BigFish

Seems like the Tories don't want football to come home

I can imagine Lady Nugee....ahem err..... The Right (but Left) Honorable Emily Thornberry will be tearing her gold filled teeth out at the sight of all these irritating red an' white things dotted everywhere in the Country.....I bet there's a few on here that dislike it as well..... In Class Obsessed Britain, 'White Van Man' Tweet Causes MP's Resignation

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Football brings us together far more than it divides us, and I’m a Taff but will be behind the English lads today, whether they kneel or not I really am not bothered. Enjoy the game 👍

Iechyd da.👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I can imagine Lady Nugee....ahem err..... The Right (but Left) Honorable Emily Thornberry will be tearing her gold filled teeth out at the sight of all these irritating red an' white things dotted everywhere in the Country.....I bet there's a few on here that dislike it as well..... In Class Obsessed Britain, 'White Van Man' Tweet Causes MP's Resignation

Nope! I'm sure most of us will see it for exactly what it is, a display of support for the team we unite behind, just like when we wear our City shirts. I just dislike the people who try to use the display of the flag as a way of inciting division. A bit like your not very mellow post.

This thread is a a depressing read as views reflect the extremes. The main problem I have with wokeism is the vilification of any viewpoint no matter how mild from that of the woke view. This is equally true of extremist right wing viewpoints.

For example a person born with a penis is male and with a vagina is female. This is a biological truism. However if someone of either birth sex fells more comfortable and therefore happy in their life identifying as the opposite gender then good for them. It is none of my business and if they prefer them/they rather than him/ her again  why see it as a problem. However the advent of cancel culture for daring to have an opposing view is insidious as it denies the right to freedom of thought and subsequently speech.

Universities should be institutions where opposing views are heard and argued in a rational and respectful manner. Was it Descartes who stated that he might disagree with a person’s opinion but would defend their right to hold it to his death? This is the fundamental essence if freedom . Putting your fingers in your ears and saying the other person has no right to be heard is the route to the extremist factions of the right or left. 

Children shouldn’t pay for the sins of their fathers, Equally we today shouldn’t be claiming anything good about our country today is only because of our imperialist pass and we should be on our knees in sackcloth and ashes begging forgiveness. This does nothing to help those sections of our society that need our support to get it. Instead I feel we should focus on what the needs of today are and how we can address these to the benefit of us all.

I fear that we are becoming an increasingly intolerant country that will lead only to greater polarisations within communities to the detriment if us all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

This thread is a a depressing read as views reflect the extremes. The main problem I have with wokeism is the vilification of any viewpoint no matter how mild from that of the woke view. This is equally true of extremist right wing viewpoints.

For example a person born with a penis is male and with a vagina is female. This is a biological truism. However if someone of either birth sex fells more comfortable and therefore happy in their life identifying as the opposite gender then good for them. It is none of my business and if they prefer them/they rather than him/ her again  why see it as a problem. However the advent of cancel culture for daring to have an opposing view is insidious as it denies the right to freedom of thought and subsequently speech.

Universities should be institutions where opposing views are heard and argued in a rational and respectful manner. Was it Descartes who stated that he might disagree with a person’s opinion but would defend their right to hold it to his death? This is the fundamental essence if freedom . Putting your fingers in your ears and saying the other person has no right to be heard is the route to the extremist factions of the right or left. 

Children shouldn’t pay for the sins of their fathers, Equally we today shouldn’t be claiming anything good about our country today is only because of our imperialist pass and we should be on our knees in sackcloth and ashes begging forgiveness. This does nothing to help those sections of our society that need our support to get it. Instead I feel we should focus on what the needs of today are and how we can address these to the benefit of us all.

I fear that we are becoming an increasingly intolerant country that will lead only to greater polarisations within communities to the detriment if us all. 

I don’t think there’s anything extreme in supporting players who are making a point of standing up to discrimination.

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Nothing wrong with the flag, but the Doric columns on that property.... disgraceful!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

🤔😀

Not wanting to defend Farage and his viewpoint, because I don’t agree with what he’s saying, but that’s not hypocritical? I’m not sure I understand the point.

Not liking the England manager and his views and wanting England to win are not really antithetical.

Theres plenty of Norwich managers I’ve disliked but I’ve still wanted Norwich to win every game they’ve ever played regardless of who’s in charge and who’s on the field. The club is bigger than any individual involved in it, England is exactly the same.

Edited by Monty13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not wanting to defend Farage and his viewpoint, because I don’t agree with what he’s saying, but that’s not hypocritical? I’m not sure I understand the point.

Not liking the England manager and his views and wanting England to win are not really antithetical.

Theres plenty of Norwich managers I’ve disliked but I’ve still wanted Norwich to win every game they’ve ever played regardless of who’s in charge and who’s on the field. The club is bigger than any individual involved in it, England is exactly the same.

I can't disagree with that at all. I can pretty much guarantee that nobody honestly liked Hughton's football in the second season but we carried on supporting him because he was in charge of our team.

My amusement is at the grifters that jump from one extreme bandwagon to the other, more than likely because it is popular rather than for any sporting reasons. There's loads of them at it these last few weeks and I'd put money on it none of them have ever followed football in their lives.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Nope! I'm sure most of us will see it for exactly what it is, a display of support for the team we unite behind, just like when we wear our City shirts. I just dislike the people who try to use the display of the flag as a way of inciting division. A bit like your not very mellow post.

