeks ago to get 2 tickets for the final would have been correct and will pay off. 🤞

Denmark could turn us over but I can’t see it happening. A semi final at home is all you can ask for and I’d give England a minimum 70% chance of qualifying tonight. 3.1 win with a Kane brace. 

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Gotta disagree there, my preference is Poland's anthem. Honourable mentions to Mexico and Indonesia.

(Incidentally, for those who like meandering around YouTube, there's a channel from L'Orchestra Cinematique, who basically do "epic" movie soundtrack-style representations of a lot of songs, and indeed a fair few national anthems. Their Indonesia one is absolutely superb.)

It's all about opinions TGS!

Out of curiosity I have googled the indonesian anthem, and I just felt I was in North Korea 🙂

Never have got the love in for the Italian anthem. I think it is too rushed and because the Italians are deemed as passionate and emotional people, that it adds weight to the tuuuuunne. Nah.

For hairs on the back of your neck, the Welsh one tops the lot for me every single time

From an 'on paper' standpoint England does have a stronger team, but at the end of the day we all know that this is England and so it never quite works out that way- I have no doubt in my mind we should have at least bagged a goal against Scotland for instance.

And of course, I'm sure we remember the days when we had Beckham, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Ferdinand etc all in their prime and all on the same team and they did absolutely **** all for us..

It's the hope that always gets you in the end though. Here's hoping we win. God I just want to watch England make it to a final..

25 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

It's all about opinions TGS!

Out of curiosity I have googled the indonesian anthem, and I just felt I was in North Korea 🙂

Never have got the love in for the Italian anthem. I think it is too rushed and because the Italians are deemed as passionate and emotional people, that it adds weight to the tuuuuunne. Nah.

For hairs on the back of your neck, the Welsh one tops the lot for me every single time

Totally agree re. opinion, just Lord said the Italian was best. I do think Italy has a good anthem lyrically as well as musically, but Poland's is more poignant by the fact the country was no longer on the map when the original lyrics were written - it had been wiped off the map of Europe in 1795 in the Partitions of Poland between the Prussian, Austro-Hungarian and Russian Empires, and the original words were written by an emigre in Italy two years later.

Speaking of anthems, North Korea is a good one as well (assuming it was Aegukka). I expected a hell of a lot worse.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I think we forget  that the players are professional  and however overly optimistic or pessimistic  fans may be, they remain confident  in their own ability without being arrogant.

They have all had more disappointment  and failures than success, and many played in that SF v Croatia so there will be no over confidence.

It's football, any team can win  on the day regardless of quality. I'm confident, but that doesn't stop me switching  between 3-1 win and loss on pens