Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The Adam Armstrong saga takes a twist

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Selling Ings for big money won't be that easy for Southampton - he's 29 this month and has a dodgy injury record to say the least. He says he wants to test himself at a higher level. Maybe Spurs as a short term replacement for Kane? Or Leicester maybe? Otherwise I don't easily see a bigger team with a vacancy.

I can see Ings going to Man City. Aguero has gone, Ings won't demand huge wages, cost crazy money or insist on starting and he fills a homegrown slot for the Champions League.

He'd be a cheap stop gap, especially if they have longer term plans to go after Haaland.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I can see them hugely overplaying their hand and ending up having to sell him for about £5m in January if they keep demanding £20m

Oh definitely. With the Venkeys in charge the last thing I would expect is a sensible plan or any kind of strategy. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

As Bethnal suggests, Idah is the wild card in all this. Farke and Co have a very strong track record if knowing when a player is ready to step up so if they think he's the player to do it then we'll just have to trust. Can't say I've see  enough from him yet but then I don't see them train.

Agree in that I've not personally seen enough in Idah to see him as genuinely challenging Pukki. It would have to be a similar situation to Cantwell who after that pre season before the Prem season seemed to thrive at the top level all of a sudden. Like you say, Farke tends to get that bit right. I guess we're also prioritising other positions first and then seeing what's left over.

I wonder what the general consensus on Adam Armstrong is on here? Is he the striker you’d like to see come in? Now don’t get me wrong, he scored a fantastic amount of goals in the Championship last season, but a quick watch of those goals on a YouTube compilation left me massively underwhelmed. Can’t take away he looked clinical enough but he kind of reminded me of Gary Hooper playing for Celtic. Poor quality defending and poachers goals that lacked much variety. I didn’t see any serious technique there that made me think he will be capable of doing as much damage to Premier League level defenders to be honest. Not saying he’s a bad player or anything, but definitely don’t think he’s a £20mil striker. I’m hoping we’re looking elsewhere, and that Wikipedia is indeed correct ha ha

F8B41DA8-E7C4-40D9-816A-7CE5EA5E6687.png

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

I wonder what the general consensus on Adam Armstrong is on here? Is he the striker you’d like to see come in? Now don’t get me wrong, he scored a fantastic amount of goals in the Championship last season, but a quick watch of those goals on a YouTube compilation left me massively underwhelmed. Can’t take away he looked clinical enough but he kind of reminded me of Gary Hooper playing for Celtic. Poor quality defending and poachers goals that lacked much variety. I didn’t see any serious technique there that made me think he will be capable of doing as much damage to Premier League level defenders to be honest. Not saying he’s a bad player or anything, but definitely don’t think he’s a £20mil striker. I’m hoping we’re looking elsewhere, and that Wikipedia is indeed correct ha ha

F8B41DA8-E7C4-40D9-816A-7CE5EA5E6687.png

I’m a big fan of Armstrong and think he’d fit into Norwich’s style very well.

Like Pukki he has clever movement, loves a through ball and is a very clinical finisher. Feel he has the ability to be a long term Pukki replacement. Add in that he doesn’t need to adapt to English football and is only 24 means he’d be an excellent addition. 

There is a lot to like about him, which is probably why another Premier League club will jump for him at a price of around £13m - £15m as the window progresses. 

• Like 1

It was thought that player's worth might be less than expected after the pandemic.

The rush for players hasn't happened yet so £20M may be too much.

But considering Newcastle paid £15M for Lewis, in terms of a striker's worth, £20M might be the market price.

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’m a big fan of Armstrong and think he’d fit into Norwich’s style very well.

Like Pukki he has clever movement, loves a through ball and is a very clinical finisher. Feel he has the ability to be a long term Pukki replacement. Add in that he doesn’t need to adapt to English football and is only 24 means he’d be an excellent addition. 

There is a lot to like about him, which is probably why another Premier League club will jump for him at a price of around £13m - £15m as the window progresses. 

Interesting, Bethnal - I will have to watch him more closely as quite admittedly all I’ve really seen of him is highlight videos and that can of course be quite dangerous to judge someone by either way! He just looks like a fox in the box type to me - that’s not a bad thing at all of course, but I did find myself looking at each goal thinking ‘does he score that against a better level of defender?’ way too much!

No way we should pay anything like £20m for Armstrong and not should anyone else. Decent finisher but was completely ineffective in the games against us and we will be playing better sides and defences than ours from last season every week in the premier. Half that figure and it’s worth considering. 

15 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting, Bethnal - I will have to watch him more closely as quite admittedly all I’ve really seen of him is highlight videos and that can of course be quite dangerous to judge someone by either way! He just looks like a fox in the box type to me - that’s not a bad thing at all of course, but I did find myself looking at each goal thinking ‘does he score that against a better level of defender?’ way too much!

Same as Bethnal- he's the most like Pukki of any of the strikers in the Championship in that he thrives on clever runs and movement. 

I'm a bit confused as to your point about poor quality defending- he's scoring these goals against the same defences we are.

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

No way we should pay anything like £20m for Armstrong and not should anyone else. Decent finisher but was completely ineffective in the games against us and we will be playing better sides and defences than ours from last season every week in the premier. Half that figure and it’s worth considering. 