You mean people like Lady Nugee then?.....

29 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nothing wrong with the flag, but the Doric columns on that property.... disgraceful!

But the white Van's nice and clean.....

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I bet there's a few on here that dislike it as well..... 

All those right-wingers who vowed to boycott the England  team for being too anti-racist for a start!

Just now, Badger said:

All those right-wingers who vowed to boycott the England  team for being too anti-racist for a start!

I'm certainly not boycotting the England team....Will you be supporting our National side?.....

46 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I don’t think there’s anything extreme in supporting players who are making a point of standing up to discrimination.

I agree just as it’s not extreme to oppose discrimination by not taking the knee.  Unfortunately too many see not taking the knee as being pro racism etc rather than a personal choice all are free to make. Again it’s about tolerance and respect for the individual’s choice.

30 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I'm certainly not boycotting the England team....Will you be supporting our National side?.....

Of course I will - nobody has ever accused me of being right-wing! 😀

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I agree just as it’s not extreme to oppose discrimination by not taking the knee.  Unfortunately too many see not taking the knee as being pro racism etc rather than a personal choice all are free to make. Again it’s about tolerance and respect for the individual’s choice.

I haven’t heard or read anyone recently saying that  any player not taking the knee must be racist-not since Christoph Zimmerman did it in fact-but maybe I’ve missed that. But I have read lots of attempts at guilt transference, trying to make people feel guilty for saying that they oppose discrimination. I wonder what those people feel guilty about?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Will the National Front boycott the side?

27 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Unfortunately too many see not taking the knee as being pro racism etc rather than a personal choice all are free to make. Again it’s about tolerance and respect for the individual’s choice.

Oooh the irony of your last sentence!

The whole point is that nobody has been asked to take the knee at football matches - players have exercised "the personal choices that we are all free to make."

The problem is that the right-wing boo boys chose not to show the "tolerance and respect for the individuals choice." Instead, of showing said tolerance they decided to boo the anti-racist gesture. with much support of more mainstream right-wingers including several Tory MPs, and sections of the right-wing press!

Whither tolerance and respect? Indeed wither tolerance and respect!

Unless you are suggesting that booing is an indication of tolerance and respect 🥴

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Will the National Front boycott the side?

I was once chased by them when I was a very young teen when one spotted my "Rock Against Rac ism" pin badge on my Levi jacket lapel....Scary times.....

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

But the white Van's nice and clean.....

I'll bet it's a grade-A sh-i-tfest inside!

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Oooh the irony of your last sentence!

The whole point is that nobody has been asked to take the knee at football matches - players have exercised "the personal choices that we are all free to make."

The problem is that the right-wing boo boys chose not to show the "tolerance and respect for the individuals choice." Instead, of showing said tolerance they decided to boo the anti-racist gesture. with much support of more mainstream right-wingers including several Tory MPs, and sections of the right-wing press!

Whither tolerance and respect? Indeed wither tolerance and respect!

Unless you are suggesting that booing is an indication of tolerance and respect 🥴

I totally agree that right wing boo boys are an intolerant bunch who embarrass our country as do all who boo other nations’ anthems. The irony of your response is that you do not feel or say the same about the extreme left wing bigots who hold our country in contempt and always see themselves as victims of other peoples actions or failings rather than their own. You might want the utopia of the Democratic (😂) Peoples Republic of North Korea to be visited upon us but most of the rest of us don’t.

Are there any centrists on here? I just want to watch the football with them. Take the knee, not boo the Italian anthem and use the gents if you are a bloke.

5 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Are there any centrists on here? I just want to watch the football with them. Take the knee, not boo the Italian anthem and use the gents if you are a bloke.

Don’t say that on here Bristol 😉

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 04:47, Badger said:

They also sing the national Anthem - is that virtue signalling too?

I buy and wear a poppy near Remembrance Day - virtue signalling?

Bow my head in prayer - virtue signalling?

Give up my seat to old people on the bus - virtue signalling?

What a horrible world you inhabit! 🥴

If you are putting on a show as you pray, then yes it is virtue signalling same as kneeling in front of a crowd who came to watch a game. 

Do you put on a show when you give up your seat, or do it quietly? 

As for the other things, you are mixing up symbolism with virtue signalling. 

3 minutes ago, Too Bad said:

If you are putting on a show as you pray, then yes it is virtue signalling 

Let the Almighty be the judge of that my son!!

9 hours ago, BigFish said:

The question is will you guys be supporting the England team tonight?

They seem the complete antithesis of everything you believe and will be proudly taking the knee, they reflect modern progressive values, multiculturalism, immigration and diversity.

I can say I will proudly support them and what they stand for.

Can you?

Again, it's the self loathing and hypocrisy posing as virtue that I oppose. I'd prefer they don't do it but am very amused when they do. Like last month at the G7, the leaders were tapping elbows as a greeting to  supposedly avoid covid, and 30 minutes later they are shaking hands and embracing. It was an empty gesture meant for the gullible. So is kneeling. It does not bring awareness to something that we're all aware of and that gets way overplayed when it does happen.