Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Anyone else have a nasty feeling about tonight?

I've now had 3 people ask me where I'm going to watch the final on Sunday. I hope this feeling of optimism isn't reaching the players. I know England should win but Denmark are no mugs. 

There was an interesting article where the Croatian players noted that in 2014 that the media and noise of England are in the final egged them on to beat England in the semi final.

I think it was the chanting of footballs coming home and they said 'hey you have to get through us first

I can certainly see teams always upping themselves for England in any case but the type of talk and expectation that follows England is also going to get to other nations.  

Denmark are on a journey here, hard working, emotion behind them and capable. England know the journey to here has been fortunate as was the 2014 world Cup if I remember correctly.

Going to be a good game, hopefully both are not too cagey from the off.

11 minutes ago, smooth said:

There was an interesting article where the Croatian players noted that in 2014 that the media and noise of England are in the final egged them on to beat England in the semi final.

I think it was the chanting of footballs coming home and they said 'hey you have to get through us first

I can certainly see teams always upping themselves for England in any case but the type of talk and expectation that follows England is also going to get to other nations.  

Denmark are on a journey here, hard working, emotion behind them and capable. England know the journey to here has been fortunate as was the 2014 world Cup if I remember correctly.

Going to be a good game, hopefully both are not too cagey from the off.

I don't think you do " remember correctly"....It was 2018 not 2014 !

Edited by MORDENCANARY
Spelling

Fortunate is a bit of an understatement but that's not England's fault. From a football point of view I would have liked to see the best 8 teams in the quarter finals. UEFA need to look at what has happened and do it better in future. 

• Like 1

Yes, we should have a good enough team to beat Denmark.

But end of the day if there is one thing I have learned from watching England my whole life it's to always expect disappointment 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've now had 3 people ask me where I'm going to watch the final on Sunday. I hope this feeling of optimism isn't reaching the players. I know England should win but Denmark are no mugs. 

To be honest I was worried when in the post match press after the Germany match... Southgate spent several minutes talking about how good Sweden are, before they'd played Ukraine. Perhaps that worked by making Sweden feel over confident!

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Fortunate is a bit of an understatement but that's not England's fault. From a football point of view I would have liked to see the best 8 teams in the quarter finals. UEFA need to look at what has happened and do it better in future. 

Eh? No.... They should never attempt to engineer nothing of the sort. They'll have funny ideas about who the 'best 8' are, like the ESL who invited Spurs!

Croatia in a final and Greece winning it in modern history. It's UEFA's fault that Belgium have blown their chances by giving their golden generation to Roberto Martinez is it? Ha. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Eh? No.... They should never attempt to engineer nothing of the sort. They'll have funny ideas about who the 'best 8' are, like the ESL who invited Spurs!

Croatia in a final and Greece winning it in modern history. It's UEFA's fault that Belgium have blown their chances by giving their golden generation to Roberto Martinez is it? Ha. 

Exactly this. Its hardly UEFA to blame for France and Germany getting knocked out.

Today is the first time I've felt nervous before a game, even the Germany game I had no doubts we'd win it. Just something about the Danes which reminds me of '92

50 minutes ago, MORDENCANARY said:

I don't think you do " remember correctly"....It was 2018 not 2014 !

Ha ha I was pushing back in my mind ha ha

You have to take the chances that present themselves. 

I'm supporting with hope with hope we do it. 

Other than that... It over to the gods of football..... 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yeah, the arrogance already is a bit, well, arrogant! My hopes for winning the thing went down considerably as soon as I saw the ‘it’s coming home’ suit being made for Gareth Southgate! Kaspar Schmeichel did make me laugh though, didn’t he say ‘It’s coming home? It’s never actually been home has it?’ Ha ha

• Like 2

Yeah lots of talk yesterday about who we'd rather play in the final before we're even there got me a touch worried.

Personally I always prefer to remain optimistic - but a lifetime supporting Norwich and England can put the dampers on a little bit.

More than that, I have never in my lifetime seen England get past the semi finals... Its not so much that I expect to lose, but more that I have never seen us win at this stage... Not sure if that makes any sense. 

No, I feel strangely confident about tonight. 2-0 in normal time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

No, I feel strangely confident about tonight. 2-0 in normal time.

Fuzzar I was thoroughly enjoying a nice little doom laden coffee until you showed up cheers mate

• Haha 2

Really enjoyed this tournament, been great seeing fans back. Desperate for us to make the final but we shouldn't be making any assumptions.

56 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yeah, the arrogance already is a bit, well, arrogant! My hopes for winning the thing went down considerably as soon as I saw the ‘it’s coming home’ suit being made for Gareth Southgate! Kaspar Schmeichel did make me laugh though, didn’t he say ‘It’s coming home? It’s never actually been home has it?’ Ha ha

Yeah he totally blitzed the reporter there! 🤣

He then said,

"Well we won in 1966!"

To which Kaspar replied

"Wasn't that the World Cup?!" 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah he totally blitzed the reporter there! 🤣

He then said,

"Well we won in 1966!"

To which Kaspar replied

"Wasn't that the World Cup?!" 🤣

Yeah, football allegiance aside, his banter did make me laugh, Bob - ‘it’s never actually been home has it?’ 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

*Complete pedant alert*

"It's coming home" was a reference to the sport itself returning to England as opposed to the trophy, ergo by having the semis and final at Wembley, football already has come home 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

*Complete pedant alert*

"It's coming home" was a reference to the sport itself returning to England as opposed to the trophy, ergo by having the semis and final at Wembley, football already has come home 🙂

Yep, ha ha, I did point this out to someone yesterday Wacky that the phrase came about as a reference to the origin of the beautiful game rather than where the trophies belong, but KS’s cheeky pop still made me laugh anyway - a good natured bit of banter between rivals in football is always a good thing in my eyes buddy!

56 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I fear that England will win and precipitate  a massive  wave of Tubthumping nationalism .

Not sure why mainly the English, and it’s mainly a class thing, are so scared of English nationalism. Yes there is a moron minority who will inevitably do something stupid, but they are always there, the National team winning hasn’t created them and not sure why we have to let them ruin it for the rest of us. 

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'll be watching the final at home on Sunday with my family.

Whether England will be playing is another matter !!!

• Like 1

Just put my bet on Denmark to win, so feeling more confident now!  It works with Norwich...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

I fear that England will win and precipitate  a massive  wave of Tubthumping nationalism .

Yeah, but that will be offset by England being managed by Wokey McWokeface.

• Haha 1

Denmark have form of beating England at Wembley albeit with us having Maquire sent off early on. Those things can happen and we haven't yet had a moment of drama with a sending off this tournament.

All of the hype is from the media and the players will know to take nothing for granted. 

I think we will see a very cagey England tonight. 1-0 or penalties victory for England.

26 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

*Complete pedant alert*

Good article on The Athletic about the song and how the lyrics are absolutely about the hope in the face of continual failure. But that message gets lost in the nationalist tub-thumping which we see in parts of the media, and it’s that latter aspect that tends to get seen by our opponents.

46 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not sure why mainly the English, and it’s mainly a class thing, are so scared of English nationalism. Yes there is a moron minority who will inevitably do something stupid, but they are always there, the National team winning hasn’t created them and not sure why we have to let them ruin it for the rest of us. 

My problem is with nationalism full stop. Im definitely  not scared of it.... its a bit embarrassing  really.English, Chinese,  outer Mongolian  , it matters not.

Yeah, a bit of yahooing, but a win in the Euros doesn't change much, in fact  I'd go as far as to say its a distraction from what really matters.

Edited by wcorkcanary