Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How do you rate this 11?

Would have to see how the new editions settle in, last season championship and to be fair the team looks pretty similar and this season is the premier league.

Feels a bit lightweight generally, might struggle with the physical battles. Harsh to drop Hanley from the first XI. But as above, a lot depends on new signings hitting the ground running.

On the whole, I'd say it looks slightly stronger, mainly due to the fact that we really struggled for quality central midfielders last time round; I don't think any of them really performed at the required level.

11 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Feels a bit lightweight generally, might struggle with the physical battles. Harsh to drop Hanley from the first XI. But as above, a lot depends on new signings hitting the ground running.

The easy way to solve both problems would be to put Hanley in for Dowell and go 3-4-2-1.

47 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Is amusing saying it looks lightweight given you have two 6ft 6 players, one at the back and one in the middle and all

But I do get where you are coming from

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Is amusing saying it looks lightweight given you have two 6ft 6 players, one at the back and one in the middle and all

But I do get where you are coming from

Peter Crouch was a 6'7" bantamweight, so height doesn't necessarily mean much! The lack of physicality for one so tall is allegedly an issue with Ajer.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Peter Crouch was a 6'7" bantamweight, so height doesn't necessarily mean much! The lack of physicality for one so tall is allegedly an issue with Ajer.

We got rid of a tall guy who wasn't overly physical in Stiepermann. Could say the same about Klose too, for that matter.

16 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

We got rid of a tall guy who wasn't overly physical in Stiepermann. Could say the same about Klose too, for that matter.

Indeed, height and physicality don't necessarily go hand in hand. Grant Holt, Jordan Hugill and Ben Godfrey are only 6' yet they were/are all very physical players.

23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To be far Crouch has represented his country at Wembely and won the FA cup,  so he's not done badly 😉

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be far Crouch has represented his country at Wembely and won the FA cup,  so he's not done badly 😉

Of course, I wasn't suggesting that he's a bad player due to a lack of physicality. He had excellent technique and was still a massive threat in the air despite not being overly strong or aggressive.

I am not a fan of Billing.Whenever I watched him he didn't appear to be physical enough,there was no urgency in his movement without the ball.Generally I classed him as slow.
As for Ajer (if we get him) having watched a few videos of him there are non showing any aerial ability,which apparently is one of his weaknesses,although he does seem to be comfortable with the ball at his feet both defending and attacking.
There has been a lot of talk that we should consider playing 3 at the back.With two wing backs it leaves 5 to pick.One would assume that Rashica,Gilmour and Pukki are 'shoe-ins'  which just leaves 2 to pick from Cantwell,McLean,Dowell,Rupp,Skipp(?) and possibly one or two new faces.
Possibly good competition for starting places

Edited by Grumpy

Plus, although we're pretty fluid positionally I can see Cantwell being switched to the right to accommodate Raschida on the left...to start the game with anyway.