Sign in to follow this  

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021/july/drmic-completes-loan-move-to-hnk-rijeka

Not a great deal for us really as there's no way Rijeka will be paying a large proportion of his wages, but I guess if there are so few takers then it's damage limitation in a financial sense.

I actually think you might be wrong about that, they obviously like him and will be hoping to pick him up on a free, I think it’s likely we got them to up their contribution now he’s gone there and played ok and is probably a target for them, something they could lose if we sent him somewhere else.. I still think that might only be a third of them but still, better than us paying all of it and him at home like Lietner was last season. Also likely cheaper than the termination of contract option or they would have likely gone down that route.

Edited by birchfest

Fair play to him wanting to play at least. Here's hoping his form continues over there.

26 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Is that his final year of contract? 

I'm fairly certain that it is, so this should be the end of him as a Norwich player.

20 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I actually think you might be wrong about that, they obviously like him and will be hoping to pick him up on a free, I think it’s likely we got them to up their contribution now he’s gone there and played ok and is probably a target for them, something they could lose if we sent him somewhere else.. I still think that might only be a third of them but still, better than us paying all of it and him at home like Lietner was last season. Also likely cheaper than the termination of contract option or they would have likely gone down that route.

Drmic must be on £20k a week here, and no Croatian club other than maybe Dinamo Zagreb could get close to that, surely? But Rijeka offering a small proportion, even a quarter, of his wages is better than nothing when compared to Leitner's situation last season.

Was hoping he would be sold so we could at least get some money for him, but a loan is better than nothing. Like others have said, I doubt Rijeka will be paying his full wages but at least we won’t be paying it all. The reason it’s just a loan is all to obvious - they were linked to signing him recently with us supposed believed to be looking to see if we could get a better offer, so do want him. However, they know he will out of contract next summer and is not wanted by us so intend to have him on loan this season, and then sign him permanently as a free agent next summer

34 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Is that his final year of contract? 

Yes - Klose, Trybull, Thompson, Oxborough, Rupp, Cantwell and Pukki are all entering their final year as well. Leitner, Stiepermann, and Heise also only had one year left though I think we let Heise go for nothing was because we knew we weren’t going to be able to get much for him, and had more desire to get him out of the club rather than a transfer fee

20 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Yes - Klose, Trybull, Thompson, Oxborough, Rupp, Cantwell and Pukki are all entering their final year as well. Leitner, Stiepermann, and Heise also only had one year left though I think we let Heise go for nothing was because we knew we weren’t going to be able to get much for him, and had more desire to get him out of the club rather than a transfer fee

Cantwell and Pukki both have an option for another year I believe so effectively 2

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

Their average home attendance is 4000 (pre-covid), their ground holds just over 8000, and data online seems to suggest that most of their players are on lower League One wages, a range of about £80k to £150k a year.

So I doubt they are paying much.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

29 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Cantwell and Pukki both have an option for another year I believe so effectively 2

I know Cantwell does but don’t know about Pukki. Can’t see us not offering them new contracts though

3 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

Good luck to him it didn't work out and that's a shame, glad we never spent big on him. 

He was heavily rumoured to be our highest paid player...

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Their average home attendance is 4000 (pre-covid), their ground holds just over 8000, and data online seems to suggest that most of their players are on lower League One wages, a range of about £80k to £150k a year.

So I doubt they are paying much.

I get that, the point I mean is I’d imagine we have a little bit of leverage to get them to pay a bit more. If it would have been cheaper to terminate his contract we would have done so, but the deal obviously suited us well enough to do it again.

17 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I get that, the point I mean is I’d imagine we have a little bit of leverage to get them to pay a bit more. If it would have been cheaper to terminate his contract we would have done so, but the deal obviously suited us well enough to do it again.

Probably a bit more than they paid last season, yeah, especially if they wanted him through the door nice and early in pre-season - as we could have been stubborn and taken a punt on a better offer later in the window.

Genuinely one of, if not the, most consistently worst performers I've ever seen in a city shirt. A free signing at the time made sense but sadly the truth revealed was you literally get what you paid for in some cases. Wish him well, and the deal is sensible as keeps him in the shop window and we recoup some of his wages

Weird one. You can’t knock he was once a Swiss international and has certainly had his moments playing in Germany. Ticked the boxes really but didn’t work out unfortunately - I can see totally why we signed him though, he had his injury problems granted but had a decent pedigree, certainly for someone available on a free. 

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Genuinely one of, if not the, most consistently worst performers I've ever seen in a city shirt. A free signing at the time made sense but sadly the truth revealed was you literally get what you paid for in some cases. Wish him well, and the deal is sensible as keeps him in the shop window and we recoup some of his wages

You’ve never seen Jason Jarrett or Peter Thorne then clearly 

Drmic wasn’t a bad player and could score but was never going to get a run of games for us to show his true worth 

7 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Drmic wasn’t a bad player and could score but was never going to get a run of games for us to show his true worth 

Being fair to Peter Thorne, he'd put up pretty good numbers for the majority of his career and previously had a good strike partnership with Earnie during his time at Cardiff, but he came here and was a complete sicknote for 2 seasons and then went back to scoring again after leaving us!

Yes, he was dire for us, but certainly was a bad player overall.

11 hours ago, Yobocop said:

As Indy says above, just a poor patch for Thorne sadly. Jarrett was nothing special I agree. Sadly seen a lot of poor signing in my time as a Norwich supporter. Drmic was meant to be competition for Pukki but was well away from keeping him out of the side, and Drmic did get a run of games towards the end of the season when Pukki wasn't fit but couldn't use that platform to earn himself the chance to stay at the club so that says it all. He scored once in 21 appearances in the Prem, averaging 30 minutes per appearance. In his last 10 games he played 45+ minutes in 7 of those games and failed to do anything of note apart from getting himself sent off.

He did score 2 in the FA cup though, including that great pen shootout win against Spurs we got to enjoy just before lockdown so there's one good memory.

Wonder what the total is of cash we’ve pissed away on poor players, RVW, Naismith, Leitner, Dirmic the list goes in. Must be tens of millions.