He was ineffective against us but we were the league leaders and he didn't have the same quality feeding him, which makes it a little harder to judge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm a bit confused as to your point about poor quality defending- he's scoring these goals against the same defences we are.

What is there to be confused about?

We are not playing in the Championship next season. 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was ineffective against us but we were the league leaders and he didn't have the same quality feeding him, which makes it a little harder to judge.

Yeah, Blackburn were the second highest players of through balls last season but the quality wouldn't have been close to what our guys were supplying.

26 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He is very Pukki like Alex and yet he probably has a yard (or two) more pace than Teemu.  Would love him here but fear we will miss out (assuming we are actually interested).  He is also the right age and i'm confident the lad knows where the goal is.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

What is there to be confused about?

We are not playing in the Championship next season. 

Because I don't think any of us would play down Pukkis got scoring for the same reason.

He can only score v who he plays against.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Because I don't think any of us would play down Pukkis got scoring for the same reason.

He can only score v who he plays against.

Sure, I get that and respect that, KC. But next season presents a much bigger challenge, and at least with Pukki, I know when he’s FIT* that he’s quite capable in the Premier League and also at international level - 2 areas this lad is completely unproven.

*I’ve highlighted the ‘fit’ part only because they’ll be some clever d1ck that will bring him up at the Euro’s and the second half of the Prem season when he was most definitely not fit!

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Sure, I get that and respect that, KC. But next season presents a much bigger challenge, and at least with Pukki, I know when he’s FIT* that he’s quite capable in the Premier League and also at international level - 2 areas this lad is completely unproven.

*I’ve highlighted the ‘fit’ part only because they’ll be some clever d1ck that will bring him up at the Euro’s and the second half of the Prem season when he was most definitely not fit!

I think that'll apply to any striker options we look at to be honest though. Proven Premier league goal scorers aren't coming to Norwich, so we have to judge whether a player can step up from a weaker league.

• Like 1

Didn't Blackburn have big money troubles a few years back? Maybe they are just trying to hold out for a larger figure, if he wants to leave it'll happen eventually

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think that'll apply to any striker options we look at to be honest though. Proven Premier league goal scorers aren't coming to Norwich, so we have to judge whether a player can step up from a weaker league.

This is very true, KC, and if he came here then the moment he pulled the shirt on I’m sure I’d think he’s the greatest player in the world, as I do with anyone that wears the yellow and green. I will point out that I don’t profess to know much about him as I said earlier, possibly a little unfair from myself on him, but I just felt watching the highlight reels that I wasn’t watching someone that screamed Premier League - whereas I watch someone like Rashica and he instinctively very much looks decent Premier League quality to me. 

5 hours ago, chicken said:

First two games he was started there, 3rd he was a sub, fourth he wasn't wide at all. First game Vs Brum he played RM in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Rhodes up top as the lone striker. 2nd game he played right of a forward three in a 4-3-3 with Rhodes central, Pukki to the right and Hernandez on the left.

Game three was Vs Stevenege in the cup where he was used as a 78th minute substitute for Cantwell on the left of an attacking 3 behind the striker.

Game four looked like this:
image.png.c8ddee76674ecf35aaf9a0e0c8608a61.png

Only 4 still on board from that team Chicken!

11 hours ago, AJ said:

Didn't Blackburn have big money troubles a few years back? Maybe they are just trying to hold out for a larger figure, if he wants to leave it'll happen eventually

Paddy Davitt said a while back that Adam Armstrong might be available for as little as £8m, so Blackburn keen to start a bidding war. 

52 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Paddy Davitt said a while back that Adam Armstrong might be available for as little as £8m, so Blackburn keen to start a bidding war. 

Definitely seems like it to me, I gather they are just holding out for as much money as they can but teams will stay away if they know they can get him cheaper later in the window, especially if he does want to leave. Can't see him wanting to stay if a Prem club is offering him a chance 

Allegedly we have made a substantial bid for Armstrong in the last day or so. 

9 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Being discussed in the transfer rumour thread as we speak.

• Like 1

We’re obviously not going to be able to afford proven PL strikers, and I don’t think we can afford Armstrong for £20m. The report that says we’ve also included Idah in the deal (unknown whether it’s loan or permanent) I find hard to believe as we’re currently looking to sign another striker and can’t see us letting Idah go as he’s in Farke’s plans for this season. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Hugill though

Although Armstrong’s not proven in the PL he’s well proven in the Championship and at 24 he would be an ideal replacement for Pukki, who will be 32 next March

Edited by HazzaJet

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

Amusing, just googled it and the first two results are

'Norwich make huge big!' Followed by 'Southampton closing in and set to sign..'

Wonder which of them is right?

On 06/07/2021 at 21:34, sonyc said:

He is very Pukki like Alex and yet he probably has a yard (or two) more pace than Teemu.  Would love him here but fear we will miss out (assuming we are actually interested).  He is also the right age and i'm confident the lad knows where the goal is.

https://newsfounded.com/finlandeng/teemu-pukki-picks-up-pace-at-european-championships-here-are-the-fastest-players-in-the-game-sports/

Teemu is incredibly quick over 10 yards